2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
christ I cannot tolerate listening to Lawrence Holmes, i had to turn the score off after listening to him praise the twins and cubbies

*vomit*

I like Lawrence, but the first 20 minutes of his show today is a segment you can go back and listen to if the Cubs blow the division.

And he said it was cool that Twins fans were throwing hats on the field, but blasted Gagne for throwing at Edmonds yesterday. An idiot is an idiot, IMO.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
Who cares. How about he stops with the comic relief and starts to play baseball. The clown act grows old when he plays like s***. How about he starts a hitting club.

:notworthy

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
It has been a running joke for a while now about Williams asking the veterans what they think the team needs at the deadline. Just thought I would post this.

I think this is interesting, since I see some people post in here that attitude, personality and chemistry don't have an effect on teams. I find that a little ridiculous - like people think its a video game. Here we see how much effect those things can and do have, admitedly in the extreme in this case. Manny Ramirez, all star caliber player, and yet the team wanted him gone.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
I think this is interesting, since I see some people post in here that attitude, personality and chemistry don't have an effect on teams. I find that a little ridiculous - like people think its a video game. Here we see how much effect those things can and do have, admitedly in the extreme in this case. Manny Ramirez, all star caliber player, and yet the team wanted him gone.

For the people who laugh at things like chemistry and personality conflicts being important, you just had one of the shining examples of Bill James-ness dump a numbers guy because he was a tool.

I was going to say that we're doing a good job of reassembling Mr. Burns' softball team with the acquisition of Griffey (bringing it to a total of 3: Griffey, Canseco, Sax)... but man, I really think Steinbrenner did all he could to completely reassemble it.

the roster:

C Scoscia no

1B Mattingley yes

2B Sax yes

3B Boggs yes

SS Smith no

OF Strawberry yes

OF Canseco yes

OF Griffey no

P Clemens yes

that's 7/10

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
For the people who laugh at things like chemistry and personality conflicts being important, you just had one of the shining examples of Bill James-ness dump a numbers guy because he was a tool.

Jason Bay this year: .282/.375/.519/.894 22 home runs, 23 doubles 64 RBI's in 106 games.

Manny Ramirez this year: .299/.398/.529/.926 20 home runs, 22 doubles, 68 RBI's in 100 games.

Bay has a career .900 OPS, is six years younger than Ramirez, is a better defender, and is also under contract in 2009 and could be kept long term to play left field. Not to mention the fact that Pittsburgh is a HORRIBLE hitters park for a righty* like Bay. Obviously seeing AL pitching won't help Bay, but the green monster in left field will.

Team chemistry and personal conflicts are still overrated BS people like to say because it's been said for a long time. Manny Ramirez is an extreme example case, and they still got Jason Bay to play his spot, who at this point in time isn't that big of a dropoff (a minimal one IMO) from Ramirez at this stage of his career.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
Jason Bay this year: .282/.375/.519/.894 22 home runs, 23 doubles 64 RBI's in 106 games.

Manny Ramirez this year: .299/.398/.529/.926 20 home runs, 22 doubles, 68 RBI's in 100 games.

Bay has a career .900 OPS, is six years younger than Ramirez, is a better defender, and is also under contract in 2009 and could be kept long term to play left field. Not to mention the fact that Pittsburgh is a HORRIBLE hitters park for a lefty like Bay. Obviously seeing AL pitching won't help Bay, but the green monster in left field will.

Team chemistry and personal conflicts are still overrated BS people like to say because it's been said for a long time. Manny Ramirez is an extreme example case, and they still got Jason Bay to play his spot, who at this point in time isn't that big of a dropoff (a minimal one IMO) from Ramirez at this stage of his career.

The shallow RF and Pesky's Pole will help Bay as well.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
I greatly dislike David Kaplan.

He's a typical Cub fan. Not a bad person in general, but such a blind, stupid, optimistic even though his team can't win, stupid when it comes to the Cubs fan. People like that are why I hate them.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 01:33 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Agg3...o&type=lgns

Griffey's increases out post-season chances. Without Griffey, we had a 54.9% chance to win the division and a 58.5% chance to make the playoffs. With Griffey, we have a 58.4% chance to win the division with a 63% shot at the playoffs.

i'd love to see the calculations for those stats. lol

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
Bruce Levine thinks the Sox should/will sign Livan Hernandez. He's got lots of big-game experience, but has been getting hit hard this season. Personally, I don't think he's got anything left in the tank.

I thought about this possibilty when I heard he had been released. I'm not sure what I think though. Livan can be a long reliever and emergency starter, with Contreras' situation it may not be a bad idea. The guy does have 10 wins this year, but he has been beat up lately. Richard may be a better answer when it comes to filling that role.

I checked the Charlotte Observer and Crede was scratched from Saturdays game becasue of twinges in his back. Expected to satrt today and so does Contreras. Here is the story:

Knights/Baseball News

Local News Education Politics Nation World Weird News Special Reports Obituaries Blogs/Columnists En Español Sports

Minor League Baseball

Comments (0) | Recommend (0)

Knights sloppy in defeat

Durham takes advantage as error-wracked squad boots the basics in front of home crowd.

By Keith Cannon

Special Correspondent

Posted: Sunday, Aug. 03, 2008

FORT MILL

The Charlotte Knights couldn't master the most basic of baseball skills Saturday night.

“You're not going to win if you can't catch and throw the ball,” Knights manager Marc Bombard said after an ugly 8-2 loss in front of 8,101 fans at Knights Stadium. Three Charlotte errors played a role in half of Durham's runs as the Knights (52-63) lost their third straight.

“You can't give any team, especially a team as good as them, five or six outs in an inning,” Bombard said. “If you do you'll have a long night. We gave ourselves a tough mountain to climb.”

It would have been tough enough without the fielding mistakes as the International League South Division leading Bulls (61-54) pounded out 13 hits, led by 4-for-5 nights by Ben Zobrist and Justin Ruggiano. Charlotte pitchers also walked seven batters.

Durham led 5-0 after two innings, scoring two runs in the first on what should have been a routine fielder's choice.

By the time the Knights put their first run on the scoreboard in the fifth, on Jerry Owens' bases-loaded RBI single, Durham held a 7-1 lead.

Former Knights infielder Joe Crede, on a rehab assignment from the Chicago White Sox, was scratched from the starting lineup shortly before game time. Knights officials said Crede felt twinges in his back during pre-game warm-ups. He's expected to play today.

NOTES: White Sox right-handed pitcher Jose Contreras makes a major league rehab start for the Knights at 5:15 this afternoon in the final game of the home stand. Scheduled to start for Durham is right-hander Jeff Niemann (7-5, 3.53).

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 03:38 AM)
Stopping at August 1st, in his last 168 games(going back to last year), he has put up a line of: .311, 41 HR, 106 RBI, 105 R, 3 SB.

Best FA signing by the Sox ever?

Oh yeah, I forgot Dye was an absolute stud from the second half on last year. His season last year is a perfect example as to why you don't give up on a hitter who has been good for, you know, like 10 years with perhaps another bad year mixed in there just because they struggle for a while battling injuries, especially at lowest value.

I'm so damn glad the Red Sox didn't trade for him last year.

And to answer the question, that is probably one of the best free agent signings of the past 10 or 15 years, everything considered.