Fields thought about walking away

rackemup

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
Man I hope this story doesn't get bigger. But at the same time Fields needs to understand, and probably does understand that in the sporting world, you have to have thick skin to succeed.

sounds like the colorado rockies would really like josh fields

QUOTE(buckweaver @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
Maybe if there were a few more Josh Fieldes in MLB the sport wouldn't have as much news happening on Capitol Hill as on the hot stove. Maybe we should be glad to have someone on the team we care about who is willing to stand up to the unsavory element sand not merely willing to allow dismiss them as "rich boys being rich boys." And I'm not talking about religion...I'm talking about what's right and what's wrong. One more thought...he only made these remarks in regard to himself and how the pro athlete lifestyle affected him...he was not judging. Trade him? Hell, I say find a bunch more like him.

:notworthy :headbang

QUOTE(buckweaver @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
Maybe if there were a few more Josh Fieldes in MLB the sport wouldn't have as much news happening on Capitol Hill as on the hot stove. Maybe we should be glad to have someone on the team we care about who is willing to stand up to the unsavory element sand not merely willing to allow dismiss them as "rich boys being rich boys." And I'm not talking about religion...I'm talking about what's right and what's wrong. One more thought...he only made these remarks in regard to himself and how the pro athlete lifestyle affected him...he was not judging. Trade him? Hell, I say find a bunch more like him.

So what's next, we turn into the Colorado Rockies and start banning Playboy and Penthouse in the locker room? Sorry, but I think that's bulls***. People should be allowed to do what they want in the locker room, whether it be cursing, listening to music with parental advisory warnings, reading Playboy, or whatever, so long as it prepares them to perform on the field. If you're an adult (as all of these players are, including Josh Fields) and can't handle other people doing those sorts of things, you should really reevaluate your life.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
So what's next, we turn into the Colorado Rockies and start banning Playboy and Penthouse in the locker room? Sorry, but I think that's bulls***. People should be allowed to do what they want in the locker room, whether it be cursing, listening to music with parental advisory warnings, reading Playboy, or whatever, so long as it prepares them to perform on the field. If you're an adult (as all of these players are, including Josh Fields) and can't handle other people doing those sorts of things, you should really reevaluate your life.

AMEN!! Anybody who is bothered by what goes on in the locker room is IMO not a strong Christian, but rather a tempted one. If he were so strong in his religion, he'd laugh off the nonsense that goes on and realize how fortunate he is to have his faith. I don't find this to be that big a deal, but Fields was more tempted by the groupies than anything else, regardless of what he says, IMO.

I have no problem with anybody have any religion and openly practicing it, but don't tell me that it almost caused you to quit your job. That's a classic case of talking out of both sides of your mouth, because anybody strong in a religion knows how to handle people who don't feel the same way.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)

It's a workplace and subject to workplace rules. Why not place a copy of Playboy on your desk at school or at work.

Most of you guys sound ridiculous!!

Here this guy is, probably one of the better guys on the team, speaking to youth and being open and honest about the lifestyle of pro-baseball. (b/c i'm sure all of you guys know what goes on, right?) An article comes out that massively misinterprets what he said, and his own fans get on him? This sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Not only that, he NEVER said he will shy away from the clubhouse!!

Given all of the thugs/jerks Sox fans have stuck up for in the past, it is incredible to see them rip on one of the good guys...

Absolutely pathetic

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)
Given all of the thugs/jerks Sox fans have stuck up for in the past, it is incredible to see them rip on one of the good guys...

Absolutely pathetic

If I can put up with Carl Everett's antics during 05...as long as Fields gets out there and does his job on the field, and keeps needles out of his ass, I'm happy to cheer him on. Does that count?

I think this is more of an issue of dealing with the disrespect you receive as a rookie than an issue as a Christian. There is nothing he wouldn't have already experienced in the minors and college locker rooms that fall into criteria he would find offensive as a Christian. I think it is more that he is no longer on an equal playing field as his peers. He was probably pretty well respected in the minors and college by teammates/coaches, but not he's in the big leagues and people feel the need to treat him like crap just because he's a rookie (as most rookies experience). He'll be fine, this probably was swayed out of context.

Whoever made the Chumbawumba joke, that was funny.

EDIT: He also may have realized how many MLB players use performance enhancers too and he became pretty shocked, but then again, I think the minors may be worse.

Edited by Markbilliards

QUOTE(buckweaver @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
Maybe if there were a few more Josh Fieldes in MLB the sport wouldn't have as much news happening on Capitol Hill as on the hot stove. Maybe we should be glad to have someone on the team we care about who is willing to stand up to the unsavory element sand not merely willing to allow dismiss them as "rich boys being rich boys." And I'm not talking about religion...I'm talking about what's right and what's wrong.

+1

I'm not sure what Fields didn't like in the clubhouse (outside of Ozzie's French), but we could certainly use more pro athletes in general who go about their business the right way.

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 06:54 PM)
I think this is more of an issue of dealing with the disrespect you receive as a rookie than an issue as a Christian. There is nothing he wouldn't have already experienced in the minors and college locker rooms that fall into criteria he would find offensive as a Christian. I think it is more that he is no longer on an equal playing field as his peers. He was probably pretty well respected in the minors and college by teammates/coaches, but not he's in the big leagues and people feel the need to treat him like crap just because he's a rookie (as most rookies experience). He'll be fine, this probably was swayed out of context.

Whoever made the Chumbawumba joke, that was funny.

EDIT: He also may have realized how many MLB players use performance enhancers too and he became pretty shocked, but then again, I think the minors may be worse.

i agree with you actually...this kind of makes me wonder about rookie hazing.....this is actually the third time in just a couple years that a young sox player has not meshed well under ozzie...logan complained about how rookies were treated, and then the whole tracey thing too...it does seem like a non-issue, but i have some good confidence in josh and i think he could be a big part of this team and i would hate to see him even end up demanding a trade or something silly because of our clubhouse

I hate to even bring this up but this is turning into a religious slam. Why are so many people on this board intolerant, and upset that Fields' faith in Christianity has resulted in morality/behavior that is different than other players? It sickens me that so many cheap jokes are being made at a Sox player who is, I will say it again, probably one of the better men on the team.

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 07:24 PM)
I hate to even bring this up but this is turning into a religious slam. Why are so many people on this board intolerant, and upset that Fields' faith in Christianity has resulted in morality/behavior that is different than other players? It sickens me that so many cheap jokes are being made at a Sox player who is, I will say it again, probably one of the better men on the team.

I'm not intolerant at all, and I'm not upset that he chooses not to curse or listen to "angry" music in the locker room (if this is the case, which isn't known at all). I just don't think locker rooms and clubhouses should be this holy place where people can't curse, listen to the music of their choice, or read the magazines/books of their choice.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
don't forget to mention the silver slugger

That's right, he was also the best offensive 3B in the American League for the 2006 seaso. Plus he's a 3 time All-Star ('98,'00,'02). AND he won the Most Valuable player award in 1998 and 2000!

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)
I'm not intolerant at all, and I'm not upset that he chooses not to curse or listen to "angry" music in the locker room (if this is the case, which isn't known at all). I just don't think locker rooms and clubhouses should be this holy place where people can't curse, listen to the music of their choice, or read the magazines/books of their choice.

And where did Fields say the locker room should be a holy place? Or that people can't curse?

He said he wasn't thrilled with what went on in there. None of us know exactly what was going on, so it seems a little premature and stereotypical to decide what Fields wasnt liking.