Internet Cables Cut in Middle East

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
I can't find a link, but somewhere on NPR this morning, a gentleman who claimed expertise in this field said that concern about terror (or US involvement) in this case was overblown.

A couple of points he made were that , because of corrosion and seismic activity, cables are compromised quite often and that there is a fleet of ships (25, I believe he said) that motor around the globe fixing broken cables. He said that the recent cut cables were a coincidence.

I'll try to find the link. It seems that ATC doesn't update their website until the afternoon, nor does the Future Tense feature that I think the story may have run on.

It is possible. It would seem that there isn't exactly high demand or growth on the internets in that region, and as such maintenance of the lines in a relatively unstable part of the world might not be a priority.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Mods --- Please delete the above post. I forgot to include the link (I just happened across it) and now I can't find it to edit it in. If I do, I'll repost.

Never mind. Here it is

Here's the problem. under ANY other administration in the past I would have said this was over-hype. under this administration, it's par for the course. Heck, probably birdie for the course. We the people distrust this administration so much that this is entirely plausible.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
Here's the problem. under ANY other administration in the past I would have said this was over-hype. under this administration, it's par for the course. Heck, probably birdie for the course. We the people distrust this administration so much that this is entirely plausible.

I can't disagree with you.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
I can't disagree with you.

I would also agree that it is plausible, but the needless bias inserted into the article immediately removes alot of people from considering the validity of it. Can't people just write without putting their own biases in it? What ever happened to old-school journalism?

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
I can't find a link, but somewhere on NPR this morning, a gentleman who claimed expertise in this field said that concern about terror (or US involvement) in this case was overblown.

A couple of points he made were that , because of corrosion and seismic activity, cables are compromised quite often and that there is a fleet of ships (25, I believe he said) that motor around the globe fixing broken cables. He said that the recent cut cables were a coincidence.

I'll try to find the link. It seems that ATC doesn't update their website until the afternoon, nor does the Future Tense feature that I think the story may have run on.

Here's the Future Tense website. You can get a real audio file or an MP3 of the broadcast there.