Ebay's demise

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
This news makes me really uncomfortable with Ebay, particularly buying more expensive things like jerseys.

Read the article, I don't see an issue with this. Most folks use Buy It Now anyway so I don't see how buyers can really be left negative feedback. It's the sellers we need to be careful of, not the buyers.

That's what non-paying high bidder is for anyway. If they were trying to get rid of feedback against sellers that'd be a different story.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
Read the article again.

They are eliminating the ability for the seller to leave feedback for the buyer.

As a buyer, you can still leave negative feedback for the seller if you are upset.

D'oh! I had it backwards in my mind.

There was way too much retaliatory feedback BS. Even if you had a crappy experience and wanted to leave negative feedback, you knew that the seller was going to do the same to you just to screw you over.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
D'oh! I had it backwards in my mind.

There was way too much retaliatory feedback BS. Even if you had a crappy experience and wanted to leave negative feedback, you knew that the seller was going to do the same to you just to screw you over.

Yup, and that's exactly what they are eliminating so it's a good move.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
Read the article, I don't see an issue with this. Most folks use Buy It Now anyway so I don't see how buyers can really be left negative feedback. It's the sellers we need to be careful of, not the buyers.

That's what non-paying high bidder is for anyway. If they were trying to get rid of feedback against sellers that'd be a different story.

Didn't read the article ... so I will never take PA's word for it again. ;)

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

The Seller, can't give negative feedback... and they're getting rid of it. Hence the "Ebay getting rid of seller negative feedback".

I see where the mistake was made. I'm still really not happy with this. I had someone leave me negative feedback when he wasn't happy with the item I sold him, despite CLEARLY describing it. So he paid and I shipped. He was just unrealistic. Perhaps I'm in the minority with my story, but this decision is a poor one and I won't be selling on ebay ever again...and that, the last time I checked, was how ebay made their money...NOT on people buying.

bad decision Ebay.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
So now a seller has no way of determining if the buyer is a dead beat. If I have a 1000 rating, they can trust me. If they have 5 or lower or a history of negative feedback, why would the seller want to deal with them?

DING!

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 04:47 PM)
Didn't read the article ... so I will never take PA's word for it again. ;)

You are still more than welcome to leave PA negative feedback on SoxTalk. More than a mere site feature, here at SoxTalk it's a tradition.

I Kid, I Care, So There®

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
You are still more than welcome to leave PA negative feedback on SoxTalk. More than a mere site feature, here at SoxTalk it's a tradition.

I Kid, I Care, So There®

whatever, just because soxtalk embraces mimes before boobs, doesn't make you the higher being or thought of your choice!

if that were true, I'd be winning the most likely to be flamed.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)
The Seller, can't give negative feedback... and they're getting rid of it. Hence the "Ebay getting rid of seller negative feedback".

I see where the mistake was made. I'm still really not happy with this. I had someone leave me negative feedback when he wasn't happy with the item I sold him, despite CLEARLY describing it. So he paid and I shipped. He was just unrealistic. Perhaps I'm in the minority with my story, but this decision is a poor one and I won't be selling on ebay ever again...and that, the last time I checked, was how ebay made their money...NOT on people buying.

bad decision Ebay.

Would you have given him negative feedback after he paid on time?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)
Would you have given him negative feedback after he paid on time?

no, I hold out until I get feedback....because this wasn't the first time I've run into this kind of unrealistic bidding. So when he gave me negative feedback, I responded with the same, because despite paying ontime (not his only responsibility) he was a terrible eBayer.

People think eBay is this amazing place where you can find anything for a good deal...no, that's Amazon.com. eBay is where you find used stuff for dirt cheap.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 05:13 PM)
no, I hold out until I get feedback....because this wasn't the first time I've run into this kind of unrealistic bidding. So when he gave me negative feedback, I responded with the same, because despite paying ontime (not his only responsibility) he was a terrible eBayer.

People think eBay is this amazing place where you can find anything for a good deal...no, that's Amazon.com. eBay is where you find used stuff for dirt cheap.

He paid you, was disappointed, and left you negative. You retailated. Classis reason why eBay is choosing keeping sellers honest, who are more of the problems, then buyers.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
He paid you, was disappointed, and left you negative. You retailated. Classis reason why eBay is choosing keeping sellers honest, who are more of the problems, then buyers.

you don't get to be "disappointed". You read the discription of the item and make a choice as whether to buy. If you dont like the outcome, you're the idiot.

