Fields thought about walking away

rackemup

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
I hate to even bring this up but this is turning into a religious slam. Why are so many people on this board intolerant, and upset that Fields' faith in Christianity has resulted in morality/behavior that is different than other players? It sickens me that so many cheap jokes are being made at a Sox player who is, I will say it again, probably one of the better men on the team.

I think you know why.

With that said, this is potentially a major problem. If Josh had reservations about whether or not it was "right" for him after just a few short months, who's to say that won't be a problem again in the future?

A major problem? I disagree.

I just wish people were as tolerant of guys like Fields and the Royals' Mike Sweeney

who care about their faith, as much as big leaguers being tolerant of those who love to get drunk, cheat on their wives, etc.

God is good; so is going out and getting hammered once in a while.

People need to be tolerant of all types, even in locker rooms.

I just wish people were as tolerant of guys like Fields and the Royals' Mike Sweeney

who care about their faith, as much as big leaguers being tolerant of those who love to get drunk, cheat on their wives, etc.

Did Jeebus ever charge the mound while the pitcher was kicking around the rosenbag?

CHICAGO -- He went deep during his very first Major League at-bat in September of 2006. He led all American League rookies in home runs and slugging percentage last season, and Josh Fields already has endured in-season position switches from third to left field and back to third.

It's been a pretty full big league experience for the phenom in less than one year of service time. But it's certainly not enough to give Fields pause for thought to walk away from the game.

That suggestion was made in regard to Fields as part of an article in Thursday's edition of the Tulsa World. Actually, the spirit of the article, based on Fields' speech before a Fellowship of Christian Athletes luncheon on Wednesday, suggested Fields seriously debated leaving baseball after his breakthrough campaign in 2007.

On Thursday, Fields made it clear how retirement has never been a consideration and he's anxiously awaiting the most important Spring Training of his career. A retraction concerning Fields' thoughts on retirement will be run in Friday's edition of the Tulsa World.

"A couple of quotes got backed up to one another and misinformed people who were reading the article," said a very calm Fields, explaining the problem on Thursday evening. "As far as me talking about retirement, I'm 25 and I haven't even finished a full season.

"Both the editor and I had no idea why it was put in there. I was talking about the struggles of pro baseball, when a young country kid goes to the big leagues."

There certainly was no anger present in Fields' voice when talking about this brief controversy, and the White Sox third baseman of the future fully admitted the quotes in print were completely accurate.

According to the article, Fields spoke of how getting a first taste of the big leagues in 2006 equaled the dreams he had of the experience before arriving. The follow-up part of the quote, though, suggested Fields had some doubts as to whether he belonged.

"But the further I got into my professional career, the more I had to deal with everything else that goes along with being a professional athlete," said Fields at the luncheon. "There were so many things going on in the clubhouse that I really questioned if professional baseball was for me."

Fields explained how "things going on in the clubhouse" mentioned in the article dealt with new demands placed on a frontline player by the media and other ancillary issues outside of baseball, such as meeting the occasional dignitary or celebrity who would show up at a particular game. They had absolutely nothing to do with any sort of personality clash among his teammates, coaches or manager Ozzie Guillen.

As an All-Conference Big 12 quarterback at Oklahoma St., not to mention the White Sox top pick in the 2004 First-Year Player Draft, Fields certainly is not unfamiliar with the bright lights of the television cameras. In fact, Fields has been a forthright and engaging persona since joining the White Sox.

Being a good quote doesn't always mean the particular player is completely at ease at all times with the media. It's especially true for Fields, who was experiencing his first everyday dealings as part of an underachieving team.

"When you are in college, you are doing interviews in a conference room with at least one coach in there with you," Fields explained. "If you have tough questions asked toward you about your performance, the coach can cut it off and spin it toward a positive angle for the player.

"Last year, I was getting questions about all of my strikeouts and different things like that, or stuff like having no hits in two weeks. They don't seem like tough questions, but when you are already pretty hard on yourself and want to get hits, you are not used to answering them.

"So, that was a description of the clubhouse atmosphere, as far as the media being in there one hour prior to the games and directly right after the game," Fields added. "I was a young country kid, and I walk out of the shower with a towel wrapped around me and people are there to ask you questions about struggling a bit."

Dealing with the mental part of the game has been an obstacle Fields has gradually conquered since allowing himself to get flustered over early struggles with Class-A Winston-Salem and Double-A Birmingham. And it's those doubts early on in his career that Fields was talking about specifically when questioning if he belonged in the game.

"The story made it sound like I couldn't handle the pressure I was running into," said Fields, whose doubts stemmed, as an example, from watching players drafted in lower rounds put up better numbers than him early on. "It made it seem like after the season I had last year, I was ready to shut her down."

