Top Sports Movies...

daa84

I imagine this has been a thread at some point in soxtalk's history, but I thought I'd start it up. I was just discussing with a friend which to buy as a gift for someone.

My favorite of any sport might be Bang the Drum Slowly...

also, in baseball, i know its cliche and corny but i like Field of Dreams. bull durham is great of course and the natural is a classic, though i think a tad overrated.

hoosiers is the also the cliche underdog movie, but theres something about it that is just fantastic, and IMO the best bball movie.

Caddyshack for golf movies, and football gotta go with Brian's Song

What do you guys think?

As much as I hate to put two Kevin Costner movies on my list.....he does make a fine sports movie.....

--Bull Durham

--Tin Cup

and my non-KC movie would have to be Slap Shot with Paul Newman. I always have to watch that movie when i see it on TBS.

:notworthy

QUOTE(juddling @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 01:06 AM)
As much as I hate to put two Kevin Costner movies on my list.....he does make a fine sports movie.....

--Bull Durham

--Tin Cup

and my non-KC movie would have to be Slap Shot with Paul Newman. I always have to watch that movie when i see it on TBS.

What he said. Perfect list.

QUOTE(juddling @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 01:06 AM)

Man, why, there's like no dialogue left after the editting. :P

Major League is far and away #1 for me, and the second one is easily in the top 5. Slap Shot is also up there. Also, I can't believe I'm the first one to mention The Longest Yard, the first one was a classic. The Natural and Bull Durham probably round out the top 5 for me (okay, top 6, I just realized I can't count :lol: ). I tend to lean more towards the comedies than the serious sports dramas, though I do like most of the ones being mentioned.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

The kid in me loves watching "The Sandlot". Me and my childhood buddies had a similar thing going on in Carol Stream: ghost runners, 7 people playing a full game, cranky neighbors, kids down the block challenging us to random games. the only thing we were missing was the negro league ballplayer who would have been better than Babe Ruth. unfortunately, that guy must have lived in Streamwood. ;)

Edited by kyyle23

I could tell you which movie is NOT one of my top sports movies:

Mr. Baseball

I only had it on last night to have background noise while playing MVP 05 (i have 2 tv's in the room). I thought it would be cool to listen/watch that movie since i was already playing a baseball game, and i never actually saw the movie before. Well, wow, did it suck.

But it was cool to see Big Frank in the movie :gosoxretro: