LOST!!!!

retro1983hat

QUOTE (bmags @ May 24, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)
and those were all imperative to my understanding of the show.

6 Seasons of TV were built on these questions, the amount of time spent on Walt and Aaron demands an answer, and instead the Writers chose to have ignore these questions in favor of a metaphysical ending that demands guesswork and conjecture for the plot that drove the show sinces its inception. LOST used to be about plane crash survivors on an mysterious island, it turns out that it was "Chosen Ones" being hunted down and slaughtered by a mysterious being that has no name, and being terrorized by the utter contradiction of a group that served the man whom brought them there and swore to protect them, this man was locked into a blood feud with the being that has no name, who somehow developed the ability to turn into smoke by falling into a Golden Shower, and then tried to destroy the island by removing a magical cork at it's center. If i had been told that description at the start of it all, i probably would have quit before i ever became engrossed.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (juddling @ May 23, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
i know the creators said the very first scene in the pilot (jack opening his eye) was very important. there was talk about what was reflected in the eye. i guess it was the plane overhead as indicated by the last scene. so did the whole island storyline come about full circle?????

the creators were right....this wasn't going to satisfy eveyone and keep everyone talking

I remembered right before I went to bed last night that it was in that way the show started.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 24, 2010 -> 07:45 AM)
6 Seasons of TV were built on these questions, the amount of time spent on Walt and Aaron demands an answer, and instead the Writers chose to have ignore these questions in favor of a metaphysical ending that demands guesswork and conjecture for the plot that drove the show sinces its inception. LOST used to be about plane crash survivors on an mysterious island, it turns out that it was "Chosen Ones" being hunted down and slaughtered by a mysterious being that has no name, and being terrorized by the utter contradiction of a group that served the man whom brought them there and swore to protect them, this man was locked into a blood feud with the being that has no name, who somehow developed the ability to turn into smoke by falling into a Golden Shower, and then tried to destroy the island by removing a magical cork at it's center. If i had been told that description at the start of it all, i probably would have quit before i ever became engrossed.

C'mon dude, I think you were being wayyyy too demanding of "Lost". It would not have been the same if they tried to answer everything, sometimes the best way to go is to leave some mysteries that would be up to the viewers' interpretation. Appreciate the story for what it is.

Why did Aaron have to go back to the womb in purgatory?

the way i understand it, the child that claire gives birth to in the alternate'afterlife' wasnt really Aaron. Aaron had already been born, and lived his own life presumably with Claire after she flew off the island with Alpert, Lapidus, Kate, Sawyer, etc

the event of claire giving birth alongside Kate in the afterlife was to make her remember her life on the island

edit: I guess a better way of saying it was, Claire wasn't really giving birth. The alternate afterlife was their collective consciousness coming together as one, so it wasn't a corporeal world where a woman gives birth or whatever. It was all happening on a metaphysical/collective consciousness level

Edited by Real

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ May 24, 2010 -> 06:38 AM)
C'mon dude, I think you were being wayyyy too demanding of "Lost". It would not have been the same if they tried to answer everything, sometimes the best way to go is to leave some mysteries that would be up to the viewers' interpretation. Appreciate the story for what it is.

If the writers had tried to explain every nuance of the series, the finale would have been awful. George Lucas did that with the three Star Wars prequels, and they were terrible.

I thought the finale was excellent. I still don't quite get it all, but as a single episode meant to wrap up a series, it did well. Unanswered questions and all.

The only problem I had with the show was that if you tuned in every week and watched each episode, it was still pretty hard to have an understanding of what you were watching. Eventually, at some point during the six seasons, the show became a companion piece to the websites and blogs devoted to it.

Two of my beefs:

After selling the Sayid/Nadia love story for all these years were we really supposed to be convinced that Shannon, his 1 week fling, was his true love? Lame.

Also, the whole Michael/Walt thing. These were central characters for 4 seasons and not even a cameo yesterday but Shannon's stupid brother gets a big hug scene with Jack at the end?

Overall, I did enjoy the finale.