Instead, Fields will begin the drive to Tucson, Ariz., next week after a brief stopover in Chicago. He's excited about the upcoming camp competition, with the White Sox deciding between Fields and 2006 incumbent Joe Crede at third base.

Fields arrives with his complete focus on baseball, never doubting that he made the right athletic decision. His decision didn't waver after watching Eli Manning lead one of the greatest Super Bowl upsets in NFL history, the same quarterback whom Fields stayed with snap-for-snap during the 2004 Cotton Bowl against Mississippi.

"Seeing Eli win the Super Bowl and playing against him in the Cotton Bowl [during my] junior year and coming so close to beating him, you could think, 'Maybe I should be playing there with those guys or against those guys,'" Fields said. "My grandpapa gave me an important piece of advice that once you make a decision, stick with it and don't look back.

"I'm not going to look back. I'm excited to be with the White Sox. My family and I love Chicago, and there's no question I made the right decision."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Link

This should clear some stuff up. From the White Sox web site.

QUOTE(bighurt4life @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 09:48 PM)
I hear that Uribe likes to cover his naked body with Bar-B-Que sauce after each game, maybe that's what was bothering Josh.

STOP MAKING UP LIES ABOUT JUAN URIBE! HE OBVIOUSLY WOULD NEVER DO THAT YOU INSENSITIVE TWIT, GROW UP!

Because it's A1 steak sauce he covers his naked body with after every game, not BBQ.

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 11:06 PM)
STOP MAKING UP LIES ABOUT JUAN URIBE! HE OBVIOUSLY WOULD NEVER DO THAT YOU INSENSITIVE TWIT, GROW UP!

Because it's A1 steak sauce he covers his naked body with after every game, not BBQ.

I wonder how sick Juan gets after a night of that mixed in with his between innings attacks of cakes and pie. God he probably pops tums like other baseball players pop sunflower seeds.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 10:03 PM)

"God is Not Great How Religion Poisons Everything" by Christopher Hitchens....a book I think everyone should read

QUOTE(JoeCredeYes @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
"God is Not Great How Religion Poisons Everything" by Christopher Hitchens....a book I think everyone should read

Thanks. Any general background information or would you rather not bias people for/against reading it?

I personally do not care what Josh's beliefs are or what religion he practices. I do get concerned about chemistry in the clubhouse, however. I worry when Josh talk about the good he can do or example he can set, or however he phrased it. I just hope he practices his morals and religion in private and performs on the field as necessary to help the team compete. The last thing I want to see is a divided team because someone starts running a bible study group in the massage room.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
AMEN!! Anybody who is bothered by what goes on in the locker room is IMO not a strong Christian, but rather a tempted one. If he were so strong in his religion, he'd laugh off the nonsense that goes on and realize how fortunate he is to have his faith. I don't find this to be that big a deal, but Fields was more tempted by the groupies than anything else, regardless of what he says, IMO.

I have no problem with anybody have any religion and openly practicing it, but don't tell me that it almost caused you to quit your job. That's a classic case of talking out of both sides of your mouth, because anybody strong in a religion knows how to handle people who don't feel the same way.

Any support for this statement? Just curious. I know how BA loved the major league honies but did not hear anything about Josh.

I wonder how sick Juan gets after a night of that mixed in with his between innings attacks of cakes and pie. God he probably pops tums like other baseball players pop sunflower seeds.

LOL

QUOTE(Pants Rowland @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
Thanks. Any general background information or would you rather not bias people for/against reading it?

I personally do not care what Josh's beliefs are or what religion he practices. I do get concerned about chemistry in the clubhouse, however. I worry when Josh talk about the good he can do or example he can set, or however he phrased it. I just hope he practices his morals and religion in private and performs on the field as necessary to help the team compete. The last thing I want to see is a divided team because someone starts running a bible study group in the massage room.

What a stupid statement. Exactly how should he "practice his morals in private"? So he's not allowed to practice good moral behavior just because everyone else acts a different way? In a way you are saying, "Josh should act like everyone else, and he can be a Christian in private" How biased can YOU get?

EVERYONE has beliefs and practices. Whether they manifest themselves in the form of a practiced faith is a separate question. If a player acts in a way that is in every way against Christianity, that is a belief system and behavioral pattern, even if its not an explicity religion. So why should Fields, just because he's a Christian, be forced to act just like the rest of the team? Again, it baffles me that people have such a high tolerance for jerks, but when a GOOD guy comes along, he gets ripped to shreads.

