Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 05:42 AM)
Really wish I didn't have to miss the Tenn-Memphis game, sounded like a fun one. Congrats to Tenn, I know Evan will hate this but I still think Memphis is the better team.

Oh really??? :fight

Haha, no it's all good. I respect your opinion, even if it's wrong, :P

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
Im some what nervous about OSU.

Even more nervous that these bastards at CBS wont change the damn game.

Every road game in conference should have the traveling teams fans nervous. Seems Buckeyes have gone cold here. Under 5 left.

Lots of booing from OSU fans, but lots of cheering from me.

Strange end to that game, just glad that Wisconsin some how escaped. Hopefully OSU plays better the rest of the year beats MSU, Indiana, and Purdue? (The announcers said they still play all 3, I dont know and i havent checked so if thats wrong blame CBS not me)

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)

Strange end to that game, just glad that Wisconsin some how escaped. Hopefully OSU plays better the rest of the year beats MSU, Indiana, and Purdue? (The announcers said they still play all 3, I dont know and i havent checked so if thats wrong blame CBS not me)

The Big Ten refs did Wisco a disservice by handing them that game, in the tourney they most likely lost that game to free throws. Pretty pathetic game by Butler but OSU still should have taken it.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 10:50 PM)

osu's schedule finishes up like this:

at indiana

at minnesota

vs. purdue

vs. michigan state

I have a hard time believing that OSU is anywhere near a tournament team. 8-6 in a weak Big Ten, with wins over none of the 4 teams ahead of you in the standings and the best non-conference wins over Syracuse and Florida (neither of which may make the tournament)...it's not good. Losses to Iowa and Michigan look pretty horrible too.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
Hopefully OSU plays better the rest of the year beats MSU, Indiana, and Purdue? (The announcers said they still play all 3, I dont know and i havent checked so if thats wrong blame CBS not me)

They play us next Saturday... should be a "fun" one.

QUOTE(gbuk @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 04:59 PM)
I have a hard time believing that OSU is anywhere near a tournament team. 8-6 in a weak Big Ten, with wins over none of the 4 teams ahead of you in the standings and the best non-conference wins over Syracuse and Florida (neither of which may make the tournament)...it's not good. Losses to Iowa and Michigan look pretty horrible too.

I dont think you will find too many people that disagree with you. Their only saving grace is the tough schedule, which doesnt do much. Losing 78 percent of their scoring obviously hurt the team. Next year the Buckeyes will be one of the teams to beat in the Big Ten however.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)
I dont think you will find too many people that disagree with you. Their only saving grace is the tough schedule, which doesnt do much. Losing 78 percent of their scoring obviously hurt the team. Next year the Buckeyes will be one of the teams to beat in the Big Ten however.

yeah, it is really difficult to replace what osu replaced and just come back strong. losing those guys, coupled with the team's point guard problems have made this team inherently flawed.

still, i don't think matta has done his best job with this group. this is the first matta team i've seen that has regressed as the season moved along.

The Big Ten refs did Wisco a disservice by handing them that game, in the tourney they most likely lost that game to free throws.

Ill take it, Wisconsin has won enough close games this year (or lost close ones) that its not that big of a deal in terms of being given a game. If anything the most important thing for Wisconsin is what seed they can manage to pull down.

Illinois State takes down Wright State and improves the Valley to 8-2 in the bracketbusters this year. Not bad.

And now the real fun starts for this league. The teams fighting for 2-3-4-5 in the conference standings all play 2 other of those teams this week to conclude the season. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
So Heads I just got back from the ISU/Tech game, and it was a lot of fun. But I didn't realize how much talent ISU has everywhere but at the PG role. Hubalek is a monster inside, and the younger Haluska has got some game.

The Bryan Peterson kid seemed like a great shooter, and the best PG option, but didn't get as much P/T as I would have thought.

Wesley Johnson just couldn't stay out of foul trouble, same with Trevor Cook on our side.

Anyways, if that Hubalek kid could have just found a reliable PG option, he could be putting up monster numbers.

You're kidding me. This is a pretty untalented team. Petersen and Haluska are both walkons.

Consensus here that while Petey is solid, Garrett has much more upside.

Hubalek...we're going to miss him.

Oh well, let's f*** up Kansas.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
Nah I'm not kidding. Guys like Peterson and Haluska could do some damage with a PG, and you have some athletes at the SF/PF positions.

You just have to find a PG somewhere that's worth a damn.

