2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for Pods.

Multiple scouts tell the Denver Post that Scott Podsednik will make the Rockies over Cory Sullivan.

Podsednik has ten steals and a .520 OBP so far this spring, which is about .200 points higher than his career average. He also has a 13/4 K/BB ratio, while Sullivan has just one walk and five strikeouts. Podsednik can ask for his release if not added to the roster by Saturday, while Sullivan can still be optioned to Triple-A.

The Rockies were so impressed with the top two Sox pitchers that they are making Franklin Morales watch videotape of Mark Buehrle's outing Tuesday and will have Ubaldo Jimenez do the same with Javier Vazquez's start from March 12, when he allowed one hit and struck out seven in five innings.

Buehrle limited the Rockies to four hits in six innings while lowering his spring ERA to 2.14.

Link.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
I was thinking... if we aren't competitors this year, and the possibility for a world series isn't looking so great in 2009, does Thome ask for a trade to a team ready to make a push?

Truly, I don't think so. He's near the end of his career and I think he'll want to stick around his home-area. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression that I get.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
How certain are we that he'll get enough Plate appearances to make his option vest?

I don't think it has to vest. Philadelphia is paying for $5.5 mill of it, and it's worth $13 mill; there's no one on earth who is going to convince me Jim Thome isn't worth $7.5 million on a one year committment, barring a pretty substantial injury.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 04:55 PM)
I don't think it has to vest. Philadelphia is paying for $5.5 mill of it, and it's worth $13 mill; there's no one on earth who is going to convince me Jim Thome isn't worth $7.5 million on a one year committment, barring a pretty substantial injury.

Where do you know that from?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 11:47 PM)
Garland pitched 5 solid innings yesterday... Now, was the upgrade of Cabrera over Iguchi/Richar (since Uribe will be starting) worth the downgrade from Garland to Contreras/Danks/Floyd?

As long as Cabrera performs well enough to remain a type A free agent, I'll still say yes.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
Won't happen. He will demand far too much money but more than that too many years.

Yeah probably... maybe Ollie Perez, but if he has another good season he might command a whole lot as well.

Either way, we need to bring in another starter next year. Who knows, maybe Jon Garland....

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
Yeah probably... maybe Ollie Perez, but if he has another good season he might command a whole lot as well.

Either way, we need to bring in another starter next year. Who knows, maybe Jon Garland....

Whether or not you hate Gavin Floyd, which 50% of the board apparently does, you can't make that statement now. It's just dumb to make that statement when KW could acquire a starter or one of Floyd/Egbert/Broadway/Haeger steps up and claims a spot in the rotation. Or, the team sucks so bad that bringing in high-priced talent is just a terrible idea next year.

So yeah, that's a ridiculous statement at this point in time.