Bobby Knight resigns as Texas Tech Head Coach

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
Knight is a quitter, why would he leave in Febuary instead of April? His non deserving son has been promised the job anyway so what is the rush. :gosox2:

Come on man, you have to believe there is more to the story. I guarantee it is something to do with him or his wifes health. This mans nature does not involve quitting.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 06:53 PM)
Come on man, you have to believe there is more to the story. I guarantee it is something to do with him or his wifes health. This mans nature does not involve quitting.

NO family health problems he flat out QUIT!

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 06:53 AM)
NO family health problems he flat out QUIT!

No, he was looking out for his son because the new president didn't guarantee him anything. I would of done the same thing for my own son. Very loyal man, whether you like him or not.

Bobby is an interesting character. On one hand you have to admire and respect the effort he put not only into basketball, but turning his boys into men. You never, ever heard about scandals or problems from ANY of his players, even after they left his programs. On the other hand, his methods left something to be desired. Either way he leaves as one of the all-time greats.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 07:28 AM)
Bobby is an interesting character. On one hand you have to admire and respect the effort he put not only into basketball, but turning his boys into men. You never, ever heard about scandals or problems from ANY of his players, even after they left his programs. On the other hand, his methods left something to be desired. Either way he leaves as one of the all-time greats.

Isiah Thomas is kind of a scumbag

LOL, that's what I get for not looking below the pinned threads for a while.

Knight retired to give his son the last 10 games of the season to transition into next year. He was planning to retire at the end of the year, but thought it would be better to get a head start on next year.

At least that's the public story.

I'm actually pretty indifferent about it. The thing I'm most upset about is that coach K now has a pretty decent shot of breaking the record :-).

Knight had a terrible temper and could say and do some horrible things. But he also did a lot of really good things that didn't get mentioned. He donated one year's salary to the university because he felt they didn't live up to his standards that year. He also did a TON for fundraising, especially for the Library and research. Everyone wants to name the library after him now. He graduated his players, and made them put school first, it almost cost Jarrius Jackson his scholarship a few times when he got behind.

Hard to deny he was one of, if not the best X's and O's coach that basketball has ever seen. He never was a big recruiter, but he enjoyed taking talent that others didn't want and beating you with them.

My biggest regret is that I have unused tickets to his last game as a coach and didn't go because my fiancee had just gotten her wisdom teeth out.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 06:36 AM)
No, he was looking out for his son because the new president didn't guarantee him anything. I would of done the same thing for my own son. Very loyal man, whether you like him or not.

Very loyal, in this circumstance? Pat has been guarenteed the spot by the new school president. Where is the LOYALTY to his team that is struggling and needs to really kick ass down the stretch to make the NCAA tournament. They are struggeling and he is tired, so give Pat a head start for next year and quit.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
Hard to deny he was one of, if not the best X's and O's coach that basketball has ever seen. He never was a big recruiter, but he enjoyed taking talent that others didn't want and beating you with them.

The recruiting part sounds more like Gene Keady. He took Indiana's scraps and played IU with Knight dead even for a long period of time. Until Glen Robinson the only big recruit Bobby lost to Gene was Russell Cross.

IU also got the national kids quite often. He got the #1 in the nation out of Texas who flopped. While I was in college IU had the #1 incoming class followed by Damon Bailey. I remember because IU fans were talking s*** about Carolina getting Montrose, and I bet them 100$ per national championship ring between Bailey & Montrooss since Carolina had #1 class that year and IU had the #1 class the previous year. I like how that worked out for me.

Bobby recruited and got who he wanted , he owned Illinois, Indiana for years. When he lost he lost with great talent, and when he won he won with great talent. He picked and chose his teams , he needed to break the stars down when they came to Bloomington and then rebuild them under his control. Sometimes it worked, and they were great college system kids, sometimes it didn't, and they were shells of the players that came in. Don't believe the he didn't recruit well hype!!

Edited by JuiceCruz16

Despite being a life-long IU fan, current student, I've never been a Knight apologist or anything close to it. However, I really appreciate everything he did for basketball and this program. IU wouldn't be anything without what he did here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=3231432

And this is a cool article on ESPN.com written by a former IU student/IDS writer about how Knight's career basically ended when he was fired from Indiana.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 07:28 AM)

:notworthy gp

ss2k5, I think you put it very well. I grew up an IU fan and very much of Bobby Knight fan. I have always admired what he got out of kids, how he shot straight with people and how his programs stood out for doing things the right way. Players graduated and stayed out of trouble.

However, I got tired of his boorishness late in his time at IU. I never liked how he treated the media. What made him great was that he was in total control of his world. What caused him problems is that he could not handle when he wasn't in total control of his world. You can't go two years without even speaking to your boss.

He was unfailingly loyal if you were loyal to him. But as soon as you did something he didn't like, that loyalty would turn on a dime and he would treat you as if you didn't exist.

There were a lot of great things he did, some reported, many were not. But his methods were questionable. Bobby Knight never cared for other people. Never respected that others have a job to do as well. Never carried himself with class. Always acted as if he was above you.

It's a shame because with all of his abilities, if he could have had some more respect for others around him and been a bit more forgiving, he would be universally loved - except by Purdue fans, of course.

Tech president Jon Whitmore actually resigned on February 1st. A new president hasn't been named as far as I know. However, it was put into Bob Knight's contract that Pat would take over when he left, so Tech has to honor it. Will be interesting to see what he brings to the table. Tech plays at Baylor the same exact time UNC plays Duke, another night of switching back and forth for me.