Fields thought about walking away

rackemup

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 06:49 PM)
You make a public cry to have people PM you for a book to read. Either you're spamming or spewing your own propoganda. Which is it? If you don't care, why did you reply?

I think by using a capital "B" he is hinting on the name of the books.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 07:49 PM)
You make a public cry to have people PM you for a book to read. Either you're spamming or spewing your own propoganda. Which is it? If you don't care, why did you reply?

This forum is supposed to be about baseball, not religion.

This thread was supposed to be about Josh Fields, not anyone elses personal beliefs.

Someone posted a plug for an atheist propaganda book, by name, by an atheist author and said he believed everone should read it.

I pointed out to him that this forum is supposed to be about baseball and not for promoting atheism or debating religion.

Then, in answer to his using this forum to publicly promote a particular book that he said he believes everyone should read, I responded that I too have a book that I reccommend but instead of publicly plugging that book on this forum, I would let him know what it was via PM, and only if he was interested.

See the difference?

He was making the "public cry" not me.

Now can we get back to baseball???

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

I don't want this to drag this any longer, but he was not the first to mention religion in this thread. Look at the post he responded to. How is that baseball related? Of course you don't response to that post because it's in line with your opinion. You say you don't want people spread anti-religious "propoganda" in a baseball forum in one post, but then in the VERY SAME POST you tell people you have your own Book that everyone should read. Quite hypocritical.

Just about everyone here likes Josh. We wish for him to have success in the field and help our White Sox. If he's really conflicted on whether he should play baseball or not, perhaps he should evaluate some of his other choices in life, which is why we are having this discussion. There may be some quotes taken out of context but if he did in fact say something along the lines of "I thought about quitting baseball because of what goes on" and is implying it is based on reglious beliefs, then I can see why people are critical of religion or Chrisitianity. Faith in anything can just be pure brainwashing which ultimately leads to a lot of bad decisions.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 08:29 PM)
Look, if you guys want to talk about religion and such, just request an admin to move some of this talk to Slam then yak it up.

I will say it again, this is a non-story just like Pedro and the cock fighting from the DR IMO.

What he said.

He's giving a speech to a bunch of impressionable kids who look up to his success. He was going for the dramatic, telling the kids that it's going to get rough sometimes but keep at it. I doubt he seriously contemplated retirement and/or quitting the game. It's like a coach's pep talk, it's full of a bunch of hyperbole to get the kids pumped up.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
Look, if you guys want to talk about religion and such, just request an admin to move some of this talk to Slam then yak it up.

I will say it again, this is a non-story just like Pedro and the cock fighting from the DR IMO.

You are not supposed to be the mature one in the room. Now please get belligerently drunk

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
I'd really like to see the logic behind this statement.

Opinions don't need to be backed up with any kind of logic, because opinions are based on how a person feels about a particular topic. However, if you need any kind of evidence that my opinion is indeed fact, watch the 2005 post season highlights and then break out a highlight reel from 2006, and you'll learn something.

And someone said this is a "non-issue" because it happened 2 years ago. I couldn't find who said that, but maybe that's because they either edited or erased the post - because the article specifically says it was at the end of last season, which would have been 2007. So it was a matter of a couple/few months, not years.

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 01:22 AM)
Opinions don't need to be backed up with any kind of logic, because opinions are based on how a person feels about a particular topic. However, if you need any kind of evidence that my opinion is indeed fact, watch the 2005 post season highlights and then break out a highlight reel from 2006, and you'll learn something.

And someone said this is a "non-issue" because it happened 2 years ago. I couldn't find who said that, but maybe that's because they either edited or erased the post - because the article specifically says it was at the end of last season, which would have been 2007. So it was a matter of a couple/few months, not years.

Opinions don't need logic, but a statement such as "Crede's merit as one of the best 3B in baseball" does need logic behind it.

To add on to your statement, his 2005 postseason was fantastic, and he had a good 2006. Darin Erstad has a career .339 average in the postseason and had a ridiculous 2000, but he's not one of the best centerfielders in the game; otherwise, the Sox may have won 85 games last year, and Erstad wouldn't be making just $1 mill this year (lucky guy).

Simply put, at his absolute best, Joe Crede might be a top 10 3Bman in the game; he offers fantastic defense and he puts up a pretty decent OPS. He's done that in only one of his 4 full years in the league.

I'd just very much say that Crede is a mediocre 3Bman who is very easily replaced by one Josh Fields. That is all.

