Fields thought about walking away

rackemup

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
I didn't realize cursing, listening to music with curses, or looking at Penthouse/Playboy was immoral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Commandments

You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God

ie. cursing

You shall not commit adultery

http://bible.cc/matthew/5-28.htm

"(W)hoever looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart."

I'm not a rules stickler, but you asked.

:D

I didn't realize cursing, listening to music with curses, or looking at Penthouse/Playboy was immoral.

For me, it has nothing to do with moral behaviors or immoral behaviors. Everyone has their different opinions on what is moral and what isn't, so your statement above just doesn't make much sense to me. If these grown men in the locker room want to curse or listen to music that's got a parental advisory sticker on it, good for them. Hell, as long as it doesn't affect their performance on the field, they could sacrifice a chicken and pray to whatever god they choose to believe in.

However, if people are starting to take offense to their behaviors, and credit their taking offense to some higher sense of morals, that's where I have issues. It's fine to have your own beliefs, but you shouldn't go around forcing those beliefs on others, which is essentially what a lot of the posts in this thread seem to be hinting at.

Now, I'm not saying that Josh Fields did this, he didn't. The original post was just an article that took a lot for granted and didn't check its sources too well.

And where in ANY article does Fields say he is going to force his beliefs upon others? Most of you all have the same hole in your arguments. You fail to realize that any type of behavior is a result of a certain set of beliefs, now whether that manifests itself in the form of a practicing faith is another. How come you aren't so quick to worry whether the "immoral" players might be forcing their belief on the "moral" players? It seems to ONLY be the other way around with you guys. Someone says Christianity and immediately people are afraid of them forcing beliefs on others. WAKE UP! How stereotypical and biased can you be?

Do you guys really think Josh Fields is single handedly going to throw the White Sox clubhouse in disarray b/c he is a Christian? That is pure foolishness. I think the real issue is with Christianity. Most people hear it and immediately become unwilling to have it be any place in our society. Again wake up and realize that everyone holds to some sort of belief. And to say that beliefs shouldn't be shared with others is A BELIEF IN AND OF ITSELF!!!! BY SAYING THAT YOU ARE DOING THE VERY THING YOU SAY SHOULDNT HAPPEN

Edited by NCsoxfan

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)

Can you do that at your work? Anyone here able to have a Penthouse out on their desk?

For me, it has nothing to do with moral behaviors or immoral behaviors. Everyone has their different opinions on what is moral and what isn't, so your statement above just doesn't make much sense to me. If these grown men in the locker room want to curse or listen to music that's got a parental advisory sticker on it, good for them. Hell, as long as it doesn't affect their performance on the field, they could sacrifice a chicken and pray to whatever god they choose to believe in.

However, if people are starting to take offense to their behaviors, and credit their taking offense to some higher sense of morals, that's where I have issues. It's fine to have your own beliefs, but you shouldn't go around forcing those beliefs on others, which is essentially what a lot of the posts in this thread seem to be hinting at.

Now, I'm not saying that Josh Fields did this, he didn't. The original post was just an article that took a lot for granted and didn't check its sources too well.

Ok, I partially understand where you are coming from now. I saw on your profile you are only 20 years old. That is a pretty big topic to cover for someone who doesn't even have a college degree let alone many life experiences or time in a full time work environment...

phew, thank God this got pushed to my neck of the woods... 8 pages of catching up and NOW I get to join. Hilarious thread, btw.

I guess no one on Soxtalk knows what "FCA" or "Fellowship of Christian Athletes" is, because if you did this thread wouldn't exist. As someone said on page 6 or 7...he's talking to impressionable young CHRISTIAN...ATHLETES...about the temptations and pressures and ugly side of playing professional sports.

A few people ripped on Fields for not knowing what he was getting into when he started in the big leagues (more of less you think he's naive) fine, but yet you rip on him for sharing his experiences with kids (that share his belief) so that they might not be as unprepared to life in proximity to this lifestyle if/when they get the same opportunity.

