Scotty Pods to the Rox

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
from June and beyond he was a stud...ERA of 2.33 in 46.1 innings.

While not saying Viz was bad, I would say that I think there is some of the "Marte" effect in there also...where he's pitching ok, but his ERA looks even better because any time he gets in trouble, he hands the ball off to Cotts/Politte/Jenks/Hermanson and the baserunners vanish. On the other hand, there were a couple times in the first half where ozzie beat up his ERA because Ozzie ran out of pitchers and had to use Viz for too long just so that someone would get outs.

Vizcaino was the sacrificial lamb during the 3rd game of the season when Ozzie completely overmanaged the bullpen and then Shingo gave up 3 homers in a row with only Luis left in there. In his second full inning of work, he gave up 6 runs. That destroyed his ERA.

Carlos Lee's salary was not "enormous," it was $8 million.

Who would've led off in 2005 if we didn't have Pods? How about Rowand? He had an exceptional 2004 season at the leadoff spot.

I liked Carlos Lee, but he was a really boneheaded player that would drive you up a wall. In 2002 he walked more than he struck out and had an ISoD of .095, but then in 2003 he struck out a lot and didn't walk that much and had an ISoD of .04. I thought he was underrated with the Sox, but when he was with the Brewers everyone went gaga over him. He completely fell off the map in the second half of 2005 as well.

Reports are that Scott Podsednik of White Sox 2005 World Series fame is now a Rockie. Good luck Pods

Podsednik agrees to minor-league deal with Colorado

February 5, 2008

FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Light-hitting speedster Scott Podsednik, catalyst of the White Sox’ world championship run in 2005, agreed Tuesday to a minor league contract with the Colorado Rockies.

Since leading Chicago to the championship, Podsednik has been slowed by injuries. He batted .243 with 12 steals and 30 runs in 62 games last season, when he spent 11 weeks on the disabled list with a pulled right adductor muscle and another three weeks with a strained left rib cage muscle.

He hit .261 and stole 40 bases in 2006, his fourth straight season with at least 40 steals.

In 2005, he batted .290 with 59 stolen bases, the second-highest total in franchise history, and hit two home runs during the playoffs, including a game-ending drive in Game 2 of the World Series against Houston.

Podsednik, who stole 70 bases with Milwaukee in 2004, will bid for a backup job to center fielder Willy Taveras with the NL champion Rockies. He’ll battle incumbent and fellow left-handed hitter Cory Sullivan.

If healthy, Podsednik, who turns 32 next month, could provide Colorado with another base-stealing threat to Taveras following the free agent departure of second baseman Kaz Matsui to Houston.

The Rockies are concerned about what might happen to their lineup if Taveras has nagging leg muscle pulls like he did last season.

In five seasons and two September call-ups with Seattle (2001-02), Milwaukee (2003-04) and Chicago (2005-07), Podsednik owns a .272 career batting average with 224 stolen bases.

Edited by elrockinMT

I like Pods for obvious reasons. He helped bring us a title.

Good luck to him.

It appears like many players, he hit a certain age, however and is done.

-- I don't know why I thought of this, but remember when Rock Raines

suddenly couldn't steal a base any more?

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
Id rather have the money Pods made and the ring/memories/chance to be part of history than the dough that C-Lee is eating right now, but thats just me.

Me too. Even though Podsednik made chump change in MLB language, he's not exactly poor.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
Id rather have the money Pods made and the ring/memories/chance to be part of history than the dough that C-Lee is eating right now, but thats just me.

A walk off HR in a WS game doesn't happen to everybody.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
(but did hit a game winning dinger in the WS)

(which he wouldn't have had to hit if he didn't have such a weak jelly-arm and failed to throw out the runner at the plate in the top of the 9th when he picked up the ball in short left field as the runner was touching third base)

(I am really glad he redeemed himself with that homer, but that awful throw is burned in my memory)

Edited by The Critic