Economic Stimulus Check

sox4lifeinPA

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
Well, just found out I owe $1200 in taxes because my lovely wife had her tax withdrawals setup wrong at work. So, i give the government $1200 and in May get it back. So much for helping the economy.

by my math, she's 600 bucks in the hole and you still have 600 bucks to spend on yourself, er, the economy. :P

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)
by my math, she's 600 bucks in the hole and you still have 600 bucks to spend on yourself, er, the economy. :P

yea, we dont budget that way. One thing we were told in marriage prep.. "It's not your money. It's not my money. It's OUR money". I have friends who divide their money. It's nasty.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 05:43 PM)
yea, we dont budget that way. One thing we were told in marriage prep.. "It's not your money. It's not my money. It's OUR money". I have friends who divide their money. It's nasty.

I was making a funny.

but, I agree...one checking account for us.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 05:50 PM)
I knew you were. Just making a statement :) Sometimes I need to get on my soapbox. lol I cant say it to them, so i need to get it off my chest. lol

oh man, preach it then. :P

I don't like stressing my wife out with the details of finances. I manage the check book and pay all the bills, set up a mutual fund, have two active savings accounts, 401ks, eliminating the debt and after all of that, I say...go out and spend whatever. It seems to work so far.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)

I don't like stressing my wife out with the details of finances. I manage the check book and pay all the bills, set up a mutual fund, have two active savings accounts, 401ks, eliminating the debt and after all of that, I say...go out and spend whatever. It seems to work so far.

My wife wants nothing to do with managing the money. but the second I say "no"... oh holy hell breaks loose. lol

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)

Consider this contructive criticism. By you taking care of all the finances you are doing her a disservice. If something happens to you 5 years from now, she's going to be completely lost and totally stressed if she has to deal with it. The financial issues should be, on regular basis, a team effort. For example, every month, you both sit down and work out the budget. Eh ... you get my drift. It's only my opinion, but it's one I feel strongly about.

PS3 and some games. Possibly a Wii if I have enough left over.

Or, I'll be smart and put it away for a down payment on a place. ...Nah.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Feb 11, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
I don't even make 50% of that...

Not sure if you spoke with RockRaines about this yet, but you are SEVERELY underpaid. Software Engineers coming out of college are making close to 60k/year at this point. I'd highly suggest looking in Chicago, Naperville, and/or Schaumburg. What's your area of expertise?

QUOTE(almagest @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 11:50 PM)
PS3 and some games. Possibly a Wii if I have enough left over.

Or, I'll be smart and put it away for a down payment on a place. ...Nah.

Not sure if you spoke with RockRaines about this yet, but you are SEVERELY underpaid. Software Engineers coming out of college are making close to 60k/year at this point. I'd highly suggest looking in Chicago, Naperville, and/or Schaumburg. What's your area of expertise?

He lives in Rockford so I don't think our area would be a feesable employment option.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 12:23 AM)
Consider this contructive criticism. By you taking care of all the finances you are doing her a disservice. If something happens to you 5 years from now, she's going to be completely lost and totally stressed if she has to deal with it. The financial issues should be, on regular basis, a team effort. For example, every month, you both sit down and work out the budget. Eh ... you get my drift. It's only my opinion, but it's one I feel strongly about.

you're 100% right. I see that a lot with elderly couples...why is it that the survivor always is the one without the financial experience?

we've only been married for 8 months and it's something I plan on doing when she finishes school in July and gets her first real job.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
you're 100% right. I see that a lot with elderly couples...why is it that the survivor always is the one without the financial experience?

we've only been married for 8 months and it's something I plan on doing when she finishes school in July and gets her first real job.

That makes sense, now. Cool. :cheers

An aside. You college seniors are going to get a check NEXT year. There's a "second chance rule" that was implemented. Thought you all might like to know that.

Signed, Kap, CPA.

(as always, my disclaimer... yes, Kap is a CPA and no, he doesn't have his own practice called Kap, CPA, nor should this be construed as tax advice that should be relied upon... I'm just passing on the word). :)

Say your son is an unmarried college student with $3,500 of earned income in 2007. If you're allowed to claim him as a dependent on your 2007 return, he's not entitled to the $300 minimum rebate that would otherwise be allowed to him. However, if he's not a dependent in 2008 (say, because he provides for over half of his own support in that year) he may qualify for a credit on his 2008 return under the second chance rule. In fact, his credit could be as much as $600, depending on his 2008 income and tax liability.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 11:23 PM)

Someday she may have to walk into a car dealer . . . :ph34r:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 10:18 AM)
Someday she may have to walk into a car dealer . . . :ph34r:

The more she is prepared, the better. Some of those guys can talk some s***, and if they pick up on the fact that a potential buyer will fudge the truth, they'll use it. After all, the commission check cashes just the same.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)
hahaha. She doesn't like BMWs.

