Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
you left the end of the story out, not surprisingly. here it is:

again, this was smith's first offense.

How about this one:

Another football player at a distinguished college program is also dealing with the consequences of a DUI. University of Tennessee freshman tight end Lee Smith was charged with DUI, and was subsequently dismissed from the team. Smith was arrested after he was found driving on the sidewalk along the university's campus. Coach Phillip Fulmer made the decision to dismiss Smith, telling the Sporting News that he had "embarrassed this great university and not presented [himself] in a manner that appropriately represents our program."

First offense. Do you really think if the 12th man on the team was the driver he would have received the same "penalty" as Smith?

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
How about this one:

Another football player at a distinguished college program is also dealing with the consequences of a DUI. University of Tennessee freshman tight end Lee Smith was charged with DUI, and was subsequently dismissed from the team. Smith was arrested after he was found driving on the sidewalk along the university's campus. Coach Phillip Fulmer made the decision to dismiss Smith, telling the Sporting News that he had "embarrassed this great university and not presented [himself] in a manner that appropriately represents our program."

First offense. Do you really think if the 12th man on the team was the driver he would have received the same "penalty" as Smith?

again, you've left out information regarding smith:

The 18-year-old Powell High School tight end is the focus of a Knox County Schools investigation into grade tampering and an inappropriate relationship with an assistant female principal.

again, this was the first time jamar smith had run afoul of anything.

listen, we can do this all day but you can save it. maybe you come up with someone who had an otherwise sterling record and was launched after a single dui incident. google is good that way.

you've made it clear what your stance is and i respect that. i don't agree, but that's cool.

How about once again you leave out KEY FACTS;

http://sports.propeller.com/story/2006/08/...mith-from-vols/

Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer boots Lee Smith from Vols

Sports – University of Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer today dismissed freshman signee Joseph Lee Smith after his arrest on drunken driving. The 18-year-old Powell High School tight end is the focus of a Knox County Schools investigation into grade tampering and an inappropriate relationship with an assistant female principal.

GRADE TAMPERING and INAPPROPRIATE RELATIONSHIP.

This seems like a 3rd strike your out, not a first time offender....

You have no clue about any of these players, you have no clue about Smith.

You have something against U of I because they suspended your father, and you think that it gives you some entitlement to say they should be handling things better. When in reality first time offenders almost never get kicked off the team.

:shrugs:

At least be so considerate to find us situations that are analogous instead of easily distinguishable.

(Edit)

Damn Dr you were quicker than me.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)

You have something against U of I because they suspended your father, and you think that it gives you some entitlement to say they should be handling things better. When in reality first time offenders almost never get kicked off the team.

At least be so considerate to find us situations that are analogous instead of easily distinguishable.

(Edit)

A focus of an investigation, not charged with anything. In fact, an inappropriate relationship with a teacher may be something where he's the victim. The other one the guy's first offense was underage drinking. Smith was drinking underage, was originally charged with a felony, and allowed to stay on the team. In fact, Weber went so far as to call his sitting out the remainder of last season a mutual decision. He couldn't even call that a suspension. So technically Smith has never even been suspended for his felony arrest. He's not suspended this year, its a redshirt hoping people's memories will fade. I just used my father as an example. I do hate the U of I, not because of that, in fact I hated them long before my dad even told me about his deal. He went back after a year, and he became a lawyer too.. I actually like Weber. I don't think a below average player would get the same punishment as Smith. If its 3 strikes you're out, underage drinking, that's 1, dui, that's 2, leaving the scene of an accident, that's 3.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)

(Edit)

I suppose you guys also had no problem with the way Iowa handled Pierre Pierce.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 09:35 PM)
I suppose you guys also had no problem with the way Iowa handled Pierre Pierce.

i think there's a big difference between beating women and dui. that's just me.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
i think there's a big difference between beating women and dui. that's just me.