It is a workplace, just like an office or any other place that people work at. These are adult men, being asked to act like other adult men at work. But somehow they can't be successful following the same rules as every other adult who holds a job in the US. How sad that they can't act like grownups tyhat they are stuck in some High School mode.

And I can't believe that anyone would advocate for immoral behavior over moral. Practice poraility in private and immorality in public!? Wow, someone's momma raised them right. Let's, get united behind immorality!! :headbang

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
Wow, someone's momma raised them right. Let's, get united behind immorality!! :headbang

Um, the thing I read that Josh said was that he wasn't comfortable with reporters waiting by his locker when he stepped out of the shower. The whole media angle is what seemed to bother him the most. Has nothing to do with immorality. That's just part of the game - and something that apparently he had problems adjusting to. He better learn to adjust quickly, because the media isn't going anywhere.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 07:11 AM)
Opinions don't need logic, but a statement such as "Crede's merit as one of the best 3B in baseball" does need logic behind it.

That wasn't what I said. Here's what I said...

I think they should trade Fields and hope they can sign Crede to a long-term deal (I've been saying this for a long time, based soley on Crede's merit as one of the best 3B in baseball IMO, so this is not a new position of mine).

If you don't know what IMO means, it's "In My Opinion". What is that opinion based on? Playing 3B as well as anyone else in baseball for several seasons (the latter part of which has been with 2 herniated discs in his back, by the way), and his evolution into one of the better clutch hitters in the game. He's coming off his best full season (2006), and is probably in the prime of his career.

If his back is healthy and the Sox trade him, I think it will be a big mistake. Why? Because Josh Fields has proven that he can hit the long ball, but at the expense of striking out almost 1/3 of the time and giving the Sox less than Joe Crede defense at the hot corner.

Great post about Fields holding a Bible study no different than another player having a Strip Club night out.

It amazes me the fact people turn on those players who have an interest in God.

IMO that's one of the problems main problems with society today.

The subject of God in MANY people's minds, if not MOST, is so taboo.

Yet talk shows, etc., can joke about strippers, drugs, sex, all they want.

I happen to think God is good, yet I also can go to a strip club and get drunk (especially in Vegas) once in a while.

I can't change anybody's minds, so I'll stop trying.

Sorry if I'm a cancer cause I like God.

Kudos to Fields!

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Feb 11, 2008 -> 06:38 AM)
That wasn't what I said. Here's what I said...

If you don't know what IMO means, it's "In My Opinion". What is that opinion based on? Playing 3B as well as anyone else in baseball for several seasons (the latter part of which has been with 2 herniated discs in his back, by the way), and his evolution into one of the better clutch hitters in the game. He's coming off his best full season (2006), and is probably in the prime of his career.

If his back is healthy and the Sox trade him, I think it will be a big mistake. Why? Because Josh Fields has proven that he can hit the long ball, but at the expense of striking out almost 1/3 of the time and giving the Sox less than Joe Crede defense at the hot corner.

There's no doubt Crede is a better defensive third baseman than Fields at this point.

But there are still a lot of question marks with Joe. Can he get back to the hitter he was in 2006? And can you re-sign him to a long - term deal with Bora$$ as his agent? And do you want to take the risk in signing Crede to a long - term deal with his back?

And I think Fields should at least improve his K rate as he matures in the upcoming years.

Because what happens if you trade Fields, and then Crede bolts in FA? You've got no-one to play third base, and the Sox can't afford for that to happen.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
And I can't believe that anyone would advocate for immoral behavior over moral.

I didn't realize cursing, listening to music with curses, or looking at Penthouse/Playboy was immoral.

For me, it has nothing to do with moral behaviors or immoral behaviors. Everyone has their different opinions on what is moral and what isn't, so your statement above just doesn't make much sense to me. If these grown men in the locker room want to curse or listen to music that's got a parental advisory sticker on it, good for them. Hell, as long as it doesn't affect their performance on the field, they could sacrifice a chicken and pray to whatever god they choose to believe in.

However, if people are starting to take offense to their behaviors, and credit their taking offense to some higher sense of morals, that's where I have issues. It's fine to have your own beliefs, but you shouldn't go around forcing those beliefs on others, which is essentially what a lot of the posts in this thread seem to be hinting at.

Now, I'm not saying that Josh Fields did this, he didn't. The original post was just an article that took a lot for granted and didn't check its sources too well.