LOST!!!!

retro1983hat

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 12, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
I was fine with the episode as I believe it provided the background for what will be the final conflict. Some interesting thoughts (and one not so interesting that I had)

1) It seemed to me that the "mother" was trying to have MIB kill her. That is why she says "Thank You" at the end. Perhaps she could only be killed by Jacob or MIB, and the reason why she loved MIB more was that she knew one day he would be the one to free her from the island.

2) I believe the knife used to kill the mother is the same knife that Jacob and MIB have been trying to use to kill eachother.

3) The name "Jacob" would imply that the people were of Greek origin. Jacob is a hebrew name and therefore would not have been one taken by Egyptians. The language that they were speaking seemed Greek and there is a variation of Jacob in Greek.

4) From this episode it now seems unclear how much Jacob truly knows. His mother never fully explained his purpose, and what he has stated previously (that they need to stop MIB from leaving the island) is not exactly what his mother stated (they need to protect the light from others.) While it seems that the outcome would be similar (darkness for all), it may or may not be true that MIB actually has to stay on the island. Furthermore, the transformation of to MIB, is entirely unexplained and may never be understood by Jacob.

5) MIB is called "special" and can see dead people. Walt is called special. Is there some sort of connection that will unfold?

6) What is Jacob's real mothers role in this? It was implied that she was the one telling MIB how to find a way off the island. It also was implied that the fake mother knew that this would work. It would seem that eventually the wheel does get created, but for whatever reason can no longer get MIB off the island.

I think the episode has some foreshadowing as well, its just hard to know without seeing the end.

Great theories!

You made me think of some things... I'll respond to your points as a way for me to articulate it...

1. What if... because their "mother" was only able to be killed by Jacob, and that made Jacob her successor,... what if Ben is Jacob's successor because he killed Jacob? What if Ben was the only person that was able to kill Jacob, while the only person that's able to kill MiB/Flocke haven't done so yet. What if... the person that's supposed to kill Flocke is Jack,... and Jack will be the successor to the MiB, and be stuck on the island in the same way as a prisoner?

2. Was that the same knife MiB gave Ben to kill Jacob? I don't remember. It does look like the same knife Dogun gave Sayid at the temple to kill MiB/Flocke, though.

3. The closed captioning on my tv said they were speaking Latin, hopes that helps. :)

4. I agree. Also, this episode made Jacob seem too naive and less credible. In fact, his naive ways of obeying his "Mother" kind of reminds me of how Ben blindly obeyed the orders of Jacob even though he never saw him. I am now fully on the side of the MiB, I like him a lot more and I think he's more intelligent than Jacob. MiB also symbolizes free will to me, and while his whole "ends to a mean" comment kind of sounds cold, I often agree with that philosophy and it's how I would play the game of "Survivor" if I ever had the chance to play it.

5. I think lots of people can be special. Wasn't Locke special because he was no longer paralyzed? Miles and Hurley are special because they can communicate with the dead. Walt just happened to have been the first one we were told was special, I don't really think there's any other significance. However, I would LOVE it if in the last episode the island jump forward in time to 2010 or later just so they can have an excuse to have the actor who played Walt reprise his role.

6. I think her role was nothing more than to show how the conflict between Jacob and MiB all started. Also, their birth mother Claudia reminded me of a lot of tragic myths.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 12, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)
I wanted more clarity in who their mom was. Why was she on the island and who picked her for that role? Where those people the first "Others" or where there more before them? Were all the temples and statues created yet? Who created them anyway?

I think "those people" were the first people, or one of the first people that were in the same situation as the Oceanic crash survivors, Rousseou's team, and the Ajira survivors.

I think Jacob and MiB were the first "Others", along with their mother. Except MiB defected from the Others and joined the shipwreck victims the same way Juliette left the Others and joined the Oceanic Flight 316 crash survivors.

I think at some point after the death of MiB, Jacob started building his own group of followers, the Others, and as they grew bigger he prolly commanded them from the temple by giving orders to just Richard or something.

Just theories.

I also really liked this episode. I thought it answered a lot of questions about the conflict between Jacob and MiB. Even though it didn't answer questions about the origins of the island itself, I thought it really showed us more of who Jacob and MiB really were.

There is such a wide range of opinions on last nights episode on blogs, lostpedia, and other things. Ranging from worst episode of the series to best episode of the series.

I liked the episode. I didn't feel it was one of the best of the series because its not even close, but I still liked it. I think whether someone liked it or not fully depends on if they expected everything to be answered or not. The writers are not going to give us the exact literal answer of what the island is, because that in the end would take away from the greatness of the show.

