Soxtalk's Biggest Loser Club

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 03:52 AM)
You're a UofM student I assume, since you're in Ann Arbor. I know how it goes buddy, I go to Grand Valley...

Anyway, sandwiches are probably your best bet to keep a leaner diet that can still fill you up. Get honey oat or wheat instead of white if you can. Turkey/chicken will give you the most protein from he meats available, but roast beef or ham aren't bad either. Try to lay off the mayo if possible and opt for something lighter. Piling up the veggies helps too. PB&J is always good too...lots of protein.

And drink tons of water. It's absolutely necessary.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
it was always so tough for me in college...but not because of what the cafeteria served...IMO there were plenty of healthy options available and at a school like michigan I have to think there still are...we had a couple of sandwich places where you could get a wrap or wheat bread, a couple of vegetarian places...we even had a stir fry place which wasn't horrendous for you ..you could even get a taco salad with chicken......my cafeteria always had a baked chicken, that frankly stunk, but it was high in protein and low in fat.....also smoothies for breakfast....what burned me was drinking, ordering pizza, making frozen bagel bites, going out to dinner, etc....its really tough in college IMO...whatever you do id say try to get into a good workout routine..that can always be done, no matter what is available to eat, and if you can cut back a bit on what you eat you will begin to lose weight

and for anyone else reading the thread...la tortilla tomato basil soft wraps...100 calories...12g fiber (nearly half daily value) and only like 10% of daily carbs....i made a wrap with some perdue chicken strips, lettuce, carrots, sliced almonds and fat free asian salad dressing...really good

Thanks for the advice. I actually go to U of I Champaign, I havent updated my profile. Some cafeterias are healthier, like for lunch i went to a different one and I had baked chicken which I added sliced tomato on top of, with green beans on the side, a banana and a side salad. Healthy yet alot of food so Im still full from it.

The trouble is that the dorm I live at is really unhealthy, and I just dont have time to go 20 mins each way to a healthier dorm alot of times. My family is big, so we have changed lifestyles to help, so wheat bread is basically a staple of mine for when I have sandwiches now, and I like turkey but I need variety sometimes so thats what makes it hard.

And Grand Valley is so much healthier than U of I, my girlfriend goes there and I went up to visit for the first couple days of your semester to help her move into her honors apartment, and the food we had was really good and healthy. Much more fresh when it came to veggies and fruit, plus they had real dinner options like oven baked turkey, something my dorm never has. Although my dorm cafeteria is brand new, its awful. They go on a weekly routine for food, so every station is the same week in and week out. And none of it is really healthy, and the little that is is overeaten because its a weekly routine.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
Thanks for the advice. I actually go to U of I Champaign, I havent updated my profile. Some cafeterias are healthier, like for lunch i went to a different one and I had baked chicken which I added sliced tomato on top of, with green beans on the side, a banana and a side salad. Healthy yet alot of food so Im still full from it.

The trouble is that the dorm I live at is really unhealthy, and I just dont have time to go 20 mins each way to a healthier dorm alot of times. My family is big, so we have changed lifestyles to help, so wheat bread is basically a staple of mine for when I have sandwiches now, and I like turkey but I need variety sometimes so thats what makes it hard.

And Grand Valley is so much healthier than U of I, my girlfriend goes there and I went up to visit for the first couple days of your semester to help her move into her honors apartment, and the food we had was really good and healthy. Much more fresh when it came to veggies and fruit, plus they had real dinner options like oven baked turkey, something my dorm never has. Although my dorm cafeteria is brand new, its awful. They go on a weekly routine for food, so every station is the same week in and week out. And none of it is really healthy, and the little that is is overeaten because its a weekly routine.

Where did you go when you came up to GV? Kleiner is generally very unhealthy, but they have a sandwich place and a lot of salad options. Fresh Foods is always good, and far healthier, but it's buffet-style, so that can be an issue lol. There's also a salad place and Subway under Kirkhoff, so I suppose you're right.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
Where did you go when you came up to GV? Kleiner is generally very unhealthy, but they have a sandwich place and a lot of salad options. Fresh Foods is always good, and far healthier, but it's buffet-style, so that can be an issue lol. There's also a salad place and Subway under Kirkhoff, so I suppose you're right.

We went to Fresh Foods, and although its buffet I see it as really healthy (if anything, it jsut goes to show you the options at my dorm). The other place we went to was the more fast food like place, which im guessing is Kleiner. The grilled chicken sandwich was good, im guessing thats not to bad for you, and the sub place tasted just like subway, so I liked it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
We went to Fresh Foods, and although its buffet I see it as really healthy (if anything, it jsut goes to show you the options at my dorm). The other place we went to was the more fast food like place, which im guessing is Kleiner. The grilled chicken sandwich was good, im guessing thats not to bad for you, and the sub place tasted just like subway, so I liked it.

Ya, I lived right in the dorm next to Kleiner last yr (North B).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)
This thread has become A LOT more active the last couple weeks. For a while it was just me and Rex. lol.