From wiki

In 2002 Pierce was charged with third degree sexual abuse. At a parole hearing in 2005, he described the event, "It was a friend I knew."[1]

Pierce eventually pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of assault causing injury. Pierce sat out the 2002-2003 season, completed 200 hours of community service, a year of supervised probation, and counseling. Afterwards, since he had successfully completed the terms of his plea bargain, the charge was expunged from his record.

Since Pierce had no prior criminal record, he was held out of competition for one season, taking a redshirt year, but he was allowed to remain on the team. That decision sparked a number of campus protests by students, who wanted Pierce removed from the team. The protests also objected to what some felt was excessive involvement by school officials and Coach Steve Alford in mediating the criminal charges against Pierce. [2]

Misdemeanor, no jail time on the first offense, expunged from his record, doesn't even seem to be as serious as Smith's, using your criteria, and we all deserve a second chance. He got to redshirt, just like Jamar. At least with him there was a he said/she said leaving doubt. Smith was plastered and almost killed Carwell who was in the hospital for 4 days with a bad concussion. I believe he spent time in ICU, but drunk driving is fine, boys will be boys. Whether he was charged with it or not, Smith was quilty of more than just your run of the mill DUI, and Pierce made Alford look the fool for sticking up for him. Once again, if either of them were average or below average players for their schools, they both would have been long gone hours after these incidents occurred.

Edited by Dick Allen

So Heads I just got back from the ISU/Tech game, and it was a lot of fun. But I didn't realize how much talent ISU has everywhere but at the PG role. Hubalek is a monster inside, and the younger Haluska has got some game.

The Bryan Peterson kid seemed like a great shooter, and the best PG option, but didn't get as much P/T as I would have thought.

Wesley Johnson just couldn't stay out of foul trouble, same with Trevor Cook on our side.

Anyways, if that Hubalek kid could have just found a reliable PG option, he could be putting up monster numbers.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 12:54 AM)
Jamar had numerous drinking tickets prior to the arrest, so please don't make it seem like this was the first time he'd ever been in trouble.

What's the source on that?

By the way, this subject hasn't been discussed nearly enough in this thread.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 12:04 AM)
What's the source on that?

By the way, this subject hasn't been discussed nearly enough in this thread.

Jamar missed at least one game during the season due to "internal issues", and it's been common knowledge he got drinking tickets. I know 101 can back me up on this.

QUOTE(gbuk @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 06:56 AM)
I'm not a big fan of Tom Crean at all, never really have been since DWade left, because he hasn't proven he can do anything without a future NBA stud.

General question for you though, what are Crean's faults in coaching, in terms of gameplans and etc.? Because I really do refuse to believe with a backcourt like this one that they should be as erratic as they are.

Keeping this relatively short:

- Their gameplan versus teams who can play a good zone-defense is generally poor. They pass around the perimeter a lot and can't seem to penetrate the zone. Eventually they start chucking up threes and if you make it a game where Marquette has to rely on the three-ball, Marquette is probably going to lose.

- I'm not sure that Crean has used this group correctly. I'd say we're more athletic than 75% of the teams we play, but there are games where we don't push the tempo when we should. Marquette isn't a half-court offense team. They're better when they try to play in transition. Lately I think they've gotten better at this (trying to play a faster-paced game)but they're still not at where I think they should be at (in that regard).

- I don't think Crean is great at in-game adjustments, although I'm making that statement without a lot of confidence (mainly because I don't know what I could point to to prove my point).

And finally, this doesn't have to do with his coaching, but he hasn't been the greatest recruiter. He hasn't pulled in one five-star recruit and he hasn't pulled in very many four-stars, either. I think he's improving in this area, though, mainly because of Buzz Williams (new assistant coach).

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 04:47 AM)
Its funny you bring up Indiana. When I was visiting there all they wanted to talk about was basketball and the 1986 championship and how there is still one fish or something missing from the fountain.

They won in 1987.

Just sayin'...