LOST!!!!

retro1983hat

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I expected to hate the ending but I really liked it. The way I took it is that the ALT has no time and they all just had to realize that the island was the best/most important thing that happened to them and once they all got it they could move on. It just took jack the "longest." I assumed that many of them lived long after the island(especially hurley and ben) but in a place like this it didn't matter when they died just when they came to that realization.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 23, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
Personally I expected to hate the ending but I really liked it. The way I took it is that the ALT has no time and they all just had to realize that the island was the best/most important thing that happened to them and once they all got it they could move on. It just took jack the "longest." I assumed that many of them lived long after the island(especially hurley and ben) but in a place like this it didn't matter when they died just when they came to that realization.

I think if they would've just taken 1 minute, just a cut or two, to show some of these lives post island I would have really liked it a lot more.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 24, 2010 -> 04:45 AM)
Well it is pretty hard to explain a smoke monster that can move and sound like that by any real world terms. There was never going to be a 'real' way to explain that.

We're not asking for real world scientific explanations. There can be magical elements. But we don't even know the fundamental purpose of things or major motivations.

What the hell was Smokey?

When Desmond and Jack went down the hole, they found a plug in a well. When MiB went down the hole, he immediately turned into a powerful demi-god. Huh?

Almost the whole season was people worrying about him getting off the island, but why? It's not like he was taking the Mystery Plug with him.

Edited by CrimsonWeltall

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 24, 2010 -> 12:59 AM)
They don't need a scientific explanation for how everything works. There can be magical elements. But we don't even know the fundamental purpose of things or major motivations.

Exactly, you can only write so many things off as the supernatural. Eventually, something needs a concreate explanation. Sadly, it turns out that LOST was really more about the metaphysical then it was about anything else.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 23, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
They don't need a scientific explanation for how everything works. There can be magical elements. But we don't even know the fundamental purpose of things or major motivations.

Agreed, spending 5 years building up the mythology of the island to basically answer nothing about the island is ridiculous. As was spending half of a season on the characters fakes lives in purgatory when it was completely irrelevant to the plot and not remotely creative.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ May 23, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
They didn't paint themselves into a corner, they have said all along the island is what it is.

Obviously relative to the real world the island is completely ridiculous and impossible, so how would that be explained?

ALIENS! The light is just discarded power goo from an alien craft that landed thousands of years ago. The island isn't actually special it's just being held together by volatile martian goo and a cork.

[i hope I didn't miss something here] The one thing that's kind of bothering me is the bulls*** with Ben being trapped under the tree, apparently that was just a few minutes of filler because not long after that he was up and about no worse for wear on the cliff with Sawyer, Kate, Jack and Hurley. I get it was probably just a way to delay them so that Jack and Flocke could battle it out but they just ignored his escape from the immovable tree. I suppose the obvious answer is that the island's vibrations moved the tree off Ben but they didn't even show that and he appeared to have no physical injury after having a f***ing tree fall on his abdomen.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ May 24, 2010 -> 01:06 AM)
This show was entirely about the characters

The writers have said multiple times that the Island is a character. So, what was the deal with the Island? I'm fine with things being vague, but when the only answer offered to me is to assume that it's metaphysical and fill in the blanks for there., i have no choice but to reject it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 24, 2010 -> 12:08 AM)
ALIENS! The light is just discarded power goo from an alien craft that landed thousands of years ago. The island isn't actually special it's just being held together by volatile martian goo and a cork.

[i hope I didn't miss something here] The one thing that's kind of bothering me is the bulls*** with Ben being trapped under the tree, apparently that was just a few minutes of filler because not long after that he was up and about no worse for wear on the cliff with Sawyer, Kate, Jack and Hurley. I get it was probably just a way to delay them so that Jack and Flocke could battle it out but they just ignored his escape from the immovable tree. I suppose the obvious answer is that the island's vibrations moved the tree off Ben but they didn't even show that and he appeared to have no physical injury after having a f***ing tree fall on his abdomen.

