Shots fired in Harlem-Irving Plaza mall in Tinley Park

sox4lifeinPA

Hope everyone is ok....

Multiple Victims Reported in Illinois Mall Shooting

TINLEY PARK, Ill. — A shooting took place on Saturday at an Illinois shopping mall about 30 miles southwest of Chicago and there were at least five victims, MyFoxChicago.com reported.

More than a dozen ambulances were on the scene at the Harlem-Irving Plaza mall in Tinley Park and the shopping center was locked down, the station reported.

Five shots were fired at a Lane Bryant store at 191st Street and Harlem Avenue in Tinley Park, Deputy Clerk Laura Godette said. The incident occurred at 10:45 a.m. CT.

Police were seeking a 230-pound black male, 29, who was described as wearing black jeans with colored jewels on the back and a black or green jacket and black hat with one braid sticking out the side. No other suspects were being sought at the time.

Residents were being asked to stay away from the area.

No suspects were in custody, MyFoxChicago.com reported

QUOTE(Random @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)
i live in tinley

I'm glad you weren't around there man. I was actually at a party in Tinley Park two (maybe three) months ago getting wasted and harrassing women. :lol: Just scary to see/think considering my sister works at a mall in Lansing.

Prayers go out to those victims and their loved ones. :pray

A few people I bowl with on Saturdays in Orland live right by there saud that cops came by and ordered people to stay in their homes as the suspect was supposedly spotted running thru the neighborhood. Last I heard they still have not caught anyone, but they let people out of the ir homes after a few hours. Perps like this is what the death penalty was invented for.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
I live in Tinley as well... I hope everything is ok for you guys!

I NEVER thought anything like this would ever happen in Tinley Park. :angry:

Unreal isn't it? Though it's more likely to happen at Harlem-Irving Plaza than in Tinley Park. Is there anything that Fox News doesn't f*** up? The two malls are 30+ miles apart.

:pray for the families of the victims. So very sad.

I was actually in that strip mall as the police first began pulling in. My roommate and I were going to the SuperTarget there to buy food for our Super Bowl party. Right as we were coming towards the entrance to the strip mall, an Oak Forest police car roared up and started blocking the entrance. We went around to another entrance, parked the car, and started walking to the Target. We were actually the first customers denied entry to the store. A policeman was there with a Target manager, and the manager stated that there was "something going on in the area and they were told they could no longer let anyone in or out of the store." As we were walking back to the car, squads from Oak Forest, Matteson, Orland Park, Cook County Sheriff's Police, State Police, and unmarked cars were flying in. A group of ambulances had gathered near Lane Bryant. I figured they were just parking there because that was an empty area of the parking lot. As we were walking back to the car, a woman was approaching Target, and we told her that they weren't letting anyone in or out. She said that she had just dropped her husband off at Best Buy, and she had tried to go to Lane Bryant, but they weren't letting anyone in. She must have missed the shooting by 10 minutes, as the 911 call came in at 10:44 and this was no later than 10:55.

We then left and drove to the Tinley Park Jewel, but as we were en route, there were police cars from all the neighboring communities flying by, and choppers coming in. It was crazy.

Apparently this guy may have entered the Target after the shooting incident, in search of a change of clothes. Pretty scary to think that we were so close to being there at the same time....

QUOTE(iamshack @ Feb 3, 2008 -> 12:40 AM)
Apparently this guy may have entered the Target after the shooting incident, in search of a change of clothes. Pretty scary to think that we were so close to being there at the same time....

That is really spooky. My best friends Uncle lives in the DC area and he was at one of the gas stations that the DC Sniper targeted, and he was there less than a half and hour before someone was killed there. He said the whole thing was surreal, nobody wanted to get gas anymore

One of the women killed graduated grade-school with my brother. She had a brother two years older than me and a sister a year younger than me, both of whom went to the same grade-school as me.

My thoughts go out to those families who lost loved ones yesterday in such a senseless, despicable act.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Feb 3, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
I was actually in that strip mall as the police first began pulling in. My roommate and I were going to the SuperTarget there to buy food for our Super Bowl party. Right as we were coming towards the entrance to the strip mall, an Oak Forest police car roared up and started blocking the entrance. We went around to another entrance, parked the car, and started walking to the Target. We were actually the first customers denied entry to the store. A policeman was there with a Target manager, and the manager stated that there was "something going on in the area and they were told they could no longer let anyone in or out of the store." As we were walking back to the car, squads from Oak Forest, Matteson, Orland Park, Cook County Sheriff's Police, State Police, and unmarked cars were flying in. A group of ambulances had gathered near Lane Bryant. I figured they were just parking there because that was an empty area of the parking lot. As we were walking back to the car, a woman was approaching Target, and we told her that they weren't letting anyone in or out. She said that she had just dropped her husband off at Best Buy, and she had tried to go to Lane Bryant, but they weren't letting anyone in. She must have missed the shooting by 10 minutes, as the 911 call came in at 10:44 and this was no later than 10:55.

We then left and drove to the Tinley Park Jewel, but as we were en route, there were police cars from all the neighboring communities flying by, and choppers coming in. It was crazy.

Wow that's a crazy story. Very lucky set of circumstances right there.

Just sad how things like this can happen, and it happens far too often.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
I thought Harlem Irving Plaze was in Norridge? I worked at the Foot Locker there a couple decades ago.

Yeah, Harlem-Irving is in Norridge, but everything I'm seeing online says this is Harlem-Irving, too.

Weird.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
Yeah, Harlem-Irving is in Norridge, but everything I'm seeing online says this is Harlem-Irving, too.

Weird.

I've only see that HIP eff up on the Fox site. This is Harlem and 191st St. The strip mall is called Brookside, iirc.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 05:47 PM)
I've only see that HIP eff up on the Fox site. This is Harlem and 191st St. The strip mall is called Brookside, iirc.

I saw it on 3 or 4 listings when I Googled it.

Probably multiples of the same original story.

I think Brookside is right - I knew I heard a different name, but I couldn't remember it or find it in any reports.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
I saw it on 3 or 4 listings when I Googled it.

Probably multiples of the same original story.

I think Brookside is right - I knew I heard a different name, but I couldn't remember it or find it in any reports.

Yeah, I don't know what the Irving-Plaza thing is. This place is at the corner of 191st and Harlem. I live at the corner of 183rd and Harlem, so it's right down the street. It's called Brookside Marketplace or something like that. If you're driving down I-80 East you can see it on your right just as you are approaching the Harlem South exit.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)
Yeah, I don't know what the Irving-Plaza thing is. This place is at the corner of 191st and Harlem. I live at the corner of 183rd and Harlem, so it's right down the street. It's called Brookside Marketplace or something like that. If you're driving down I-80 East you can see it on your right just as you are approaching the Harlem South exit.

My cousin lives in Mokena, so I take Harlem to 191st and turn right when I go to visit him.

I've been past that mall many times, but have never stopped to shop there.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 07:25 PM)
My cousin lives in Mokena, so I take Harlem to 191st and turn right when I go to visit him.

I've been past that mall many times, but have never stopped to shop there.

Yeah, that's it. It's a nice little shopping center- they have a Best Buy, Dick's Sporting Goods, Super Target, a taco bell, arby's, fridays, and a "Boston Pizza" or something. And apparently, unfortunately, a Lane Bryant.

I wonder if I will ever be able to go there again and think of it the same way....probably not..:(