So she walks into a Chevy dealer and looks at a Corvette. Now we all know if you look at a car that is too expensive for you, anything that happens after that is your fault. You should not be there. After all why else would you be looking :P Bottom line, if someone salesperson takes advantage of your wife, daughter, son, or mother, the correct answer is stupid idiot, you deserved what you got :D you went along with it. :usa

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 07:21 AM)
He lives in Rockford so I don't think our area would be a feesable employment option.

True, but he already said he drives quite a distance to work, so perhaps a bit further for more money wouldn't be a bad idea. Also, the areas I've mentioned seem to be the best bets in the state for tech jobs. At some point he may consider moving, so I thought it worth mention.

QUOTE(almagest @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
True, but he already said he drives quite a distance to work, so perhaps a bit further for more money wouldn't be a bad idea. Also, the areas I've mentioned seem to be the best bets in the state for tech jobs. At some point he may consider moving, so I thought it worth mention.

or get a job as a BMW salesman...apparently they're making bank off stupid people these days.

relocation pays, but with a family I understand how difficult that can be. That's one reason why engineers make a lot, they tend to have a strong willingness to relocate. I moved to the middle of Iowa, one friend moved to KY now he's in Indiana. One moved to TN. Another started out in Arkansas and is now in OK. A few are on the west coast. One's in Boston, another in Pittsburgh. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, and most of us grew up in the Chicago area.

Good lord I wish I got paid hourly right now...70 hour weeks at 25 bucks an hour would be pretty awesome. I also hope that as my paycheck continues to grow (I've been told i'm getting a very nice raise this year, hopefully it holds true given the economic circumstances) and while it does grow I hope I'm smart enough to remember how much I b****ed about working ridiculous hours (and do what I can to save a bit more throughout my life so I can never really have to worry about money (just have a nice house, solid car, and the ability to go on some modest vacations each year). I have some things that are expensive taste, but early on in my life as a working stiff I've came to realize that having freedom/time is more important than anything (cause it makes me happier than money or anythinge else, but you obvioulsy need some money).

It does make me feel good seeing that I'm a year out of college and making more than the average us household though and than horrid that that wouldn't allow me to even have my own place where I live (or even close to having my own place....WHAAA).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)
Good lord I wish I got paid hourly right now...70 hour weeks at 25 bucks an hour would be pretty awesome. I also hope that as my paycheck continues to grow (I've been told i'm getting a very nice raise this year, hopefully it holds true given the economic circumstances) and while it does grow I hope I'm smart enough to remember how much I b****ed about working ridiculous hours (and do what I can to save a bit more throughout my life so I can never really have to worry about money (just have a nice house, solid car, and the ability to go on some modest vacations each year). I have some things that are expensive taste, but early on in my life as a working stiff I've came to realize that having freedom/time is more important than anything (cause it makes me happier than money or anythinge else, but you obvioulsy need some money).

It does make me feel good seeing that I'm a year out of college and making more than the average us household though and than horrid that that wouldn't allow me to even have my own place where I live (or even close to having my own place....WHAAA).

If I took my hours worked divided by my paycheck, it wouldn't go too far on a per hour base. But, I can't complain at the end of the year when I see my W2s.

I have to, and don't be offended, y'all (especially Kap)

I found this BMW dealership that will let me use my stimulus check as a down payment on any one of their cars :lolhitting I'll only be able to drive it for a few weeks, but then I just have to call the media and I'll be out of the contract :headbang Where else can you rent a sweet ride for $300?

QUOTE(almagest @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 11:50 PM)

Tell me about it. Overworked and underpaid. It's the story of my life. I was in contact with a head-hunter during a job search once and when I told her what I made she laughed...

I do mostly mainframe stuff. Programming languages that are older than I am. I messed up by getting my 2-year degree just before the web programming stuff really took off. Back in 97-98. I really need to go back to school (which I can't afford) or become self-taugh in the newer programming languages.

QUOTE(almagest @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
relocation pays, but with a family I understand how difficult that can be. That's one reason why engineers make a lot, they tend to have a strong willingness to relocate. I moved to the middle of Iowa, one friend moved to KY now he's in Indiana. One moved to TN. Another started out in Arkansas and is now in OK. A few are on the west coast. One's in Boston, another in Pittsburgh. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, and most of us grew up in the Chicago area.

I'm willing to commute. I already drive 40 miles (about 1 hour) one-way. I can't imagine it would be that much different taking 90 into the western burbs. Relocation is a slim possibilty but not something I'd rule out right away. The kids are getting a little older so after-school care isn't as much of a concern as it used to be.