Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I'm not looking forward to an early season matchup with Davidson on Wednesday, that could be a doozy.
Davidson will be tough, I haven't checked if it is on the direct tv college hoops package, but I hope it is. Hopefully Ellington is a bit more consistent with his jumper, if so I think the Heels will be extremly tough to deal with. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Deon & Alex have developed, I've heard good things about both especially Deon. Hopefully they can take some of the heat of of big Tyler down on the blocks.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Davidson game is on ESPN thankfully at 6 central time. Will be interesting to see who starts between Deon and Alex. Deon got some great minutes on the Olympic qualifyer team this offseason and has slimmed down tremendously. Alex is still a huge defensive type guy, but has apparently lost his rigid almost robotic type of play from last season. To bad we can't combine the two into one player.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
Yay, Iowa State begins tonight with Winston-Salem State.

Unfortunately, our best player sprained his ankle.

But we did crack 10,000 season tickets. So yeah.

I'm just ready for real basketball.

Is Johnson out this weekend?

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 12:05 PM)
Is Johnson out this weekend?

He sprained his ankle last week. He *could* play tonight.

So, that means that our starting SG, SF and C have all been hurt with our original starting SG suspended.

Lineup tonight:

PG Petersen/Garrett

SG W. Johnson/Haluska

SF Clark/C. Johnson

PF Brackins

C Hubalek/Thompson

I listed the probable starters first. The only guy I'm sure of is Brackins - he's fun to watch.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)
Very interesting game in Omaha tonight, Depaul-Creighton. Both teams are very young but also very talented, should be a fun game.

If you have CLTV, tune in at 7.

I'm not familiar with their young players, just that they have 6 freshman and 3 transfers. Maybe an MVC fan is more familiar with them. Must be good as they're favored by 3 in Vegas.

As for us, I'm very excited to see our new guys, with Dar Tucker and Mac Koshwal in particular. Coach Wainwright has not named a starting 5, only that Draelon Burns will be in there for sure, but Mac is a captain and I'm sure should be starting. Dar might be also.

I'm worried about both another very slow start under Wainwright and the opponent we're opening with but am very excited to see what we have and how the new guys respond.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 07:24 PM)
I'm worried about both another very slow start under Wainwright and the opponent we're opening with but am very excited to see what we have and how the new guys respond.

(Some) people are calling Tucker the next Wade. Is he the five star that Wainright (sp) pulled in?

Not sure who is comparing Tucker to Wade. Tucker is a fine talent, but his game isn't like Wade's right now. DePaul has a couple awesome freshman though in Tucker and Koshwal, and when you combine that with Curry and a solid senior class, DePaul could have a real nice year, despite what the prognosticators say.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
(Some) people are calling Tucker the next Wade. Is he the five star that Wainright (sp) pulled in?

Well, we only played one exhibition game, but a couple of people that saw him said he was very exciting and impressive, with the potential to be the most exciting guard we've had since maybe Rod Strickland. I myself did not go and have only seen one game of his on-line (Michigan state playoff game which I believe went to overtime) along with the usual highlight packages. Obviously not a current Wade at this very moment, but maybe the potential is there. I'm holding off on any high expectations until I see the team play a few games.

One similarity I would see is that both probably drive to the basket better than they shoot. I'll go with a very poor man's Wade for now. :)

Oh, and as far as rankings, both Mac and Dar were generally top 50 with Mac being ranked higher.

Too bad with that mbakwe kid, and your new uniforms look pretty bad. I like the idea as I'm a fan of throwbacks, but not the execution. Should have at least gone with a more traditional cut and not that nike system of dress crappy cut (with nike owning converse). With your back-court, you guys will be just fine.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 01:24 PM)
If you have CLTV, tune in at 7.

I'm not familiar with their young players, just that they have 6 freshman and 3 transfers. Maybe an MVC fan is more familiar with them. Must be good as they're favored by 3 in Vegas.