QUOTE (kev211 @ May 24, 2010 -> 06:22 AM)
Where exactly does the plot not make sense for you?

Haven't you been reading the thread?

They didn't explain the point of ultimate anything on the island: the light, the cork, Jacob, Smokey, the Rules, the contest, Desmond, time travel, etc. It's a giant MacGuffin.

QUOTE (kev211 @ May 24, 2010 -> 06:23 AM)
What was the show ultimately revealed to be? The alt is purgatory/afterlife, and the island is what you saw for 6 seasons.

Yes, I was referring to the alt/purgatory. I feel like they realized they couldn't think of a good way to wrap everything up, so they invented a completely new mystery (the alt) so they could solve it at the end. The only way it related to the island content is that the people were "purgatory-linked" because they went through a lot together.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 24, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
Two of my beefs:

After selling the Sayid/Nadia love story for all these years were we really supposed to be convinced that Shannon, his 1 week fling, was his true love? Lame.

Also, the whole Michael/Walt thing. These were central characters for 4 seasons and not even a cameo yesterday but Shannon's stupid brother gets a big hug scene with Jack at the end?

Overall, I did enjoy the finale.

Agree on the Sayid/Nadia thing. I haven't watched the first couple of seasons in a while, perhaps that romance/love angle was stronger than I originally thought. But even in the later seasons it seemed like he was longing for Nadia, not Shannon.

Michael was given a cameo an episode or two back, when he told Hurley he was stuck on the island, along with others. I assume that's where he stayed, and perhaps at some point when he's ready, he'll leave too. I think it was pretty clear that all of the good characters showed up at the church in the end, the rest are stuck behind/not heading to heaven.

I'll give the finale an A-. The "awakening" moments when everyone remembered each other were amazing. Great way to show old clips and to really give those moments some history/meaning. I'm sorta of split with the board here. 2 weeks ago I was pissed about the Jacob/MIB story as being totally lame and uninteresting. So I get the camp that wants answers to the questions that have been building all these years. But I'm coming around to the group that argues those answers don't matter. They're interesting, no doubt, but aren't important for the show. The island is magical, it has special properties, the end. Every little quirk they introduce isn't that important IMO.

My two biggest gripes: Desmond and Hawking. I'm still not sure what their role in all this is. Do they have the power to "see" the other side? If so, aren't they the same as Hurley/Miles? What's the difference?

Sad to see the show go. Luckily I have 120 hours to re-watch in the near future. Maybe we'll get more clues/meaning out of the earlier stuff.

Add me to the list of those who thought it was extremely well done.

I understand the frustration of those demanding more "answers," but I think providing them would not have been in keeping with the themes of the series. I accepted a couple seasons ago that that just wasn't going to happen, and I think my "letting go" of that (wink, wink) enhanced my enjoyment of it.

sooooo

that shot of the wrecked plane at the end.

was that the plane sawyer and co. were on? is that how they died? It certainly didn't look like the wreckage from the first episode

QUOTE (SnB @ May 24, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
sooooo

was that the plane sawyer and co. were on? is that how they died? It certainly didn't look like the wreckage from the first episode

No. That was Oceanic 815. ABC decided to post those for the end credits.

QUOTE (SnB @ May 24, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
sooooo

I thought it was Oceanic 815 wreckage and the images were shown as an additional "bookend," similar to Jack's eye. I assumed that the folks on Lapidus' plane were among those who died long after Jack, as explained by Christian. The showed the plane banking away from the island upon takeoff, and it looked like it hag good altitude when Jack saw it fly overhead while laying on the ground.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 24, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
6 Seasons of TV were built on these questions, the amount of time spent on Walt and Aaron demands an answer, and instead the Writers chose to have ignore these questions in favor of a metaphysical ending that demands guesswork and conjecture for the plot that drove the show sinces its inception.

it really wasn't built on those questions.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 24, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
I was soooo pissed when i thought Frank was killed by getting hit by a door then drowning. What an uncool death for one of my favorite characters.

I was equally happy to see that Richard survived.