Your last statement exhibits even more stupidity. How do you assume him being a Christian will act in division among the team? Even if it did, how would the blame be put on Josh? If that is the case, then it isn't his fault. All of your statements smell of someone who is intolerant of people practicing their own faith in a FREE country. Moreover, what is the big deal even if HE DID RUN A BIBLE STUDY? How is that any different than Buerhle starting a strip club night? Just b/c one is morally upright, it shouldnt be tolerated? Your lack of tolerance and deliberate stereotyping are prime examples of whats wrong in this world. Again, you pretty much think that people are allowed to practice behavior ONLY if it is within the consensus of everyone else.

QUOTE(JoeCredeYes @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)

This forum is supposed to be about baseball and not atheist propaganda or debates on religion.

I know of a Book I think everyone should read. PM me and I'll tell you what it is.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 04:33 PM)
What a stupid statement. Exactly how should he "practice his morals in private"? So he's not allowed to practice good moral behavior just because everyone else acts a different way? In a way you are saying, "Josh should act like everyone else, and he can be a Christian in private" How biased can YOU get?

EVERYONE has beliefs and practices. Whether they manifest themselves in the form of a practiced faith is a separate question. If a player acts in a way that is in every way against Christianity, that is a belief system and behavioral pattern, even if its not an explicity religion. So why should Fields, just because he's a Christian, be forced to act just like the rest of the team? Again, it baffles me that people have such a high tolerance for jerks, but when a GOOD guy comes along, he gets ripped to shreads.

Your last statement exhibits even more stupidity. How do you assume him being a Christian will act in division among the team? Even if it did, how would the blame be put on Josh? If that is the case, then it isn't his fault. All of your statements smell of someone who is intolerant of people practicing their own faith in a FREE country. Moreover, what is the big deal even if HE DID RUN A BIBLE STUDY? How is that any different than Buerhle starting a strip club night? Just b/c one is morally upright, it shouldnt be tolerated? Your lack of tolerance and deliberate stereotyping are prime examples of whats wrong in this world. Again, you pretty much think that people are allowed to practice behavior ONLY if it is within the consensus of everyone else.

Thanks for your very intelligent and Christian response. You extrapolated a whole lot of information from my comment. Very impressive.

First, let me clarify, I am all for Josh setting a good example as a human being who respects his teammates by practicing the golden rule. I probably did not do a good job phrasing things when I mentioned him practicing his morals in private. If he is a standup guy, it will show wherever he goes and that is to be commended. I do not idolize and tolerate jerks any more than christians, communists, fascists, atheists, or anything else that someone may or may not have a problem with.

My concern was his statement: "I prayed about it and realized there is nowhere I could have more influence right now than in that clubhouse." I hope that means that he wants to set a good example by working hard, respecting himself and his teammates and having fun at the game of baseball.

I am going to assume that is all he meant but there are some zealots (christian or not) who take things to extremes and try to impose their will on others. The culture around the Rockies clubhouse is a prime example where some players may be having the will of others imposed upon them. Banning Playboy is one thing, pressuring people to be christians is something else. I have also read of other instances where very religious players who were good people overall had a negative influence over the clubhouse. In particular there was a player in Japan I read about in You Gotta Have Wa whose spirituality really messed up the clubhouse. More recently, I believe Royce Clayton had a similar impact. It didn't help that he could not hit his weight, either. Anyway, just because someone calls themself a christian does not mean they follow the teachings of Jesus. So it is possible for a devout christian to be as disruptive to team chemistry as a jerky prima donna is to his team.

As for my last "stupid" statement, I do not care if he conducts bible studies, seances, or santeria sacrifices and other players join him. Just as some players may not want Playboy or Hustler in the clubhouse, I do not think a bible study hour is all that appropriate either. At most, put a time and place on the bulletin board and let others attend at their own free will.

You tell me I lack tolerance and deliberately stereotype people and say that is a prime example of what's wrong in this world. You further assume I only allow people to practice behavior if it is within the consensus of everyone else. I do not know you, but from reading only a few posts, I get the feeling there is some projection going on here.

You fail to realize the clubhouse is a workplace. I love talking religion and politics and anything else controversial because it is a great way to learn and hopefully teach and create a better society. In many ways I find it to be our duty to posterity to continue to ask and answer questions on these controversial topics. However, there is a time and place for everything.

Like I said, Josh can be a nice guy and set a good example for humanity and I am all for it. However, if he or any other player start using the clubhouse as a medium for preaching, that is where I draw the line.

This forum is supposed to be about baseball and not atheist propaganda or debates on religion.

I know of a Book I think everyone should read. PM me and I'll tell you what it is.

That's usually when I tell the mormons/Christ of Latterday saints/whomever that I've already seen the light and am not interested in waking up early on Sundays again and I proceed with shutting the door.