LOST!!!!

retro1983hat

I loved the ending.

The show got weak in seasons 5 and 6 when it felt like the writer's were explaining the show to a five year old.

Lost was best when it was more mystery than sci-fi; I am happy that the ending left things up to interpretation.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GREEDY @ May 23, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
I loved the ending.

The show got weak in seasons 5 and 6 when it felt like the writer's were explaining the show to a five year old.

Lost was best when it was more mystery than sci-fi; I am happy that the ending left things up to interpretation.

What about that ending was open to interpretation? They all died at some point and then at the end once they remembered their real lives and reconnected with the others from the island they passed on. The entire thing just feels like a giant cop out to me.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 23, 2010 -> 11:16 PM)
What about that ending was open to interpretation? They all died at some point and then at the end once they remembered their real lives and reconnected with the others from the island they passed on. The entire thing just feels like a giant cop out to me.

The only thing open to interpretation was the powers and mythos of the island which is probably the best way to go since there is no acceptable explanation for this. The reveal in the church is in and of itself a cop-out since it's a convenient way to give everyone a big shocking finale but avoid having to come up with a true explanation for the island's powers. The thing is, I just find it tough to get my ire up over the finale because I didn't expect any grand answers for the light at the heart of the island and any lame-ass crazy explanation they could come up with just wouldn't suffice so leaving it open to interpretation was the way to go, the alt universe being purgatory is neither horrible nor awesome because I didn't really give a s*** about the alt timeline to begin with, the on-island stuff was the only interesting action in the final season up until the in-purgatory flashbacks started happening.

Basically, they're trying to get a rise out of us with the purgatory angle because it distracts from them not answer any questions about the island's powers and I'm just not going to get upset over a possible lame explanation to a question that didn't interest me in the first place. The finale for me is flock killing Jack, Jack killing Flocke, Jack knowing that he's f***ed so he sacrificed himself to save the island, Hugo is the new Jacob, Ben in the new Richard, Miles, Frank, Kate, Sawyer, Richard and Claire all get off the island and the rest is open to your imagination, the end. Works for me.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 23, 2010 -> 11:16 PM)

Easy,

No direct explanation of what the island's purpose was.

No direct explanation of was this just "Jack's Life"?

No direct explanation of why some were in the church and some were not.

No direct explanation of the reasoning behind showing the plane's wreckage during the credits.

I could go on and on.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ May 23, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
What in the world COULD HAVE possibly explained the s*** on the island? Anything they would have tried to explain that with would have been truly terrible

Which is why an open ended finale was the only way to go, hard for me to get upset over that.

IMO the reason Alex, Michael, Walt, Ben, Anna Lucia, Elloise, Widmore, Daniel, and Charlotte (am I missing anyone?) weren't in the Church was because they weren't ready to move on yet

The Losties created the alternate timeline to remind themselves of the most important times of their life (when they were on the Island), and created the Church as a meeting place for when they were all dead, so they could meet each other once more before going to the afterlife, the alternate timeline was a pseudo-reality that they created to "live" in until everyone was dead

Not sure exactly what the order was of Losties who died, but basically Kate, Sawyer, Lapidus, Miles, Richard, and Claire all got off the island, and as they flew over, Jack saw their plane leave as he died along side Vincent

What I liked about this ending was it made "timeline" irrelevant, which is what I personally enjoyed most about the show, the characters

QUOTE (Real @ May 23, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
IMO the reason Alex, Michael, Walt, Ben, Anna Lucia, Elloise, Widmore, Daniel, and Charlotte (am I missing anyone?) weren't in the Church was because they weren't ready to move on yet

The Losties created the alternate timeline to remind themselves of the most important times of their life (when they were on the Island), and created the Church as a meeting place for when they were all dead, so they could meet each other once more before going to the afterlife, the alternate timeline was a pseudo-reality that they created to "live" in until everyone was dead

Not sure exactly what the order was of Losties who died, but basically Kate, Sawyer, Lapidus, Miles, Richard, and Claire all got off the island, and as they flew over, Jack saw their plane leave as he died along side Vincent

What I liked about this ending was it made "timeline" irrelevant, which is what I personally enjoyed most about the show, the characters

Ben not being ready to move on same with Anna Lucia was a way of hinting at this. I believe you're spot on.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 23, 2010 -> 11:23 PM)
The only thing open to interpretation was the powers and mythos of the island which is probably the best way to go since there is no acceptable explanation for this. The reveal in the church is in and of itself a cop-out since it's a convenient way to give everyone a big shocking finale but avoid having to come up with a true explanation for the island's powers. The thing is, I just find it tough to get my ire up over the finale because I didn't expect any grand answers for the light at the heart of the island and any lame-ass crazy explanation they could come up with just wouldn't suffice so leaving it open to interpretation was the way to go, the alt universe being purgatory is neither horrible nor awesome because I didn't really give a s*** about the alt timeline to begin with, the on-island stuff was the only interesting action in the final season up until the in-purgatory flashbacks started happening.

Basically, they're trying to get a rise out of us with the purgatory angle because it distracts from them not answer any questions about the island's powers and I'm just not going to get upset over a possible lame explanation to a question that didn't interest me in the first place. The finale for me is flock killing Jack, Jack killing Flocke, Jack knowing that he's f***ed so he sacrificed himself to save the island, Hugo is the new Jacob, Ben in the new Richard, Miles, Frank, Kate, Sawyer, Richard and Claire all get off the island and the rest is open to your imagination, the end. Works for me.

What about Hume?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 23, 2010 -> 11:40 PM)
What about Hume?

Hurley's first mission as the new Jacob was to find him a way home, I assume he succeeded since he and Ben were pretty satisfied with their work on the island during their talk in purgatory.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ May 24, 2010 -> 04:24 AM)
What in the world COULD HAVE possibly explained the s*** on the island? Anything they would have tried to explain that with would have been truly terrible

So why did they paint themselves into a corner with so many mysteries that it became impossible to explain anything?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 23, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
So why did they paint themselves into a corner with so many mysteries that it became impossible to explain anything?

Well it is pretty hard to explain a smoke monster that can move and sound like that by any real world terms. There was never going to be a 'real' way to explain that.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 23, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)

They didn't paint themselves into a corner, they have said all along the island is what it is.

Obviously relative to the real world the island is completely ridiculous and impossible, so how would that be explained?

Edited by WHarris1