Mercury Morris on with Boers and Bernstein

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(shipps @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
Since I didnt see this in the thread.He has canceled all interviews because of the overwhelming amount of death threats the past couple months.Not surprising.

Which is ridiculous.. come on people death threats?

QUOTE(Shadows @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
Well no s*** Kap

Its different periods, teams these days would smoke teams of the old days based purely on the fact of athletes are better, game planning is better, there is better preparation for the players.. better equipment, its just how the game evolves..

No one is arguing the players aspect of this, but as a team the 72' Dolphins are the only ones who have gone undefeated.. thats why they are the best team of all time

"Best of all time" does not equal "undefeated" - even the sun shines on a dog's ass once in a while... why is that so hard of a concept? "Best of all time" means that they would win 90% plus against all the other teams out there, and New England of 2007 would do that, against ANY teams in ANY time period. Now remember, this is coming from someone who hates the Patriots.

I hate hearing Mercury Moron's voice as much as anyone, but (1) I liked watching him play when I was just a little Critic, and (2) you gotta have some kind of sad, pathetic, valueless existence to threaten someone's life because you don't like what he said about your favorite team.

EDITED because I forgot about that retarded "B in parentheses = sunglass smiley" thing.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
I absolutely HATE the '07 Patriots, but there hasn't been a truer statement on this thread then this one right here ^^.

I would say a 1-15 Dolphins team of 2007 would SMOKE the '72 Dolphins. But whatever, because some people can't handle the truth.

You're right of course, but I think that's only true if the '72 Dolphins got into a time machine and came to 2007. If you played the game under the conditions that teams played in in 1972 (smaller roster, fewer substitutions, much less sophistication on both sides of the ball, etc.) it would be a closer game.

I mean, there wasn't a spread offense and five wide outs in 1972. Not to pick on you kap (I'll save that for the 'buster), but saying that any team from today would whup any team from 27 years ago isn't exactly a bold stretch.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)
You're right of course, but I think that's only true if the '72 Dolphins got into a time machine and came to 2007. If you played the game under the conditions that teams played in in 1972 (smaller roster, fewer substitutions, much less sophistication on both sides of the ball, etc.) it would be a closer game.

I mean, there wasn't a spread offense and five wide outs in 1972. Not to pick on you kap (I'll save that for the 'buster), but saying that any team from today would whup any team from 27 years ago isn't exactly a bold stretch.

No, that's a good argument, and one I hadn't thought of that way. But, I think that you have to realize that any time you say "the best of all time"... that means then AND NOW, and you can't say any team from 40 years ago is the "best of all time". Best of that era? Abosolutely. Best of all time? That's a stretch.

There will never be a good "best of all time" claim in a team sport, nor in most individual sports. Given time to prepare, the 72 Dolphons would be competitive with any team of the past ten years. They still block and tackle the same. Toss in some new rules, new interpretations of old rules, etc and they would need some time to adjust, but all great teams adjust or they would not have that level of success.

Plus these guys are like 60 years old now, it would take a year of liftign weights to even come close.