Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 02:09 AM)
Ha. I saw Derrick Rose play multiple times live in high school. He is a good shooter. He doesn't have to score and can be a great floor general but if he wants to turn it on, he will. When exhibition is done and the real games start, he'll turn it on.

This isn't an exhibition by the way.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 07:59 PM)
This isn't an exhibition by the way.

Really? Thought the regular season started the week before Thanksgiving.

Still, I stand my Derrick Rose being a good shooter.

Who should I be worried about in the Maui Invitational? Marquette is the number one seed and (thus) gets Chaminade in the first game. Round two will be against OK State or LSU (so long as we advance), and if we're lucky enough to get to the championship game, we get one of Duke/Arizona State/UofI/Princeton. I generally know about Duke and UofI, but is the winner of that second round game (LSU-OKState) something to worry about?

And yes I realize I'm jumping the gun a bit -- Maui doesn't kick off for another two weeks but I'm still pretty excited.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 03:11 AM)
Not us.

You think so? UofI shouldn't have any trouble with ASU. Then they have Duke. Duke may be a better team then than Illinois this year, but the Illini match up very well with them. The Blue Devils will be based around a bevy of wings and they'll rely HEAVILY on the 3. Which is good news for the Illini, as those shots will likely struggle to fall against their D(especially if those stiff Maui rims aren't a myth). I think there's a good chance at a UofI/Marquette final, though that will depend upon how quickly Duke's frontcourt can mature.

As for LSU/OSU, there shouldn't be any worries. Neither will be any goo though LSU does still have Tasmin Mitchell.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 08:28 PM)
You think so? UofI shouldn't have any trouble with ASU. Then they have Duke. Duke may be a better team then than Illinois this year, but the Illini match up very well with them. The Blue Devils will be based around a bevy of wings and they'll rely HEAVILY on the 3. Which is good news for the Illini, as those shots will likely struggle to fall against their D(especially if those stiff Maui rims aren't a myth). I think there's a good chance at a UofI/Marquette final, though that will depend upon how quickly Duke's frontcourt can mature.

As for LSU/OSU, there shouldn't be any worries. Neither will be any goo though LSU does still have Tasmin Mitchell.

Haha, I was really just continuing my trend of constantly bashing this team throughout this thread.

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 08:04 PM)
Really? Thought the regular season started the week before Thanksgiving.

Still, I stand my Derrick Rose being a good shooter.

We start virtually a week later than almost everyone. Most teams first regular season game is this week, we just decided to schedule are two exhibitions a week apart.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 10:09 PM)
We start virtually a week later than almost everyone. Most teams first regular season game is this week, we just decided to schedule are two exhibitions a week apart.

Falker 3:16

Edited by Brian

NIU won both of the exhibition games easily against top 5 ranked D III teams (which I feel better about after seeing Michigan State against a top D II team) and open their season Friday at Northern Iowa, playing 3 games in 3 days at the UNI Tournament. I'm just hoping they can go 2-1 in that and show some things, I like the style the new coach Ricardo Patton has them playing, and there are a couple talented newcomers. We follow that up with a trip to SIU next Saturday and then a trip to Indiana State next Tuesday before coming home for 3 games. It's nice to at least have something interesting in regards to basketball going on here again, too bad about the football team though.... :ph34r:

As for the Illini, they play their 2nd and final exhibition game tonight against Kentucky Wesleyan at the Assembly Hall at 8 PM, before opening the regular season Sunday at 1 PM hosting Northeastern. I am interested to see how tonight goes, lots of guys fighting for playing time/avoiding being redshirted. Oh, and is there really an argument in this thread about if Derrick Rose is a good shooter? Please.....he's a fine shooter, he just doesn't shoot all that much.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)
NIU won both of the exhibition games easily against top 5 ranked D III teams (which I feel better about after seeing Michigan State against a top D II team) and open their season Friday at Northern Iowa, playing 3 games in 3 days at the UNI Tournament. I'm just hoping they can go 2-1 in that and show some things, I like the style the new coach Ricardo Patton has them playing, and there are a couple talented newcomers. We follow that up with a trip to SIU next Saturday and then a trip to Indiana State next Tuesday before coming home for 3 games. It's nice to at least have something interesting in regards to basketball going on here again, too bad about the football team though.... :ph34r:

Its nice that there can be an in-state game in Illinois. Too bad the fighting Illini dont feel the same way ;)

Seriously though, if there was something like the Iowa in-state games or a tournament, I think it would be huge for any of the teams involved.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
Its nice that there can be an in-state game in Illinois. Too bad the fighting Illini dont feel the same way ;)

Seriously though, if there was something like the Iowa in-state games or a tournament, I think it would be huge for any of the teams involved.

Illinois used to have a tournament - I think it was the Illini Classic and they usually were other teams from Illinois there. I remember them playing ISU several times back when I went to school there. I think that they played Bradley last season and I know that the Illini have played UIC several times in the last 5 or 6 years.

QUOTE(LauraJ14 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 10:30 AM)
Illinois used to have a tournament - I think it was the Illini Classic and they usually were other teams from Illinois there. I remember them playing ISU several times back when I went to school there. I think that they played Bradley last season and I know that the Illini have played UIC several times in the last 5 or 6 years.

Kyle is referring to the run around that Illinois gives SIU when approached about playing each other. Chris Lowery has asked Weber about it to no avail. It goes back as far as Weber asking Self to no avail.

I was hoping Illinois would beat VTech last year in the tournament so we could have that match up.

QUOTE(LauraJ14 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 10:30 AM)

SIU-UofI is the one I want :D

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 10:39 AM)
Kyle is referring to the run around that Illinois gives SIU when approached about playing each other. Chris Lowery has asked Weber about it to no avail. It goes back as far as Weber asking Self to no avail.

I was hoping Illinois would beat VTech last year in the tournament so we could have that match up.

I think it is probably better for Bruce right now that they lost to Va Tech. If SIU would have done to the Illini what they did to Va Tech, I dont know that Weber would still have his job right now

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)
I'm really excited to see Illinois play tonight, I missed the first exhibition game and kinda feel out of it. Now college basketball can start, because Snb said so.

Are you still planning on coming down here for the IU game? Let me know for sure so I can keep a look out for tickets. Greasy what about you?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)
SIU-UofI is the one I want :D

I think it is probably better for Bruce right now that they lost to Va Tech. If SIU would have done to the Illini what they did to Va Tech, I dont know that Weber would still have his job right now

Why would Weber lose his job if they had lost to SIU in the tournament?

SIU was a better basketball team at tournament time than Illinois last season.

As an longtime Illini fan, I can be fair and objective about my team's chances.

I think Weber did a fine job last season with the injuries and problems that the team had.

I am looking forward to seeing this year's team and think they are going to surprise some people.

QUOTE(LauraJ14 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 05:00 PM)
Why would Weber lose his job if they had lost to SIU in the tournament?

SIU was a better basketball team at tournament time than Illinois last season.

As an longtime Illini fan, I can be fair and objective about my team's chances.

I think Weber did a fine job last season with the injuries and problems that the team had.

I am looking forward to seeing this year's team and think they are going to surprise some people.

Because before this recent recruiting explosion he's had, he was just getting criticized like no other due to his lack of superstars that he brought in. SIU was obviously the better team last season but some of the U of I fans would have exploded if they would have lost to SIU.