Ebay's demise

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 02:21 AM)
That's funny.

As a seller, I refuse to give feedback first because people rarely leave me any otherwise. I consider feedback given to me as validation of my good business practices.

I used to give it automatically until I realized how few feedback I was getting in return. I have like, 900 feedback given while I have only received around 650 back.

Two hundred and fifty lazy people out there who never took 5 minutes to complete the feedback area on our transaction; both sellers and buyers have been guilty of this.

exactly. Your responsibility as a buyer ANYWHERE goes beyond simply paying on time. If you go to a restaurant you behave because you're in public. If you take a dump on the table, but paid on time, I don't care...you're not geting a positive feedback. You're not coming back to my store and I'll share with other sellers the fact that you're a bum customer.

That's the point: COMMUNITY.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
The system doesn't work perfectly as it was. As a seller, I always gave immediate feedback as soon as the buyer paid for the product. As a buyer, as soon as I received the product and was happy with it. One thing that is not reflected in the system are the sellers with 20,000+ transactions, they are running a business like any other and should offer a higher level of service then someone like PA. If I'm unhappy with an item after I receive it, you're damn right I will speak up. I bought a 8 port USB hub that was crap from a seller. The case would not stay shut, and had compatibility issues with HP printers and Western Digital external drives. It was new in box, unopened, and they were selling hundreds of them each week. They refused to do anything, so I left negative feedback. I also bought some memorabilia that was suppose to be mint, and it had some drawer dirt and a couple smudges. It was a private seller who did not know what we considered "mint" in this hobby. They also refused to do anything and I gave them neutral, allowing for their ignorance in the field.

now we're getting somewhere. I knew there was something more to it. We've both had negative experiences from two different sides. eBay is screwing the pooch by lumping me in with bigger businesses. They should perfect the system, not elminate it. Talk about thinking inside the box that's inside another box.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)
now we're getting somewhere. I knew there was something more to it. We've both had negative experiences from two different sides. eBay is screwing the pooch by lumping me in with bigger businesses. They should perfect the system, not elminate it. Talk about thinking inside the box that's inside another box.

As a seller I always refund whenever someone asks. So I never would have had your problem. Including the person who bought a video game from me, played it for at least a week, then claimed it was defective. Managed to work in two other systems when I got it back. No problem, I re listed, it cost me a couple bucks, but she was happy.

I was also as accurate as I could be with why it was negative.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 10:31 AM)
As a seller I always refund whenever someone asks. So I never would have had your problem. Including the person who bought a video game from me, played it for at least a week, then claimed it was defective. Managed to work in two other systems when I got it back. No problem, I re listed, it cost me a couple bucks, but she was happy.

I was also as accurate as I could be with why it was negative.

my dude never asked for a refund and I was accurate when I said I didn't know if the minidisc player even worked. He spent 5 bucks on something I clearly didn't know about and he was mad when it didn't work.

I've eBay'ed over 150 times half and half as seller and buyer. I've only encountered this twice (both as a seller), so it could be a fluke...but I've never had a bad purchasing experience.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
my dude never asked for a refund and I was accurate when I said I didn't know if the minidisc player even worked. He spent 5 bucks on something I clearly didn't know about and he was mad when it didn't work.

I've eBay'ed over 150 times half and half as seller and buyer. I've only encountered this twice (both as a seller), so it could be a fluke...but I've never had a bad purchasing experience.

PA, if you have 2 negs out of 150, that isn't going to stop someone from buying from you if they want what you are selling. I have had maybe 5 or 6 negs over the last 6 years or so, all but one retalitory feedback from sellers. I paid my money, and when I had problems, emailed and tried to straighten it out. Left neutrals on most, and got neg'ed in return. How fair is that? One was from my experience as a seller when the person wan't happy with what she bought. She didn't emailme or anything, just neg'ed me and said 'it wasn't quite as she thought it would be'. Oh well.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
The system is flawed and since most people are so afraid of a negative feedback, it holds everyone in check and we get this worthless system.

Then add to the system, you silly billion dollar company, don't take away from it. I understand your side and I know that less than 100% positive feedback hasn't hindered me, but it's the principle.

I had one buyer that won the auction and then absolutely refused to answer a single email I sent him. I ended up reporting him to Ebay and he didn't respond to them either. Finally Ebay agreed to drop the costs from the auction and let me re-sell it. I left him negative feedback and only THEN did he finally respond and left me negative feedback as well.

He tried to claim that he'd sent out 2 checks and that I was trying to scam him.

He's no longer a member so the feedback is gone. That is one change that Ebay is making that I like.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)
I had one buyer that won the auction and then absolutely refused to answer a single email I sent him. I ended up reporting him to Ebay and he didn't respond to them either. Finally Ebay agreed to drop the costs from the auction and let me re-sell it. I left him negative feedback and only THEN did he finally respond and left me negative feedback as well.

He tried to claim that he'd sent out 2 checks and that I was trying to scam him.

He's no longer a member so the feedback is gone. That is one change that Ebay is making that I like.

that is good.

Talk about negative feedback . . .

Among the missing documents were an 1823 letter by U.S. Vice President John C. Calhoun and copies of the Davy Crockett Almanacs.

