Chet Coppock = imbecile

The Critic

QUOTE(BearSox @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)
I don't know who the guy is, and I'm not defending him... but what's so offensive about that? Give me a f***ing break.

Really?

You don't understand the stereotype about Jewish people and money?

It's an ignorant, stupid and antiquated remark.

Chet Coppock, btw, is a Chicago radio has-been from a simpler time.

His questions to his guests are often much longer than the answers.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)
Really?

You don't understand the stereotype about Jewish people and money?

It's an ignorant, stupid and antiquated remark.

His questions to his guests are often much longer than the answers.

I know that, and it was ignorant and stupid, but puh-lease. If someone was actually offended by that, give me a break.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
I know that, and it was ignorant and stupid, but puh-lease. If someone was actually offended by that, give me a break.

it reminds of that seinfeld episode where elaine dates the bad breaker upper...when they break up he calls her big head.......jerry says "big head? thats almost a compliment" and elaine responds "its one of the nicest things anyones ever said to me"

Edited by daa84

I honestly am one of the people who think the pendulum towards political correctness has swung much too far. Obviously some things should not be joked about, whether it is the use of the "n" word, or other ethnic slurs which are purely hateful.

But others are less offensive and more silly than hurtful. If we continue to take the ability away to laugh at ourselves, joke about ourselves, etc., the world really becomes a dry, boring place to be. Additionally, that's when you get these nutjobs coming out of the woodwork, who've been storing anger and just go out and start shooting people.

In no way do I advocate the use of insults and slurs as a way of discussing people or ethnic groups. But come on, let's not take all the fun out of every little humorous jab we can take at one another to keep things fun and entertaining.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(BearSox @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 08:04 PM)

I agree with the suspension just on the basis of Chet being too clueless and self-absorbed to realize that it's a stupid, tired, unfunny, uninteresting, irrelevant, time-wasting remark that no doubt was offensive to someone, most likely someone in management at his place of employment.

I really would like to know the context of the conversation, to find out how the question of "how to spell Jewish" even came up.

Someone that dumb obviously needs the month off to try to come up with something better to say than that.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
In no way do I advocate the use of insults and slurs as a way of discussing people or ethnic groups. But come on, let's not take all the fun out of every little humorous jab we can take at one another to keep things fun and entertaining.

But was that comment fun and entertaining? I didn't find it either of those things.

I think busting someone's balls on an individual basis is much funnier and can give insight into the relationships between people you hear on the radio. Tired racial remarks and stereotypes don't entertain me. Maybe I read too much into it, I don't know, but I just want something a little more clever than that.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
But was that comment fun and entertaining? I didn't find it either of those things.

I think busting someone's balls on an individual basis is much funnier and can give insight into the relationships between people you hear on the radio. Tired racial remarks and stereotypes don't entertain me. Maybe I read too much into it, I don't know, but I just want something a little more clever than that.

You know Ben Finfer is Jewish, right? He was probably just razzing his ass...they were probably bothing razzing eachother's asses. I don't know, people need to lighten up a bit IMO. I'm not saying it was a smart thing to say, but honestly, would you be offended if the guy had told a polish joke about them having a screen door in a submarine?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)
You know Ben Finfer is Jewish, right? He was probably just razzing his ass...they were probably bothing razzing each other's asses. I don't know, people need to lighten up a bit IMO. I'm not saying it was a smart thing to say, but honestly, would you be offended if the guy had told a polish joke about them having a screen door in a submarine?

Would I be offended? No. I'm of Polish descent and I'm never offended by jokes, because I know they don't apply to me.

Would I assume that everyone listening to a major-market radio show (low-rated though it may be) would also be OK with it?

No.

Would I take the chance that any of my Polish bosses or Polish advertisers might be offended? No.

I'd like the world to lighten up, too, but that simply isn't the way things are these days, and it was stupid of Coppock to blurt something like that into an open mic.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 08:43 AM)
Would I be offended? No. I'm of Polish descent and I'm never offended by jokes, because I know they don't apply to me.

Would I assume that everyone listening to a major-market radio show (low-rated though it may be) would also be OK with it?

No.

Would I take the chance that any of my Polish bosses or Polish advertisers might be offended? No.

I'd like the world to lighten up, too, but that simply isn't the way things are these days, and it was stupid of Coppock to blurt something like that into an open mic.

If you go through life always worrying about offending no one, you won't accomplish much of anything...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
If you go through life always worrying about offending no one, you won't accomplish much of anything...

And if you barrel through life not worrying about anything you say and that everyone else should "lighten up", neither will you.

It's all situational, and in his situation there were consequences to his stupidity.

If his joke was about Finfer, then he simply could have replaced "Jewish" with "Finfer" - that way, if any other Jewish person took offense, it would be their own fault for extrapolating Coppock's remark about one person into thinking it was about all Jews.

But Coppock's not that smart.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)

Simpler time? For simpler people? Gee talking about offensive ;) I guess us simple old folks are lucky to have y'all around to learn us something. Not all of us use a Mac . . .