Hawk signs extension

Dick Allen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 07:10 AM)
Hawk Harrelson will be calling White Sox games at least 4 more years, per Robert Feder in the Sun Times. Some hate him some love him, personally, he pisses me off a lot, but I do love him and am glad he will be around for a while.

That will take him to age 69. You can put it on the board ... wheeze!

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:10 AM)
as much as everyone doesn't like him.........he is white sox baseball to me. I can't imagine watching a game and not having hawk talk about catfish hunter.

whenever I think of Hawk talking about anything that he is repetitive about, I think of SSI71's post about Hawk being a robot

Edited by kyyle23

I would like to know how many people liked Hawk when he was with Wimpy vs Hawk when he is with DJ. To me, Hawk and Wimpy was the glory years for Hawk. he always seemed to have a good time with Wimpy(of course until the end) and he was never as argumentative(at least that I noticed). Now he just seems to get crotchity(sp?) and wants to tell DJ how right he is about everything. I dunno, maybe it is the age gap between the two that throws off the dynamic.

I will always love Hawk for his blind homerism and love for the organization. he drives me insane sometimes, and I definitely tune him out more often than not, but I do not look forward to the day that someone else will be making the homerun calls, as much as "you can put it on the board" is overplayed.

Hawk has been a HUGE part of the white sox culture for the past 20+ years... he's probably the biggest homer broadcaster in the history of baseball but i love him!! Hawk Harrelson to broadcast the Sox for 4 more seasons...... YESSSSSSS!!!

Edited by GreatScott82

I love Hawk's passion and energy for the game. He's one of a dying breed in broadcasting, so I am very glad that he'll be on the air for at least another 4 seasons. He's not one of the cookie-cutter announcers that most teams have, who are just there to collect a paycheck and pretend to care about the team that's employing them. Hawk is a fan just like all of us - he loves it when we win, and it kills him when we lose. :cheers

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:10 AM)
as much as everyone doesn't like him.........he is white sox baseball to me. I can't imagine watching a game and not having hawk talk about catfish hunter.

Four more years of Yaz man love. Hawk is a homer, but he I don't mind him. He is White Sox baseball.

:cheers

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
whenever I think of Hawk talking about anything that he is repetitive about, I think of SSI71's post about Hawk being a robot

Nah... an alien. I'd like to see him do a cameo in the next 'Men In Black' sequel.

That would explain alot, wouldn't it?

He's really not very good, most of the time... he's the biggest homer I've heard in that role... he's getting senile... and some of those character-calls he does are like nails on a chalkboard (the home run call, and all those folksy southern affectations that have no place in Chicago).

And yet, I just can't bring myself to really dislike the guy. As others here have said, he really is a big part of the modern era of White Sox baseball.

Hawk has always been a homer, and he has always been a guy who has nicknamed players. Thats not my issue with Hawk. Hell if he just kept to that he would be just fine. Its what he has recently turned into. The constant b****ing on the TV about how all of the umps have a personal vendetta with the sox is a disgrace. His start of the home run call only to watch the CF come in a few steps to catch an easy fly ball is almost Santo like. His new catch phrase of Daggumit and then 10 minute tirade on how all of the outs we had were crushed crisp line drives, and how the opposition had duck farts that just found the one space that the sox were not is also too much. His tit for tat thing with Kotex boy is over played.

Edited by southsideirish71

If Hawk wasn't the announcer for the Sox, I might be a Cubs fan right now. He and Frank Thomas was the main reasons I was drawn to the Sox as a kid, especially since the only other people in my immediate family that cared were/are Cubs fans. And although this may sound really cheesy, or just dumb reasoning, he's probably the main reason I'm in broadcasting. I'm glad to have Hawk for 4 more years, and I hope he stays longer after that.