The tree annoyed me too. 4 people should have been able to get that thing lifted enough for him to get out in seconds.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 24, 2010 -> 03:52 AM)
The ending makes me feel like I wasted six years on this show.

Couldn't agree more with you. I wanted to like the finale to make the 6 year investment seem like a good one, but holy crap, this season was awful. I really thought Hurley's acting was beyond awful tonight. On the other hand, Elizabeth Mitchell is such a MILF.

Edited by fathom

Loved it. I don't think I could be more satisfied.

Anyone whose b****ing about what the island is and all the mythology I'm sorry you didn't realize the show was character driven when you watched it. You set yourself up for disappointment by expecting anything more then what we got in that department.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (kev211 @ May 24, 2010 -> 06:58 AM)
Anyone whose b****ing about what the island is and all the mythology I'm sorry you didn't realize the show was character driven when you watched it. You set yourself up for disappointment by expecting anything more then what we got in that department.

"The plot doesn't have to make sense; it's character driven!"...especially hard to buy that excuse when major characters have nonexistent or unexplained motivations.

The mythology has always been a huge part of the show, and many of those elements added nothing in terms of character development.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 24, 2010 -> 01:10 AM)
"The plot doesn't have to make sense; it's character driven!"...especially hard to buy that excuse when major characters have nonexistent or unexplained motivations.

The mythology has always been a huge part of the show, and many of those elements added nothing in terms of character development.

Where exactly does the plot not make sense for you?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 24, 2010 -> 01:14 AM)
Right, the island had nothing to do with what the show was ultimately revealed to be. It could have been any set of events tying a set of people together.

What was the show ultimately revealed to be? The alt is purgatory/afterlife, and the island is what you saw for 6 seasons.

Edited by kev211

I don't know why so many people are complaining about the finale.

I loved it. It exceeded my expectations, I thought it was epic.

I really loved how the alt turned out to be a purgatory/afterlife, and that a lot of the questions about the island is still left up for interpretations.

I was still crying 30 minutes after the finale was over. :(

I thought the finale was great. I had a feeling that the sideways world wasn't real, but I didn't think about it being a sort of purgatory. I'm glad that they didn't try to explain everything about the island. Had they made the island be a dream or purgatory, that would have seemed cheap. Essentially what they said was, the island was real, and everything that happened there was real.

Jack's father said it best when he told Jack that the time he spent with all of those people was the most important time of his life. They created that church to meet in the afterlife, and they had to find their way there by happening across each otherin the sideways world. I thought a nice touch was that the "awakenings" only occurred when they encountered those who they had significant interactions with on the island. Sayid with Shannon, Sun with Juliet, Sawyer with Juliet, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, the finale was perfect...except that it meant the end of Lost.

I've read fiction books before in my life. Sometimes they create fictional settings. Many times, while explaining how those fictional settings are and their properties, they don't explain the origin of it from the very beginning. Why? Because it's boring and irrelevant.

You know what was a boring episode? The origin of jacob and smokemonster. You know what would have been really boring? Sidetracking the last episode for a quick crash course about who created/discovered the island.

The writers keep trying to claim that this show was always character driven, which is tremendously flawed when the main drive of the show was mysteries on a weird island that the characters interacted with. Off the top of my head, (BTW I care about maybe half of these, but the issue still stands) Rather, then solve any of these more interesting mysteries we instead got the solution to a concept introduced at the start of the season.

Why was Walt so special?

Why was Aaron so special?

Ultimately, what were the repercussions of Aaron being raised by another?

Why did the Others kidnap Children and terrorize the LOST camp if their main purpose was to look after Jacobs main interest (The Candidates)?

What was the deal with Jacob’s Cabin?

Why did Aaron have to go back to the womb in purgatory?

Who shot at the group in the Outrigger during the Time Flash into 2007 in Season 5?

Who were the Degroots?

What was the true purpose of the Hanso Foundation?

Why was Pierre Change using fake names in the Dharma initiative videos?

Edited by Thunderbolt