LOST!!!!

retro1983hat

Finished up Season 5 last night. Probably a little too early since we still have 2.5 weeks to go. Still TONS of questions to answer.

And it seemed to me that Jacob fully expected to be killed. He basically asked for it. I'm guessing that in order to "prove" to the other guy what he's trying to prove, he's willing to sacrifice himself for it.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
Refresh my memory. Who was Jacob?

That's still a little hard to answer. He is one of the two major forces on the island, or at least was until Ben killed him. He seemed to represent good and lived inside the 4 toed statue.

He has been the hidden leader of The Others for a long long time.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Jacob

I love lostpedia!

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
That's still a little hard to answer. He is one of the two major forces on the island, or at least was until Ben killed him. He seemed to represent good and lived inside the 4 toed statue.

He has been the hidden leader of The Others for a long long time.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Jacob

I love lostpedia!

Ah yes. Now I remember. It's all starting to come back to me.

My argument would be that they could set up a different story in the same setting, adding to the "world" they've created. It depends on how much of the past they show in season 6, but I would be VERY interested in a show about the history of the island. You could essentially create the same show but circa the 18th century (the black rock crew for example), or even ancient times.

I agree that Star Trek is different; a very basic story - searching the universe - with stories contained within the episodes. But at the same time, Lost broke the mold on a new generation of scripted television. Who's to say they couldn't continue reinventing the wheel? I think at the very least ABC has to get some writers together to see what they can come up with. It's too good of a story not to. The biggest issue is whether they can recreate the insanse amount of details that cause people to research obscure things (philosophy, religion, books, music, whatever) to see how it fits and to talk about it with their friends afterwards.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)
My argument would be that they could set up a different story in the same setting, adding to the "world" they've created. It depends on how much of the past they show in season 6, but I would be VERY interested in a show about the history of the island. You could essentially create the same show but circa the 18th century (the black rock crew for example), or even ancient times.

I agree that Star Trek is different; a very basic story - searching the universe - with stories contained within the episodes. But at the same time, Lost broke the mold on a new generation of scripted television. Who's to say they couldn't continue reinventing the wheel? I think at the very least ABC has to get some writers together to see what they can come up with. It's too good of a story not to. The biggest issue is whether they can recreate the insanse amount of details that cause people to research obscure things (philosophy, religion, books, music, whatever) to see how it fits and to talk about it with their friends afterwards.

Heck, how much could they do on the original Jacob story?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)
The biggest issue is whether they can recreate the insanse amount of details that cause people to research obscure things (philosophy, religion, books, music, whatever) to see how it fits and to talk about it with their friends afterwards.

Exactly. That is what makes LOST what it is. The problem i have is that with Star Trek, it's theoretically an infinite series. Just wark off to another solar system and you have next weeks episode with new aliens and new problems.

With LOST, in many ways, you are confined to a single island's story with a finite history.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:51 AM)
Heck, how much could they do on the original Jacob story?

We'll have to see how much of it they cover. They make it clear in the season 5 finale that this battle or conflict between Jacob and that other guy has been going on forever. So there's no reason they couldn't shift the focus from a group of people that crashed on the island on a plane to a group that crashed on the island on a slave ship.

And they may or may not answer this, but there could be a lot of stories about the temple, the 4 toed statute, etc. Basically how these places came to be, where the others came from, how they've continued to exist from generation to generation, etc.

If darlton isn't involved in the Lost spinoff's or what not then I'm not going to watch I don't think. They created this show and I don't want to watch something that people who had nothing to do with Lost before wrote, because it would just be their take.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
If darlton isn't involved in the Lost spinoff's or what not then I'm not going to watch I don't think. They created this show and I don't want to watch something that people who had nothing to do with Lost before wrote, because it would just be their take.

JJ Abrams created the show but I know what you mean. I wouldn't follow any syndicated hour spin offs. It would just ruin things.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
JJ Abrams created the show but I know what you mean. I wouldn't follow any syndicated hour spin offs. It would just ruin things.

While JJ started it, my impression was that he is rarely involved with it. He's very hands off and lets Darlton do most of the work.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
There are tons of writers on the show. Yes, Cuse and Lindeloff have the final say, but I think some other people could take the reins and do just fine.

Here's an interesting read on what could have been for the series:

http://scifiwire.com/2010/01/20-crazy-things-that-near.php

I actually would of liked a Keamy centric episode in Season 4. He was a badass. Damn strike.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
There are tons of writers on the show. Yes, Cuse and Lindeloff have the final say, but I think some other people could take the reins and do just fine.

Here's an interesting read on what could have been for the series:

http://scifiwire.com/2010/01/20-crazy-things-that-near.php

I'm pretty sure the people who write the episodes that darlton doesn't are told how the episode needs to start, what majors things happen, and how it ends. So basically the only two people on the planet who have any idea whats happening with that show are darlton.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
I'm pretty sure the people who write the episodes that darlton doesn't are told how the episode needs to start, what majors things happen, and how it ends. So basically the only two people on the planet who have any idea whats happening with that show are darlton.

That is correct. There is a very small inner circle

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)

What does that have to do with anything? The staff of writers still wrote the vast majority of the series. So they were given a framework? That's what would happen in any subsequent show (i.e., they have the framework of what's already been revealed about the island/it's people/whatever). They're the ones with the knowledge/skills to continue on within the world that the Lost creatores have created. This may have been "darlton's" story, but that doesn't mean someone else can't create a seperate one.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
What does that have to do with anything? The staff of writers still wrote the vast majority of the series. So they were given a framework? That's what would happen in any subsequent show (i.e., they have the framework of what's already been revealed about the island/it's people/whatever). They're the ones with the knowledge/skills to continue on within the world that the Lost creatores have created. This may have been "darlton's" story, but that doesn't mean someone else can't create a seperate one.

Those people have no idea what the island means, or anything. Only Damon and Carlton do so basically it be like you guys watching what I think is Lost, I don't want to watch other peoples opinions on Lost, I want to watch the two people who have worked on Lost the longest opinion on the show. Any spinoff is going to take away from what I believe to be one of the greatest shows ever, and will end up killing this great series. It wouldn't work as good as Star Trek or other shows do because those shows are stories based off a concept where as lost is a show where the concept is the story.