This really isn't about religion, as much as it is a professional athlete talking to amateur athletes about any given aspect of the game they play and the differences that professional level brings.

He could have said...it's really hard to manage your budget and not be tempted to buy a 100k car with your first paycheck. or the level of training and preparation really surprised me compared to college and minor leagues.

I don't see the difference and I don't see the need to drag this into the mud.

I respect Josh for taking the time to talk to young kids about this topic. I would send my kid to a camp he was coaching/teaching/speaking at.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
Can you do that at your work? Anyone here able to have a Penthouse out on their desk?

Absolutely, and in some regard, I'd bet that a kitchen compares very well to a locker room.

Baseball players generally don't have desks; comparing the corporate world to the athletic world is apples to oranges in my mind; once you get into upper management, it's obviously a completely different story, but locker rooms are quite crazy, and I would venture to guess that much of that stuff happens a ton.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)

I could if I had a desk... but then again, I'm a intramural referee. So yes, I am able to curse and such :P To the same effect though, the locker room is not a standard office by any means, as wite already mentioned.

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 10:07 PM)
And where in ANY article does Fields say he is going to force his beliefs upon others? Most of you all have the same hole in your arguments. You fail to realize that any type of behavior is a result of a certain set of beliefs, now whether that manifests itself in the form of a practicing faith is another. How come you aren't so quick to worry whether the "immoral" players might be forcing their belief on the "moral" players? It seems to ONLY be the other way around with you guys. Someone says Christianity and immediately people are afraid of them forcing beliefs on others. WAKE UP! How stereotypical and biased can you be?

Do you guys really think Josh Fields is single handedly going to throw the White Sox clubhouse in disarray b/c he is a Christian? That is pure foolishness. I think the real issue is with Christianity. Most people hear it and immediately become unwilling to have it be any place in our society. Again wake up and realize that everyone holds to some sort of belief. And to say that beliefs shouldn't be shared with others is A BELIEF IN AND OF ITSELF!!!! BY SAYING THAT YOU ARE DOING THE VERY THING YOU SAY SHOULDNT HAPPEN

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)

Good reading there, champ. Next time at least read the post that you're quoting.

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 10:30 PM)
Ok, I partially understand where you are coming from now. I saw on your profile you are only 20 years old. That is a pretty big topic to cover for someone who doesn't even have a college degree let alone many life experiences or time in a full time work environment...

Ok, yeah. Ignore everything I say because I'm only 20. It's clear that I know nothing, I should basically just stop talking at all. I mean, how could I offer any insight on any matter, when there are obviously people who're older and know more than me? My mistake.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
I guess no one on Soxtalk knows what "FCA" or "Fellowship of Christian Athletes" is, because if you did this thread wouldn't exist.

I do :P They regularly came and talked to my high school classes.

Edited by Felix

"Ok, yeah. Ignore everything I say because I'm only 20. It's clear that I know nothing, I should basically just stop talking at all. I mean, how could I offer any insight on any matter, when there are obviously people who're older and know more than me? My mistake."

More or less, yes. Now go to bed, you have school in the morning

Didn't McKay do the same thing (leave to follow his religious beliefs)?

Yeah. It was that and he couldn't play well enough.

I'm sure the Fields thing is blown out of proportion. He'll be fine. He probably would fit in better with Colorado but the Sox clubhouse is far from the Playboy Mansion. Josh will be a fine ballplayer for the Sox for a long time.

Crede is gone. Please. His agent is borass for the millionth time. They don't want to sign an extension with the Sox.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
Absolutely, and in some regard, I'd bet that a kitchen compares very well to a locker room.

Baseball players generally don't have desks; comparing the corporate world to the athletic world is apples to oranges in my mind; once you get into upper management, it's obviously a completely different story, but locker rooms are quite crazy, and I would venture to guess that much of that stuff happens a ton.

You may be surprised what your HR department will say about that topic. There are US laws regarding the subject. You may have noticed the harassment topic from time to time in the news.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 11, 2008 -> 11:26 AM)
I love how all these athletes give all their success up to God. My favorite is when they hit a homer and point to God. Yeah, cause God wanted you to hit a homerun.

