Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
You're going to tell me that a guy who averaged 14, 7 and 2 blocks a game after basically not playing at all the previous season, isn't that good?

"Good" is relative - he's certainly "good" compared to me. He's not "good" compared to lottery picks. Heck, Shaun Pruitt averages 12 pts and 8 rbs in 4 less minutes a game compared to White. I don't think he'll be drafted at all, let alone the first day.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, well i'm glad you can predict the future so accurately. I'm heading to Vegas in a month, perhaps you should come with me.

Look, again, for 109th time, I'm not saying he's bad, i'm not saying Indiana's bad - I'm saying when did Indiana, a team who, as you just pointed out, was luckily to have been 10-6 last year and who didn't win a meangingful game on the road, suddenly becoming the team to beat? Names on paper, that's how. I'm not even saying that it isn't possible - i picked them to finish 3rd!

And the rest of the Big Ten didn't regress - Michigan State is better, Illinois is better, Purdue is better. Ohio State regressed from a team that just went to the NC game. Wisconsin will be solid as always. I don't buy the argument that they are the only team that got better and therefore he'll rule the world. It's freakin DJ White man. He's a good player, but nothing to write home about.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
"Good" is relative - he's certainly "good" compared to me. He's not "good" compared to lottery picks. Heck, Shaun Pruitt averages 12 pts and 8 rbs in 4 less minutes a game compared to White. I don't think he'll be drafted at all, let alone the first day.

And? Pruitt is a very good player. He also wasn't coming off of a serious injury like White was and I don't believe he's as talented. Pruitt is very good, imo he's not as good as White.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
Jenks,

You just arent projecting it correctly.

DJ White is going to come in and put up 20-10 this year.

Everyone else in the Big 10 is going to regress.

Hence why DJ White is the best big man in the Big 10 with out any question.

Ah yes, go to the extreme. I have clearly said everything that you've posted there. Nope, just replying to your response that IU is going to have trouble cause they're not tall in the front court. Not having a 6'10" guy clearly made UCLA's season a failure last year.

No you didnt say that.

But some one else said that Indiana has 2 lottery picks, and that DJ White is the best big man in the Big 10, and that no one can hold a candle to him.

And you speak of UCLA, what team did they lose to in the tournament.

What was the rebounding advantage?

Not to mention they play in the Pac 10, a completely different conference, with a completely different style.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 04:25 PM)
No you didnt say that.

But some one else said that Indiana has 2 lottery picks, and that DJ White is the best big man in the Big 10, and that no one can hold a candle to him.

And you speak of UCLA, what team did they lose to in the tournament.

What was the rebounding advantage?

Not to mention they play in the Pac 10, a completely different conference, with a completely different style.

They got get killed in the rebounding department, but that was in the final 4. Once again, never said that IU was the best team in the country but they are the best in the big 10 imo. To say they aren't because of height in the front court, is well... weird. But since we're talking about National Champions, the 05 Tar Heel squad didn't have anyone over 6'9" either. The point is that you don't need a tall front court to win games and championships.

Right, and where did I say anything to the contrary:

Im not saying that height means everything, I just often look at Indiana and wonder how are they going to match up against bigger Big 10 schools.

MSU also has 4 guys who are bigger than 6'10.

Im not saying that will mean Indiana cant win, I just dont think they are as sure of a bet as some people like to think.

Once again, this is why I dont think Indiana will win the Big 10.

Has nobody mentioned Jordan Crawford? He was 10-11 from the field and 6-6 behind the arc in the first game. He is fast, athletic, and he can shoot the lights out. Deandre Thomas will push people around down low, Bassett is going to improve, and Ratlif comes back next semester. As long as Stemler doesn't single handidly lose games for us this year, IU is going to destroy.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 04:36 PM)
They got get killed in the rebounding department, but that was in the final 4. Once again, never said that IU was the best team in the country but they are the best in the big 10 imo. To say they aren't because of height in the front court, is well... weird. But since we're talking about National Champions, the 05 Tar Heel squad didn't have anyone over 6'9" either. The point is that you don't need a tall front court to win games and championships.

Yeah but they had a guy that was 700 lbs.

Geez, I'm gone for a day and miss an Indiana love fest???

Heck, I just can't resist adding my two cents....

While it is nice that everyone is so high on my Hoosiers, I am not quite so convinced. I think this team will score points, but how well will they defend? I am not so concerned about height, but more depth on the front line. Having 6'8 guys doesn't scare me, its just that you have DJ and several role players. An injury or foul trouble can make things pretty dicey.

As far as DJ, I think it is fair to say that he is/will be a very good college player this year. I am no NBA scout, but I am not 100% convinced he is 1st round material either. But a guy doesn't have to be a great NBA prospect to help a college team win a lot of games.

I think this team has lots of potential, but there are so many new players, it is scary to me to predict how they will play together and ultimately succeed. Gordon is so good because he can do everything. He can score in so many ways. Jordan Crawford has been very impressive as well, but he's not going to be a scorer like he was the first exhibition. Jamarcus Ellis may just be their unsung hero. I can see him averaging 13 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists and a couple of steals. He can mix it up inside as well as go outside.

I'm not ready to annoint them Big Ten Champs, but I like their potential. All I can say is:

Let the games begin!

There is a lot of speculation that Dexter Strickland is really excited about teaming up with Dominic Cheek to form a great duo in college. Carolina is a early solid leader for Cheek and Strickland coming along would be an incredible get for Uncle Roy! On the heels of the Zeller signing things are looking good in blue heaven. :D

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 05:24 PM)
Has nobody mentioned Jordan Crawford? He was 10-11 from the field and 6-6 behind the arc in the first game. He is fast, athletic, and he can shoot the lights out. Deandre Thomas will push people around down low, Bassett is going to improve, and Ratlif comes back next semester. As long as Stemler doesn't single handidly lose games for us this year, IU is going to destroy.

I think Crawford and Gordon will both be lottery picks (I don't think Crawford will be one and done).

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 11:01 AM)
Juice do you have the information from CarolinaBlue.com from ClintJackson's post about Cheek and Strickland? I'm dying to know what it is.
Yes, I I get Clint's stuff from CarolinaBlue. He seems to think that 'Nova is still a player, but a distant second for Cheek, and that Strickland & Cheek are in close communication about hooking up at Carolina with Florida being the only other destination that fits both of their wishes and maybe Ohio State at this point, but Carolina is strong leader. I'm hopeing that Cheek commits early and then becomes our best force in getting Strickland. Marshall is already heavy on Cheek to commit early, so hopefully the domino effect will get going.

I posted this in the wrong forum, this should be in the recruiting thread so, I'll try to be better at posting in the appropriate spot form now on. Cheek has also had a growth spurt and is much closer to 6'7 then his listed height of 6'5 at the moment.