Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- If big bucks are needed to fend off Oklahoma State and keep Bill Self as the Jayhawks' basketball coach, wealthy Kansas donors seem ready to reach for their wallet.

"If they're going to need to raise a lot of money, I'm sure there will be many people step forward," Dana Anderson, a businessman/developer and prominent Kansas donor, told The Associated Press. "Bill Self is a great individual and a great coach and he's perfect for Kansas."

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayo, D. Jordan, Joe Alexander going pro. Blake Griffin returning to school.

Still waiting on Hansbrough, Lawson, Chalmers, Arthur, Augustin, Rose, Westbrook, CDR, Chester Frazier, and Koufos.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 09:45 PM)

Still waiting on Hansbrough, Lawson, Chalmers, Arthur, Augustin, Rose, Westbrook, CDR, Chester Frazier, and Koufos.

Did you just say Chester Frazier???

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 04:45 AM)

koufos is supposed to announce next week. my guesses on those are hansbrough (stay), lawson (stay), chalmers (go), arthur (stay), augustin (go), rose (go), cdr (go), koufos (go).

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 07:58 AM)
koufos is supposed to announce next week. my guesses on those are hansbrough (stay), lawson (stay), chalmers (go), arthur (stay), augustin (go), rose (go), cdr (go), koufos (go).
I would love for you to be right, but Lawson is 95% gone in my opinion. Hansbrough about 50/50 as well as Ellington. I think they both will declare,but will not take agents and may return.

Arthur I think gone, Chalmers declare without taking an agent

Rose, Augustin,CDR,Koufos all gone I think.

Couple of notes...

-Yay -- James back for next year. One more year of decent-ness before Marquette hits rock-bottom.

-Nick Williams, our second best recruit for the 2008-2009 class, has been released of his LOI. Buzz is meeting with Taylor in the next couple days -- if playing time is big on Taylor's radar, that's great news for Marquette as Christopherson is also transferring. Taylor would get decent minutes next year and would be starting his sophomore year if he chose to stay, so... fingers are crossed.

Slick Rick Majerus drops some dead weight

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...B2?OpenDocument

"I talked with the players and said, 'Here's where I see your situation. I think you have a better opportunity to play somewhere else,'" Majerus said. "It's about playing time to a certain extent, about a style of play, about a change of the coaching staff. It's not about anything they could have done or I could have done. It's a numbers game. If I could have 17 scholarships, I'd keep all four. Again, they still wouldn't play."

whooooo thats cold

looks like clemson at illinois in the big ten/acc challenge next year.

edit: also rod alexander will not return to the team next year.

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
Here's the rest of the Big Ten/ACC:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3348226

I will use the E'twaun/East Chicago connection to get tickets for the Purdue/ Duke matchup for sure.

I probably will try to get to Ford Field to take in my Heels and Michigan State the next day as well. That would be a good couple of days for me, if I can pull it off.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 01:19 PM)
Travis Ford is the new coach at Ok State. I guess Boone Pickens money could not get the best coach out there.

Nope. C-Lo turned him down.

It looks like Kevin Love is bye-bye for sure from UCLA.

The North Carolina banquet is tonight, so Tyler, Ty, and Wayne may give a heads up on their status tonight (last year they announced at the banquet). Rumors have strengthened that each may stay, but who knows. Lawson seemed to be a sure bet to go pro, but with the crazy strong batch of point guards this year and his injury plagued finish, many are projecting him to be mid to LOW 1st round now, which may force him to stick around one more year.

In any case I wish them all well, but it sure would be nice to see them all come back.

I would love Rush on the Bulls. I think he's going to be a very very solid pro basketball player. In fact, aside from Rose/Beasley he is the guy who I think makes the best pro.

I also have on problem with Collison/Westbrook as I think they are tremendous defensive players and Westbrook is a great athlete. Both however, have holes in there offensive game.

No announcement at the UNC banquet, but from reports it seemed like all three acted like this was their last one. Nothing official, but most don't like the chances of another season in college for all 3,

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
Right now it seems...

Hansbrough, staying

Ellington, 50/50

Lawson, leaving

Team would be ok next year if Ellington stays with Hansbrough.

From what I have gathered from UNC. Lawson was 99% gone, but may be reconsidering with his injury and the top PG's leaving for the draft this year.

Ellington getting some heavy family type pressure to start getting paid, but he would like to stay and develop into a solid first round pick.

Hansbrough looked solid in coming back, but with his sweeping of the awards, and the possibility of Ty& Wayne going bye-bye he has become about 50/50 at this point to leave as well.

I expect all 3 to declare, but not to take agents and test the waters to see if they warrent enough interest to start making a living and forgo the rest of their care-free college days.

If Ellington & Hansbrough return like you hope, they will be a consensus #1 pre season.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)
From what I have gathered from UNC. Lawson was 99% gone, but may be reconsidering with his injury and the top PG's leaving for the draft this year.

Ellington getting some heavy family type pressure to start getting paid, but he would like to stay and develop into a solid first round pick.

Hansbrough looked solid in coming back, but with his sweeping of the awards, and the possibility of Ty& Wayne going bye-bye he has become about 50/50 at this point to leave as well.

I expect all 3 to declare, but not to take agents and test the waters to see if they warrent enough interest to start making a living and forgo the rest of their care-free college days.

If Ellington & Hansbrough return like you hope, they will be a consensus #1 pre season.

Have you heard any news on Thabeet? Last i head Calhoun said he was 60/40 towards coming back for one more year. The BET and the NCAAs really hurt his draft stock

I think Thabeet is almost 100% returning now.

I have also heard today that all three might be returning to UNC afterall. Roy has told Tyler it's his choice whether he leaves or not and he has his blessing. Roy told Wayne and Ty that they should return after hearing from NBA sources that they were late 1st round picks at the best and very likely could slide into the 2nd.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)
I think Thabeet is almost 100% returning now.

I have also heard today that all three might be returning to UNC afterall. Roy has told Tyler it's his choice whether he leaves or not and he has his blessing. Roy told Wayne and Ty that they should return after hearing from NBA sources that they were late 1st round picks at the best and very likely could slide into the 2nd.

Same things I have heard. It is wild that the lowest NBA prospect in Tyler now seems to be projected as a middle range first rounder, while the hot prospects in Wayne & Ty have fallen to late first round to 2nd round guys. Lots can change though that's why I think they all might declare and not take a agent to test the water. Again some family pressure has been rumored to be on Wayne, even though the NBA guys want him back in college working on aspects of his game.