Here goes my two cents...

I agree with SS2K in that you need to see where we go from here.

The confusing part to me is ok MIB is dead that is why they show us the Jack/Kate/Locke scene from season one but then how is his knowledge passed on to build the wheel and what not. I wish we would have gotten a deeper sense of this. I did like the black/white - science/faith storyline shoved in our face.

The Claudia group (they were speaking Latin and Claudia is a Roman name) were not the first people to come to the island as the "mother" gave us the old "it always ends the same" line. I think she could take the form of smokie thus her killing and pillaging the "Others" from this episode.

The mother is egyptian as the game she gave MIB was egyptian and I think the weaving was egyptian thus the hieroglypics, statue, etc. were already on the island before last night's episode. My problem with this was, how did she get her role.

One thing I forgot was smokie and Ben had hte run in last season at the temple. I wonder why smokie did not kill him there..........

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 12, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
Here goes my two cents...

I agree with SS2K in that you need to see where we go from here.

The confusing part to me is ok MIB is dead that is why they show us the Jack/Kate/Locke scene from season one but then how is his knowledge passed on to build the wheel and what not. I wish we would have gotten a deeper sense of this. I did like the black/white - science/faith storyline shoved in our face.

The Claudia group (they were speaking Latin and Claudia is a Roman name) were not the first people to come to the island as the "mother" gave us the old "it always ends the same" line. I think she could take the form of smokie thus her killing and pillaging the "Others" from this episode.

The mother is egyptian as the game she gave MIB was egyptian and I think the weaving was egyptian thus the hieroglypics, statue, etc. were already on the island before last night's episode. My problem with this was, how did she get her role.

One thing I forgot was smokie and Ben had hte run in last season at the temple. I wonder why smokie did not kill him there..........

He needed Ben to kill Jacob.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2010 -> 06:00 PM)
This episode would have been better off before the season finale from last season.

It would of made no sense then since we hadn't actually seen Jacob or MIB until the beginning of the season finale.

There is an interview with the guy that played Jacob and said there back story is not done being told. Which kind of makes me think that last nights episode was even more of a waste.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 13, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
It would of made no sense then since we hadn't actually seen Jacob or MIB until the beginning of the season finale.

There is an interview with the guy that played Jacob and said there back story is not done being told. Which kind of makes me think that last nights episode was even more of a waste.

I thought we had seen them on the island. If the first time was the finale, then it should have been one of the initial episodes this season.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 13, 2010 -> 05:16 AM)
I didn't think the episode was too bad, but then again I did come away dissapointed. I liked the adam and eve scene with the flashbacks at the end. That is one thing I was really hoping they were going to answer.

The most important thing I took from the flashbacks is that Kate was a lot hotter and less muscular when the show started.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
The most important thing I took from the flashbacks is that Kate was a lot hotter and less muscular when the show started.

I only saw the end of the episode and I saw Kate and went "damn that's the best I've seen her look for a while" and now reading the recaps, it's an old scene from season 1. Dang. :bang

I must admit when thinking back on this past week's episode it seemed like one of those random made for tv movies you'd see on the SyFy network. Lame costumes and dialogue, mostly obscure actors and low budget effects.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 12, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
I have a very strong fear that that was the end of any pre-modern times island story. I think that's all they are going to give us. Which was a big mountain of dog s***. They dropped the creativity ball so hard on that one. I could have written a more interesting and entertaining back story for the 2 biggest (and most important) characters of the last 2 seasons (if not the show).

And I don't buy that the writers knew who adam/eve were. Adam/Eve were a couple, not a mother and her "son." What a crock of poop.

I thought Adam and Eve were initially Rose and her husband from many many episodes ago.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 13, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
I must admit when thinking back on this past week's episode it seemed like one of those random made for tv movies you'd see on the SyFy network. Lame costumes and dialogue, mostly obscure actors and low budget effects.

Agreed, it was cringe worthy. Some interesting stuff in this interview: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-wat...-across-the-sea

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 13, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)

I wish they had used more obscure actors. I thought Allison Janney's performance was fine, but her presence was distracting. I couldn't help thinking of her as "Allison Janney the actress" instead of her character. It was like Sam Malone showing up in the middle of WWII in Saving Private Ryan.

Apart from that, I thought the episode was fine. I especially liked the parallels between the purge of Smokey's crew and what later happened to the D.I.