I've watched the Gophers play ISU twice in the past 2 years, and I'd agree with Heads. Although the one guy that tore us up in last year (Taylor?) really, really could shoot. He took over the game a year ago, not sure where he is now though, since I don't think he played in this years game (could be wrong though).

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
Nah I'm not kidding. Guys like Peterson and Haluska could do some damage with a PG, and you have some athletes at the SF/PF positions.

You just have to find a PG somewhere that's worth a damn.

We're waiting on Tyrone Appleton today. The games you saw out of Petey and Haluska were both's best for all year. You didn't see our best player do real well.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 12:38 AM)
I've watched the Gophers play ISU twice in the past 2 years, and I'd agree with Heads. Although the one guy that tore us up in last year (Taylor?) really, really could shoot. He took over the game a year ago, not sure where he is now though, since I don't think he played in this years game (could be wrong though).

Yeah, he got kicked off.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 07:35 PM)
Illinois State takes down Wright State and improves the Valley to 8-2 in the bracketbusters this year. Not bad.

And now the real fun starts for this league. The teams fighting for 2-3-4-5 in the conference standings all play 2 other of those teams this week to conclude the season. Looking forward to it.

As am I. It looks like the ISU vs. SIU game on March 1 could be the valley game of the year. Plus, I think those two teams will be the teams to beat in the Conference Tourney. I believe that both teams are better than Drake but the Valley refs do not favor the style of basketball that they play, by calling almost any contact a foul. Where as say Drake gets all the calls because they are not as athletic or physical and rely on the 3 too much. I don't like ISU's chance against the Salukis in Carbondale. But, Go Birds.

QUOTE(kjshoe04 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
As am I. It looks like the ISU vs. SIU game on March 1 could be the valley game of the year. Plus, I think those two teams will be the teams to beat in the Conference Tourney. I believe that both teams are better than Drake but the Valley refs do not favor the style of basketball that they play, by calling almost any contact a foul. Where as say Drake gets all the calls because they are not as athletic or physical and rely on the 3 too much. I don't like ISU's chance against the Salukis in Carbondale. But, Go Birds.

A lot depends on what happens with this Ruffin situation but I'm starting to like our chances, though this team will really show how far they've come tomorrow. Also, ISU is directly on the bubble and all the sudden, so are we, so that should make the game on Saturday even more exciting. It's absolutely crazy but we've went from completely dead to having an outside shot at an at large. If we win our next 4(not expecting but just playing the what if game) and lose in the championship game in the Lou, we might just sneak in. Crazyness.

I totally agree with Row on the fact that this team needs to come out and beat Bradley tomorrow night. Hopefully this team has finally grown up and can win the last road game of the season. Then i think we will handle ISU easily in Carbondale. If we do win every game coming up but then lose in the Valley final that leaves us at 20-13. But the key is the way we finished the season. That is the area that the selection committee looks at the hardest when choosing at-large teams. I still feel we need to win the MVC tourney to get in though. Overall these guys are having fun again and you could tell with the Nevada game. Everybody is stepping up and knows their role on the team. Specifically Tyrone Green. This guy has been SIU's player of the year in my opinion. He's gone from offensive liability to one of the main guys i trust to get the ball to the hoop and get points, and his defense speaks for itself. Can't wait to watch the game tomorrow night, get this road win and finish the season strong!

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
I totally agree with Row on the fact that this team needs to come out and beat Bradley tomorrow night. Hopefully this team has finally grown up and can win the last road game of the season. Then i think we will handle ISU easily in Carbondale. If we do win every game coming up but then lose in the Valley final that leaves us at 20-13. But the key is the way we finished the season. That is the area that the selection committee looks at the hardest when choosing at-large teams. I still feel we need to win the MVC tourney to get in though. Overall these guys are having fun again and you could tell with the Nevada game. Everybody is stepping up and knows their role on the team. Specifically Tyrone Green. This guy has been SIU's player of the year in my opinion. He's gone from offensive liability to one of the main guys i trust to get the ball to the hoop and get points, and his defense speaks for itself. Can't wait to watch the game tomorrow night, get this road win and finish the season strong!

I do think SIU will handle ISU in Carbondale. Even if I would rather it be the other way around, but I also think that if we beat Creighton and SIU wins their last two conference games and ISU (22-9) vs. SIU (20-12) part 3 happens in the Semi's of Arch Madness, and the winner of that game loses to Drake in the final(Even though I think both teams would beat Drake in the final), then I think that team will get an at-large. If that happens and neither of them gets in, then I would be disappointed in the selection committee. The Valley deserves at least two teams even if one is Southern. :P