LOST!!!!

retro1983hat

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ May 13, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
They're not.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

I mean I can understand how people could not like the show after the first 2 two season once it branched out (thougth I still love it to this day. Best TV series in a long long time), but they certainly haven't become any less pointless.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 13, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
I mean I can understand how people could not like the show after the first 2 two season once it branched out (thougth I still love it to this day. Best TV series in a long long time), but they certainly haven't become any less pointless.

Lot of people this the Swan station in Season 2 has become an after thought, not realizing the electromagnetism is what has sent Desmond to the ALT and in the past in Season 3. SInce Desmond is conciously jumping to the ALT knowing about both time lines, I would say Season 2 is still pretty significant.

I see LOST as an onion. One the top layer, it was a deserted island and we got characters back story and surviving together in Season 1. Peel off a layer, you have the Others on the other side of the island, another layer off and we see DHarma was there, peel off another layer and you go even further back to the center which is what we got in this weeks lackluster episode.

Nothing has been irrelevant. The island's history just keeps going further back.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 13, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)

With the amount of money invested in this show this is not the kind of production we should expect.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 13, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
How are they becoming pointless?

Because 99% of the stuff we watched is pointless, from the mysterious stations to the crazy orientation videos which just turned out to be orientation videos. Ben has been reduced to an afterthought as now the only thing that really matters is the battle between these two "brothers".

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 13, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
With the amount of money invested in this show this is not the kind of production we should expect.

Well that was one episode. The production values for the rest of the show/episodes have been pretty spectacular

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 13, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)
Well that was one episode. The production values for the rest of the show/episodes have been pretty spectacular

I was just doing my best impersonation of you but using Lost instead of the Sox. :P

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 13, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
Because 99% of the stuff we watched is pointless, from the mysterious stations to the crazy orientation videos which just turned out to be orientation videos. Ben has been reduced to an afterthought as now the only thing that really matters is the battle between these two "brothers".

I'm with you, this latest episode sucked and pretty much everything up until season 6 was a waste of time.

part of the fun of LOST in the first few seasons was guessing what all this stuff meant....postulating what was important and why...why was it important that Sawyer drank with Jacks dad in Australia? Did the fortune teller Claire saw really know what was going to happen? etc etc....as time went on it became increasingly clear that this stuff just frankly didnt matter....they were props to get us talking about the show, meanwhile the producers went on to provide absolutely nothing essential about the island until the final season. Seemingly the two most important players/characters we just really got to know in this last episode. The more and more weird twists the show added, made me expect the unexpected, and the show lost all sorts of "WOW" factors for me. Its really a shame, the show was SOOOOOO good for 2.5-3 seasons....even the 4th season was pretty good. Seasons 5 and 6 for me have been very average and its just sucks to see something i enjoyed that much end in mediocrity

all that said, i absolutely expect the last 2 episodes to blow my socks off

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 12, 2010 -> 05:27 AM)
That was maybe the worst episode in the entire series. What a complete waste of time.

I think they might have been trying to establish a spin-off for Jacob and MIB. In the future, it will probably be seen as a throw-away episode, much like the "Kelly's Kids" episode in season 5 of "The Brady Bunch." http://www.bradyworld.com/episodes/fifth.htm#kelly

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 13, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
part of the fun of LOST in the first few seasons was guessing what all this stuff meant....postulating what was important and why...why was it important that Sawyer drank with Jacks dad in Australia? Did the fortune teller Claire saw really know what was going to happen? etc etc....as time went on it became increasingly clear that this stuff just frankly didnt matter....they were props to get us talking about the show, meanwhile the producers went on to provide absolutely nothing essential about the island until the final season. Seemingly the two most important players/characters we just really got to know in this last episode. The more and more weird twists the show added, made me expect the unexpected, and the show lost all sorts of "WOW" factors for me. Its really a shame, the show was SOOOOOO good for 2.5-3 seasons....even the 4th season was pretty good. Seasons 5 and 6 for me have been very average and its just sucks to see something i enjoyed that much end in mediocrity

all that said, i absolutely expect the last 2 episodes to blow my socks off

If the writers would respond they would say the show has always been about the characters and what happens to them, the mythology and mystery were always secondary. I've been a pretty devote follower of the official podcasts and EW recaps and all that jazz. They've ALWAYS stuck by that thought process.

But to me that was their failing. Yes, season 1 and 2 were all about who these people are, what their back story is, and what mystical force brought them all together on the island (I disagree that that stuff didn't matter - it clearly set in motion the idea that they were all somehow connected and chosen people that the island wanted, a theme that has continued throughout). Once Ben emerged though the show became more and more about the history and mythology of the island. It became less about getting to know the characters, because at that point we basically knew all we needed to know. So the audience switched gears and became heavily interested in the Others, in Dharma, in the Ben v. Widmore feud, Alpert, Jacob/Ben, etc. Throw in the time travel element, and we REALLY wanted to know who those people were and what they had been doing on the island before the main Lost characters even got to the island.

And from that point on they basically tried to toe the line and give the audience the best of both worlds, but it just hasn't worked. No one I talk to cares at all about the main characters anymore (in fact, most people despite Kate and Jake, think Sayid and Claire have been wasted, have been bored by the sun/jin story romance,etc). I really only care about MIB, Hurley and Sawyer (with minimal interest in Ben/Richard/Miles) I dunno, to me they've really done a poor job of mixing in answers to the mythological questions, while moving the plot line along.

I like how we've answered how Smokey came about by putting a completely unexplained core of light on the island now.

One answer just leads to countless more questions.

I did find the actual flashback to earlier season funny, just for the simple fact of how blazin' hot Kate was in the earlier seasons compared to now. She's too ripped.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 15, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
I thought the flashback was pretty insulting. Did they really think viewers were too stupid to get what the scene meant?

I thought that too. But I think the majority of viewers probably wouldn't have remembered that without the flashback.

QUOTE (kev211 @ May 15, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
I thought that too. But I think the majority of viewers probably wouldn't have remembered that without the flashback.

That's never been an issue before... it was so completely against how Lost has been done for 6 seasons now that I, too, found it annoying.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 15, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
That's never been an issue before... it was so completely against how Lost has been done for 6 seasons now that I, too, found it annoying.

I know a guy at the gym that was confused by it. He doesn't go on the net to research and talk about the show so he didn't even remember Adam and Eve. When they did insert that footage, it confused him. He thought that was present island action. ha