Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
2, but then face a team with a big man (maybe UCLA in a 1 vs 4 game). At least McNeal and James seem to be getting out of their funk.

Funny that you're more optimistic than I am. I'd say one win, getting Crean off the "no wins without Wade" schnide, but nothing past the first weekend.

Then again... if Mbakwe is as good a defender as everyone is touting him to be (just about everyone who talked about the pre-season Kansas State/Marquette scrimmage said Mbakwe was the only guy to play decent defense on Beasley), I can see a Sweet 16 appearance.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
Ive seen comments, not sure which ones your referring to?

Are they the ones where he said Carlwell needs to lose weight and work harder?

i'd presume those were the ones. i don't really like it, but it will undoubtedly be blown out of proportion as with most things weber says/does.

Those comments were made before Carlwell decided to transfer. Im not exactly sure whats wrong with what Weber said, I understand Carlwell went through a tragic accident, but at the same time should Weber just give him a spot on the team and not expect him to work as hard as the rest of the players?

At the end of the day, Carlwell has been looked at as a victim, and therefore he has been given a lot of concessions. I cant find an article, but im pretty sure that Carlwell had been drinking that night as well.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 08:02 PM)
Those comments were made before Carlwell decided to transfer. Im not exactly sure whats wrong with what Weber said, I understand Carlwell went through a tragic accident, but at the same time should Weber just give him a spot on the team and not expect him to work as hard as the rest of the players?

At the end of the day, Carlwell has been looked at as a victim, and therefore he has been given a lot of concessions. I cant find an article, but im pretty sure that Carlwell had been drinking that night as well.

I was under the impression those comments came out today.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/80...-carl21.article

"Brian has faced adversity and dealt with injuries and feels it is in his best interest to get a fresh start next season " Weber said. "We appreciate the contribution he has made to our program and wish him the best, and we will support him in any way we can regarding his future at another university."

Those are the comments Weber said today.

The comments that you are quoting is what he said in regards to why Carlwell decided to transfer. Weber had been trying to get him to red-shirt this year but Carlwell did not want to. At least thats what they were saying during the Wisconsin/Illinois game.

Here is the comment you referred to:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=139182

"We've talked to him," Weber said about Carlwell on Monday. "We've sat down with him. Not only myself, but the whole staff: 'You've got to get your weight down. You've got to make a decision. You've got to put in time.' "

The key part is on MONDAY.

Which was before he decided to transfer.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/80...-carl21.article

Those are the comments Weber said today.

The comments that you are quoting is what he said in regards to why Carlwell decided to transfer. Weber had been trying to get him to red-shirt this year but Carlwell did not want to. At least thats what they were saying during the Wisconsin/Illinois game.

Here is the comment you referred to:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=139182

The key part is on MONDAY.

Which was before he decided to transfer.

The truth sometimes hurts. If he would have knocked his head on the floor and suffered a sever concussion, that wouldn't affect his weight or his effort.

Why do you guys think he wouldn't red shirt? He could heal his knee and start fresh next year.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
OMG! The truth! What an ass!

You do know Carlwell still suffers effects from the crash that nearly killed him, in large part due to the slow response time to the accident thanks to his "teammate" deciding he didn't need to call 911, but rather call Wayne McClain and let the neighbor call 911, don't you? Bruce Weber's comments on Carlwell were kind of like the program he runs, pathetic and out of control.

Your bias is just so apparent. This comment is pathetic and out of control:

"Brian has faced adversity and dealt with injuries and feels it is in his best interest to get a fresh start next season " Weber said. "We appreciate the contribution he has made to our program and wish him the best, and we will support him in any way we can regarding his future at another university."

Appreciate the contribution and wish him the best, and will support him in any way we can regarding his future at another university.

What are you talking about?

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 08:51 AM)
2, but then face a team with a big man (maybe UCLA in a 1 vs 4 game). At least McNeal and James seem to be getting out of their funk.

Sweet 16 appearance, really? A team as erratic as a whole and individually as they are? Lacking a true force down low in the slightest won't allow them to go much of anywhere unless James and McNeal decide to stay out of their funks, which has never happened. I don't see it.

QUOTE(gbuk @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 04:41 AM)
Sweet 16 appearance, really? A team as erratic as a whole and individually as they are? Lacking a true force down low in the slightest won't allow them to go much of anywhere unless James and McNeal decide to stay out of their funks, which has never happened.

Hah -- thank you for that. That isn't hyperbolic in the least. But hey, I'm glad we have another 'all-every-team, all-every-conference' expert around here -- can never have too many of those.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 10:49 PM)
Hah -- thank you for that. That isn't hyperbolic in the least. But hey, I'm glad we have another 'all-every-team, all-every-conference' expert around here -- can never have too many of those.

Ever heard of exaggeration to make a point? Clearly they've been out of funks together many times, but I still don't trust either of them. I am absolutely not an expert about everything, but to say they've been anything but erratic over the past 2 years would be wrong.

Just look at what James has done in Big East play and down the stretch the last two years and that's really all you need to know about him.

Edited by gbuk

QUOTE(gbuk @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 04:51 AM)
Ever heard of exaggeration to make a point? Clearly they've been out of funks together many times, but I still don't trust either of them. I am absolutely not an expert about everything, but to say they've been anything but erratic over the past 2 years would be wrong.

