2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 07:08 AM)
Whether or not you hate Gavin Floyd, which 50% of the board apparently does, you can't make that statement now. It's just dumb to make that statement when KW could acquire a starter or one of Floyd/Egbert/Broadway/Haeger steps up and claims a spot in the rotation. Or, the team sucks so bad that bringing in high-priced talent is just a terrible idea next year.

So yeah, that's a ridiculous statement at this point in time.

Contreras is done... I'm hoping this will be his last year with the Sox... And odds are that at least one of Floyd or Danks will fail...

but you're right, for all we know Danks and Floyd turn out to make a dynamic duo, to go along with the other duo of Vazquez and Buehrle, leaving the 5th starter spot open for one of Broadway/Egbert next year.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
Soxtalk related.

Checking out the traffic details from Alexa, Soxtalk has slowly decreased in page views, etc since early 2006. Also, it says 32.8% of viewers are from Poland? Is this site way off?

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_...ils/soxtalk.com

IIRC, Chicago does have a bigger Polish population than any city in the world this side of Warsaw.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)
For a team whose manager said winning spring training games was going to be emphasized this spring last September, the White Sox didn't fair too well. The worst spring training record for an AL team, and second worst to the woeful Giants in the Cactus league.

Yeah, but Boston, Arizona, Philly, and Arizona all had bad records, yet they are all playoff bound teams. Ozzie was talking out of his .... Playing sports all my life, it is really hard to get motivated for exhibition games.

Just FYI for Firefox users, I've updated my Firefox Extension to reflect the Opening Day roster. You can grab it here:

http://www.pcgamingtech.net/downloads/whitesox.xpi

Just select the link and choose "Open" (with FireFox), then click to "Install Now". After install, then select "Restart FireFox".

The extension will install next to the Help at the top of the Browser and provides quick links to everything White Sox. Still working on a White Sox theme.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
Contreras is done... I'm hoping this will be his last year with the Sox... And odds are that at least one of Floyd or Danks will fail...

but you're right, for all we know Danks and Floyd turn out to make a dynamic duo, to go along with the other duo of Vazquez and Buehrle, leaving the 5th starter spot open for one of Broadway/Egbert next year.

I hate that people are saying that because we have two young guys in the rotation who have a lot of potential, that one has to not pan out.

So what are the Odds for Ian Kennedy and Phillip Hughes? One of them wont pan out right. :stick

BLACKHAWKS SCORED :trails over to the NHL Thread:

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
Just FYI for Firefox users, I've updated my Firefox Extension to reflect the Opening Day roster. You can grab it here:

Just select the link and choose "Open" (with FireFox), then click to "Install Now". After install, then select "Restart FireFox".

The extension will install next to the Help at the top of the Browser and provides quick links to everything White Sox. Still working on a White Sox theme.

that's gonna come in handy... thanks a ton!

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)

didnt work for me, I have the other one already, I dont know why this didnt work

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 10:22 PM)
didnt work for me, I have the other one already, I dont know why this didnt work

Uninstall the old one.

Then download the new one.

Then open it, select Firefox as the program to use.

Watching Jon Garland pitch against the Twins tonight, and he's got the sinker working big time. I think he's got 7 or 8 groundball outs out of the 9 he has recorded thus far....sort of sad seeing him making that familiar slow walk off the field after each inning.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)
Watching Jon Garland pitch against the Twins tonight, and he's got the sinker working big time. I think he's got 7 or 8 groundball outs out of the 9 he has recorded thus far....sort of sad seeing him making that familiar slow walk off the field after each inning.

I said it then, and I'll say it again, Garland for Cabrera was a horrible move.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 06:37 PM)
I said it then, and I'll say it again, Garland for Cabrera was a horrible move.

I'm not going to hold judgement yet, but he looks really sharp, especially compared to how bad Mark looked.

I'll miss Jon, but I won't say that's a horrible deal yet. I'll see what he does this year, the contract he signs, what Cabrera does this year, and what happens afterwards with him (whether he resigns and remains solid or if he is let go and the Sox get 2 picks for him, and then what those picks amount to).

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to bring back Garland in the offseason. Innings eater who can give you quality starts... however, he'd probably choice to sign with his hometwon Angels before anyone else.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to bring back Garland in the offseason. Innings eater who can give you quality starts... however, he'd probably choice to sign with his hometwon Angels before anyone else.

I doubt he signs a hometown discount, and I'd venture to guess he'll sign a 5-6 year deal worth $13-15 mill a year

It made no sense to trade an inning eater and stud like Garland.

I know ... one game does not make a season, but I've always loved Garland.

I hope Danks and Floyd prove me wrong as well as Jose.

Big time question marks.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 12:03 AM)
It made no sense to trade an inning eater and stud like Garland.

I know ... one game does not make a season, but I've always loved Garland.

I hope Danks and Floyd prove me wrong as well as Jose.

Big time question marks.

I wouldn't call him a stud, but he's an above average pitcher who is entering his prime...