Now if I misrepresented something, that's a different story.

this is not a retail store where the customer is always right. this is private individuals doing business through a 3rd party. This guy didn't ask questions and didn't ask for a return. He was simply upset that the junk that he bought from me wasn't a gem.

I upheld my side and got burned...therefore, what is my recourse under the new rules?

I won't be selling anymore, that's what.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 05:51 PM)
you don't get to be "disappointed". You read the discription of the item and make a choice as whether to buy. If you dont like the outcome, you're the idiot.

Now if I misrepresented something, that's a different story.

this is not a retail store where the customer is always right. this is private individuals doing business through a 3rd party. This guy didn't ask questions and didn't ask for a return. He was simply upset that the junk that he bought from me wasn't a gem.

I upheld my side and got burned...therefore, what is my recourse under the new rules?

I won't be selling anymore, that's what.

Recourse? So you think someone saw your negative and then checked his to see if you gave him a negative? Doesn't work that way. But if revenge is important to you, then I guess you shouldn't sell there.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
Recourse? So you think someone saw your negative and then checked his to see if you gave him a negative? Doesn't work that way. But if revenge is important to you, then I guess you shouldn't sell there.

don't put words in my mouth...er...posts. I never said "revenge"...I said recourse.

As a seller, I can remove bids from potentially bad buyers because I see that another seller had a problem with that buyer...so yes, the negative feedback on his review would go a long way if someone doesn't want to sell to a potential pain in the ass.

Good lord, if only I could do that at the bank...oh wait, I do...it's called "Chexsystems" and it warns me, the account opener, about bad customers and therefore I don't have to open accounts for them. If you took that away, we'd be forced to talk people's word for it. :ph34r:

Under your rules...anyone could buy a house, regardless of previous bad credit. You think we have a bad market now? :lol:

sorry man, but this ruling just sucks and it goes against most other market systems.

I think you still have the option to respond to feedback. That would be a recourse. As a buyer I refuse to leave feedback first. i disagree, my only responsability is to pay on time. The sellers feedback should be based on that. If it wasn't for the vast majority of the sellers holding feedback hostage for a good rating, Ebay may not have changed things.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 11:53 PM)
I think you still have the option to respond to feedback. That would be a recourse. As a buyer I refuse to leave feedback first. i disagree, my only responsability is to pay on time. The sellers feedback should be based on that. If it wasn't for the vast majority of the sellers holding feedback hostage for a good rating, Ebay may not have changed things.

That's funny.

As a seller, I refuse to give feedback first because people rarely leave me any otherwise. I consider feedback given to me as validation of my good business practices.

I used to give it automatically until I realized how few feedback I was getting in return. I have like, 900 feedback given while I have only received around 650 back.

Two hundred and fifty lazy people out there who never took 5 minutes to complete the feedback area on our transaction; both sellers and buyers have been guilty of this.

That's the one thing that annoys me about most of the sellers I've dealed with. I pay with Paypal, very quick too, they should leave me feedback, I put up my end of the bargain, instead they always wait until I give positive feedback, if giving any back at all. I guess it makes sense on their part, but if I'm the one who has a problem with the product, that annoys me that they give themselves the right to wait and use the negative if they want to, even though I already paid

The system doesn't work perfectly as it was. As a seller, I always gave immediate feedback as soon as the buyer paid for the product. As a buyer, as soon as I received the product and was happy with it. One thing that is not reflected in the system are the sellers with 20,000+ transactions, they are running a business like any other and should offer a higher level of service then someone like PA. If I'm unhappy with an item after I receive it, you're damn right I will speak up. I bought a 8 port USB hub that was crap from a seller. The case would not stay shut, and had compatibility issues with HP printers and Western Digital external drives. It was new in box, unopened, and they were selling hundreds of them each week. They refused to do anything, so I left negative feedback. I also bought some memorabilia that was suppose to be mint, and it had some drawer dirt and a couple smudges. It was a private seller who did not know what we considered "mint" in this hobby. They also refused to do anything and I gave them neutral, allowing for their ignorance in the field.