You're welcome. ;) We'll see how long it lasts...the New Years Resolutioners don't last too long.

well i've lost another two pounds, and down to 238....down 9 total...its nice to know that what i have been doing is working....and i feel alot better already...more energy, and working out isn't such a total hassle because it comes easier now...I really have to crack down the next few days because I know superbowl sunday is gonna be bad news...i'm going to try to limit myself, but i know I will end up drinking and eating too much

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
well i've lost another two pounds, and down to 238....down 9 total...its nice to know that what i have been doing is working....and i feel alot better already...more energy, and working out isn't such a total hassle because it comes easier now...I really have to crack down the next few days because I know superbowl sunday is gonna be bad news...i'm going to try to limit myself, but i know I will end up drinking and eating too much

That's exactly why I'm staying home to watch the game. I got invited to two different SB parties and I declined both of them. There would be no way I could turn down the gobs and gobs of wings/pizza/beefs/nachos/chips/beer/ect.

Edited by Jordan4life

236...i am pumped to have lost a pound...i weighed myself the morning of and day after the superbowl and that was bad news...i was back almost to 240 after the superbowl but im back down to 236 and looking to really step it up and get to 230 and lower....i feel great and am building my endurance running...i run into trouble eating dinner sometimes, but im still limiting myself and eating far more healthy than i used to

Down 10 more pounds! I'm now at 197. I'm not going to reach 170 by February 15, obviously. Which is fine. I'll get there soon enough. I do think I'm going to have to cut down on my cardio workouts some. I've been tired as hell of late. And I'm struggling to finish them. Something I wasn't having a problem with before.

Doesn't sound like much, but I'm down 4 pounds total. However, I'm seeing a lot of change in my body. I'm replacing a lot of that fat with some lean muscle and I'm feeling much better overall. Seemed a bit bummed out that even though I was looking better, the scale wasn't showing much. Nice to see a change for once. After some early exams and the Super Bowl challenge, I'm in for the long run now.

If you guys have a stairmaster machine at the gym, get your ass on it.

Keep eating that protein and drinking water. Water is your friend as you piss out the bad stuff.

In terms of snacks, sunflower seeds(non shell) and baby carrots are a wonderful idea.

It is also good to have 3 meals, and have 2 more snacks throughout the day.

If anyone wants a good workout regime, im your guy. My story is, I have lost my six pack under a pound or two of flab...(damn alcohol). I work out for a good 2 hours a day(perks of unemployment) and am trying to get my body back to its needed establishment. What foods can you recommend for healthy eating, but still allows me to pack on the muscles?

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 12:01 AM)
If you guys have a stairmaster machine at the gym, get your ass on it.

Keep eating that protein and drinking water. Water is your friend as you piss out the bad stuff.

In terms of snacks, sunflower seeds(non shell) and baby carrots are a wonderful idea.

It is also good to have 3 meals, and have 2 more snacks throughout the day.

If anyone wants a good workout regime, im your guy. My story is, I have lost my six pack under a pound or two of flab...(damn alcohol). I work out for a good 2 hours a day(perks of unemployment) and am trying to get my body back to its needed establishment. What foods can you recommend for healthy eating, but still allows me to pack on the muscles?

Cottage Cheese. High in protein/low in fat.

Cliff Bars.

Zone Bars.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 11:05 PM)
This thread has become A LOT more active the last couple weeks. For a while it was just me and Rex. lol.

Eat more. More protein, more complex carbs. If you are still heavy on your cardio workouts, you'll burn off the carbs no problem.

As for me, I'm struggling big time. Struggling with discipline, both with consistency of food intake and workouts, especially on weekends. Weight is all over the place right now, but I am roughly 10 pounds heavier than I was at the end of the year.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)
Eat more. More protein, more complex carbs. If you are still heavy on your cardio workouts, you'll burn off the carbs no problem.

As for me, I'm struggling big time. Struggling with discipline, both with consistency of food intake and workouts, especially on weekends. Weight is all over the place right now, but I am roughly 10 pounds heavier than I was at the end of the year.

I hear ya. My diet/nutrition program is going great. The workouts are getting tough. I don't know if I've hit a wall or what. I decided to take a week off from the gym. I'm still doing plenty of ab work and push-ups. I'm also doing some light lifting. But I need a break from the cardio. Hopefully, I'll be re-charged come Monday.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's safe to say J4L is back on track after hitting a little wall for a few weeks. I just completed an extremely vigorous 1-week workout regimen that has resulted in me losing 7 more pounds. Down to 190 now. 20 more pounds to go. I can see the threshold.

Oh, and I'm not sure how many here take supplements, but I would recommend anyone to look into one called Xenadrine RFA X. http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3190415

I've been taking 4-6 capsules a day for two weeks. I can't remember ever feeling so energetic in my life. They're definitely legit.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)
I think it's safe to say J4L is back on track after hitting a little wall for a few weeks. I just completed an extremely vigorous 1-week workout regimen that has resulted in me losing 7 more pounds. Down to 190 now. 20 more pounds to go. I can see the threshold.

Oh, and I'm not sure how many here take supplements, but I would recommend anyone to look into one called Xenadrine RFA X. http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3190415

I've been taking 4-6 capsules a day for two weeks. I can't remember ever feeling so energetic in my life. They're definitely legit.

Are they safe though?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)

Damn J4L, we are very similar in our weight loss goals. I don't take supplements, but i was at 230 lbs, and in 7 weeks I am now down to 208 lbs with my goal being 170. I've made a complete lifestyle change, and that has been my key to losing weight.