Offensively they've been erratic, sure, but both of them bring it to the defensive end just about every night. That's why -- bringing this back to my original question -- I wouldn't worry about a team that is 'guard-oriented'. I'm fairly confident that our top three can match up (defensively) with just about anyone's in the nation. The issue arises when we face a team with athletic (or just plain talented) #3-4 types -- guys that spring to mind are Alexander at WVU, Adrien at UConn, Singler for Duke (although I'm fairly certain if we didn't get the treatment from the refs -- something like an 11 foul difference between the two teams -- we win that game), Clark for Louisville. Obviously there are other factors at play, but we simply don't have a matchup for those types. Add in a better-than-competent big man -- Thabeet, Mr Facilitator (Padgett), Harangody -- and Marquette is in a LOT of trouble.

That's why I'm cautiously optimistic about Mbakwe. He plays much bigger than his 6'7 (?) frame.

And fathom's Sweet 16 statement isn't completely off-the-wall. So long as they finish out the season relatively well, they should be in that 5-8 range as far as seeding, so they'll most likely be a first round favorite. Of course, a 5-to-8 seed would make them a second round underdog, but unless it's an 8-vs-2 or 7-vs-3 matchup, they wouldn't be that much of an underdog.

My expectations right now are at 1.5 wins -- I think the final four Big East games will determine whether that number goes up or down a half a win.

QUOTE(gbuk @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 04:51 AM)
Just look at what James has done in Big East play and down the stretch the last two years and that's really all you need to know about him.

Wonderful -- more of the "It's all James' fault!" crowd. I get enough of that up here. If you've watched even a reasonable amount of Marquette basketball over the past couple seasons, it's clear how much worse of a team Marquette is when James is off the floor. Does that make James a great player? No, not in the least. But I absolutely hate it that the faults of Tom Crean (not having a good gameplan against teams with a zone, among other things) are put on the shoulders of DJ.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)
Your bias is just so apparent. This comment is pathetic and out of control:

Appreciate the contribution and wish him the best, and will support him in any way we can regarding his future at another university.

What are you talking about?

You did read the quote didn't you? He pretty much calls him lazy and says he was stubborn for not redshirting and basically says he's being a baby not getting into shape. I'd like to see Weber's dumbass get into shape with post concussion, seeing the person that put him into that state get preferential treatment. And I know the comments were Monday, but Weber knew the transfer was coming weeks ago, just like fathom and everybody else did.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

"We've talked to him," Weber said about Carlwell on Monday. "We've sat down with him. Not only myself, but the whole staff: 'You've got to get your weight down. You've got to make a decision. You've got to put in time.'

He didnt call him a baby, he didnt call him lazy, he just said the truth, it is what it is.

What is so ironic, is that you want the driver in jail, but you completely let Carlwell off the hook.

Was Carlwell forced into the car?

Was Carlwell made to take that ride?

He got hurt, bad things happen to good people all the time. But Smith did not intentionally injure him, at some point Carlwell needs to take responsibility for his actions. You want to act all tough towards Smith, but you have no clue what went down. Its all hearsay conjecture, and bottom line you are looking for an excuse to hate Weber.

Maybe blame the University of Illinois, last I checked they are still letting Smith stay in school. If he can stay in school and his team wants him on the court, who are you to decide differently?

Take your shots at Weber now, because in a few years Illinois is going to be back at the top of the Big 10 and then what?

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 07:20 AM)
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10659277

Any Indiana fans with information?

This basically seems like worst case scenario.

i don't think there's a chance in hell that the kids don't finish the season. sampson likely gets some sort of walking papers today and i would bet the entire indiana team will be in uniform tomorrow against northwestern. i don't blame them for reacting that way, but cooler heads will prevail.

in regards to the carlwell situation, i agree that he holds a degree of responsibility, although lesser than smith. in the initial aftermath of the incident, i was more favoring smith to be gone but i changed my opinion primarily because how his teammates (the people who were actually there) including carlwell, lined up in support of him afterwards. to me, that is more significant than hearsay or second-hand accounts of what happened that night. does anyone think that if smith knowingly and willfully attempted to let his teammate die that everyone including the player himself would line up in unanimous support of him? i don't.

that said, i respect the opinion of anyone who thinks he should be gone. if you want to stake your claim to some moral high ground, it's hard to argue with that approach. it clearly was an ugly incident and something that will always be mentioned when the name jamar smith comes up. he will get a rough ride next year. that, coupled with a year-and-a-half suspension makes me scoff a bit at people who suggest he got off light.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
Not that I think he is reliable, but Skip Bayless says he has a good source that the blacked out name in the NCAA report on IU was Eric Gordon.

Before that blows up into anything ridiculous (not that this isn't already), IndyStar has it on record that it was DeAndre Thomas.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...S0601/802220490

Another factor that could work against IU: Two of the impermissible three-way phone calls in which Sampson participated -- unknowingly, he says -- involved recruiting players who ended up signing with the Hoosiers.

They are current forward DeAndre Thomas and Devin Ebanks, a high school senior and one of the nation's top recruits, who committed to IU last fall.