Absolutely, same as the ones that can't hit a home run unless they can listen to songs about b****es and view pictures of naked hos.

There's one of two things going on (or both)

1) Everyone has a "PA" filter on and didn't read my post

or

2) Everyone has a "truth and reality" filter on and didn't read my post

either way, the same ignorant and bigoted conversation keeps rolling on. Enough with the religion bashing.

Fields was talking to a PRIVATE group of people who SHARE THE SAME BELIEFS. What he said was HELPING them PREPARE for their future careers in High School, College, and beyond. He wasn't prepared for the boy's club and perceived debauchery and media circus that pro sports brings. He didn't want other people to face that same surprise.

Did he really want to walk away from sports? Maybe/Maybe not. Either way, it's his personal decision whether it was due to his health, his family, his beliefs, or his pocket book.

End of Non-Story.

I love how all these athletes give all their success up to God. My favorite is when they hit a homer and point to God. Yeah, cause God wanted you to hit a homerun.

I'd love for one of these guys to be interviewed after a loss and the interviewer to ask them "Why did god want you to lose today? Does he love the other team more?" or "Why did god make you give up that dinger in the 8th ?"

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Feb 11, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
I'd love for one of these guys to be interviewed after a loss and the interviewer to ask them "Why did god want you to lose today? Does he love the other team more?" or "Why did god make you give up that dinger in the 8th ?"

Right, because that's exactly how God operates.

Get a grip, please.

Why can't people be tolerant? Like somebody said, some people prefer thinking about God more than violent rap, b****es and hos. For some reason we've gotten to the point people get pissed at the athletes that credit God. If they want to thank God by pointing to the sky, why get worked up about it? If the interviewer asked that, he should also ask those who love getting drunk every night if their late night escapades caused the team to lose or him to give up a home run. And yes I think it's OK to say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays and yes if the person informed me he didn't celebrate Christmas I'd say then Happy Holiday to you as well. This new anti God world pisses me off.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 11, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
There's one of two things going on (or both)

1) Everyone has a "PA" filter on and didn't read my post

or

2) Everyone has a "truth and reality" filter on and didn't read my post

either way, the same ignorant and bigoted conversation keeps rolling on. Enough with the religion bashing.

Fields was talking to a PRIVATE group of people who SHARE THE SAME BELIEFS. What he said was HELPING them PREPARE for their future careers in High School, College, and beyond. He wasn't prepared for the boy's club and perceived debauchery and media circus that pro sports brings. He didn't want other people to face that same surprise.

Did he really want to walk away from sports? Maybe/Maybe not. Either way, it's his personal decision whether it was due to his health, his family, his beliefs, or his pocket book.

End of Non-Story.

Hey, anybody know where sox4lifeinPA is? I am surprised he hasn't weighed in on this topic yet. :D

QUOTE(greg775 @ Feb 11, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
Get a grip, please.

Why can't people be tolerant? Like somebody said, some people prefer thinking about God more than violent rap, b****es and hos. For some reason we've gotten to the point people get pissed at the athletes that credit God. If they want to thank God by pointing to the sky, why get worked up about it? If the interviewer asked that, he should also ask those who love getting drunk every night if their late night escapades caused the team to lose or him to give up a home run. And yes I think it's OK to say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays and yes if the person informed me he didn't celebrate Christmas I'd say then Happy Holiday to you as well. This new anti God world pisses me off.

I just think the guy is a whack-job, based on that story.

Here's a good story. I was at a friend's wedding and his new father-in-law gave a speech. In the speech he said that my friend's committment to his daughter 'began at the baptismal fountain'. I still make fun of him for that. I'm amazed at how blindly people follow religion. It makes for a good laugh.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 11, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
Right, because that's exactly how God operates.

Well, I think that's the point. If there is a God, he probably doesn't care about your strikeout, your HR, your team winning the WS, your rap album, etc. etc.

Or, if he's going to get the credit for the good, he has to take the blame for the bad.