NEW YORK -- A New York state employee who had access to government-owned archives has been arrested on suspicion of stealing hundreds of historic documents, many of which he sold on eBay, authorities said on Jan. 28.

Among the missing documents were an 1823 letter by U.S. Vice President John C. Calhoun and copies of the Davy Crockett Almanacs, pamphlets written by the frontiersman who died at the Alamo in Texas.

Daniel Lorello, 54, of Rensselaer, New York, was charged with grand larceny, possession of stolen property and fraud. He pleaded innocent in Albany City Court on Monday.

He was found out by an alert history buff who saw the items posted on the online auction site and alerted authorities, the state attorney general's office said in a statement.

Lorello, a department of education archivist, pleaded not guilty to the charges although he previously admitted in a written statement to stealing documents and artifacts since 2002. The attorney general's office released a copy of his statement.

In 2007 alone, Lorello stated he took 300 to 400 items, including the four-page Calhoun letter, which drew bids of more than $1,700 while investigators were monitoring the sale.

Officials recovered some 400 items from his upstate New York home, which Lorello estimated was 90 percent of everything he had taken, but they have yet to determine how many items were sold online.

The state library's extensive collection includes an original first draft of Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation and complete set of autographs from the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

eBay auctions posted by Lorello included a Currier & Ives lithograph that he described as "in excellent condition." The Calhoun letter auction said "100 percent satisfaction is guaranteed."

Other items Lorello admitted in his statement to stealing and selling included an 1835 Davey Crockett Almanac, which fetched $3,200, and a Poor Richard's Almanac which went for $1,001.

eBay was cooperating with state officials in the probe.

eBay announced they will buy back the stolen documents, about $66,000 worth.

I was thinking about who to protect on eBay and if having honest buyers or sellers was more important. The seller can wait until he gets paid to ship, this avoiding 99% of the scams. The buyer can not wait until he has the item to pay. Having honest sellers and a system to determine that, is far more important that buyer feedback.

I had an experience on ebay where I won the auction, paid right away and 2 days later the seller refunded my money and told me he didn't have it available anymore. There were a lot of the same items on ebay going for $30-40 more than my winning bid. I told him I didn't find it any different than a buyer deciding after the auction that he didn't want to pay for it, so I would leave him negative feedback. He then went into a tirade using some filthy language that he would be leaving me negative feedback and that he knew how to track me down from my email address, I had given him my mailing address, and would personally "take care of me". I forwarded the emails on to ebay, and he is no longer a registered user.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
I had an experience on ebay where I won the auction, paid right away and 2 days later the seller refunded my money and told me he didn't have it available anymore. There were a lot of the same items on ebay going for $30-40 more than my winning bid. I told him I didn't find it any different than a buyer deciding after the auction that he didn't want to pay for it, so I would leave him negative feedback. He then went into a tirade using some filthy language that he would be leaving me negative feedback and that he knew how to track me down from my email address, I had given him my mailing address, and would personally "take care of me". I forwarded the emails on to ebay, and he is no longer a registered user.

I had a similar experience with a baseball acrd I won. It was a 2001 Topps Gold Frank Thomas, numbered to 2001. I have 34 of them now, and am always looking for more, so I found one on Ebay, and won it for $4.00 plus shipping, which was supposed to be $3 flat. Well, the seller first tried to say he didn't have it, then tried to charge me $10 for shipping, then said he didn't have it again, then insisted he wouldn't send it unless I paid the shipping AND insurance. I forwarded all my exchanges to Ebay after he filed a non-payer thingy on me. I never got the card, but he isn't a seller anymore, at least not with the same screen name. And I keep searching, and looking for one that has the same number as the one I already 'won'. I didn't get any verbal threats, but there was sure plenty of swearing and name calling.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)
Apparently I'm not alone in my frustrations...

I will be participating in this eBay boycott.

Who has more to lose in the situation. A seller who doesn't ship until they are paid, or the buyer who sends in their money hoping the seller is honest? Seems like eBays plan basically evens the field a little bit. I have a lot more to fear from a bad seller than a bad buyer. A bad buyer may leave me nagative feedback because he didn't like the item, a seller could take my money and run.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
Who has more to lose in the situation. A seller who doesn't ship until they are paid, or the buyer who sends in their money hoping the seller is honest? Seems like eBays plan basically evens the field a little bit. I have a lot more to fear from a bad seller than a bad buyer. A bad buyer may leave me nagative feedback because he didn't like the item, a seller could take my money and run.

thankfully, there's a lot more to protect the buyer than positive/negative feedback.

one of those being...BUYER PROTECTION

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
thankfully, there's a lot more to protect the buyer than positive/negative feedback.

one of those being...BUYER PROTECTION

Again, there is more risk for the buyer then seller. Actually there is almost no risk other than someone leaving negative feedback.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
Again, there is more risk for the buyer then seller. Actually there is almost no risk other than someone leaving negative feedback.

because no buyer has ever sent a bad check or money order to a seller.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 18, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
because no buyer has ever sent a bad check or money order to a seller.

The seller waits until it clears. Then if it is a bad Money Order or check the buyer gets a non payment ding.