As for us, I'm very excited to see our new guys, with Dar Tucker and Mac Koshwal in particular. Coach Wainwright has not named a starting 5, only that Draelon Burns will be in there for sure, but Mac is a captain and I'm sure should be starting. Dar might be also.

Yay for no cltv, I'll probably listen.

Watts and Dotzler are really their only two impact players from last year who are back(though Bahe and Hibma were decent role players, we'll see how they do with more pt this season). Watts is big and slow, not a very athletic player. That being said, he can shoot, that's pretty much what he does. He's' a 6'8" forward who likes to shoot 3's. Dotzler was fantastic his freshman year, got hurt late in the year though and wasn't the same last season. If healthy, he's one hell of a point guard, I'm interested to see how he turns out.

After that, it's pretty much all youngins. Their most touted recruit is 6'3 guard, P'Allen Stinnett, their fans are really excited about this guy. He's supposedly just a slasher, loves getting to the rim. After that, they have 6'8 forward Kenton Walker who at one point was another rivals 150 guy. Don't know a ton about him but like Stinnett, their fans seems to be in love with him.

CU is young but they're very talented. They're probably the most unpredictable team in the Valley this year but as alway they're very well coached, so obviously that's going to help.

Edited by Rowand44

After a horrid start by CU where they were down 15 or 17 at one point, they end up coming back and winning by a dozen. The 2nd half was all Stinnett, unbelievable performance by him in his first college game.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 03:54 AM)
Offer a horrid start by CU where they were down 15 or 17 at one point, they end up coming back and winning by a dozen. The 2nd half was all Stinnett, unbelievable performance by him in his first college game.

Terrific 2nd half by CU to win that. But I'm sitting here wondering, what is DePaul thinking going to Creighton to play their first game of the season? I wouldn't care if you're the number one team in the country, you don't do that.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 08:54 PM)
Offer a horrid start by CU where they were down 15 or 17 at one point, they end up coming back and winning by a dozen. The 2nd half was all Stinnett, unbelievable performance by him in his first college game.

Just a typical DePaul game.

Came out looking good, at one point with a 17-point lead in the first half, but then wainwright forgot to mention that they would press and move the ball around to shoot the 3. We had around 30 turnovers, which sealed our fate.

More of the same under wainwright. We had the better talent, evidently clear as the bigs overwhelmed them inside, but they had the superior coaching, much more poise, and home crowd pumping them up. Bad scheduling once again even after wainwright had vowed not to start another year against this type of team after the same thing happened last year losing to bradley on the road. I honestly expected a loss as we always start unprepared under wainwright and we have so many first-year players, but what kills me the most was the first-half tease. Mac had some nice moves at least. Dar tried to do too much.

Hopefully my De La Salle Meteors won't be as disappointing tommorrow. :)

The first was in a topic created by a mod. The mod asked everyone to turn on their inboxes, didn't give a reason. They do that every once in awhile so it didnt seem like a big deal. But then some one posted "Big, no HUGE news is coming soon guys". When I clicked in, the topic was locked. Then when I clicked out, the topic was gone.

Then a thread popped up "Big news coming soon". Didn't make it in there, already deleted.

Next minute there is a "Big news coming soon?" thread asking about what was up with the last two posts. Again deleted almost immediatly

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 04:45 AM)
The first was in a topic created by a mod. The mod asked everyone to turn on their inboxes, didn't give a reason. They do that every once in awhile so it didnt seem like a big deal. But then some one posted "Big, no HUGE news is coming soon guys". When I clicked in, the topic was locked. Then when I clicked out, the topic was gone.

Then a thread popped up "Big news coming soon". Didn't make it in there, already deleted.

Next minute there is a "Big news coming soon?" thread asking about what was up with the last two posts. Again deleted almost immediatly

It probably has to do with recruiting, and the likely commitment then of A. Johnson.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)
Terrific 2nd half by CU to win that. But I'm sitting here wondering, what is DePaul thinking going to Creighton to play their first game of the season? I wouldn't care if you're the number one team in the country, you don't do that.

Yeah, it was a terrible idea from the start. Most of us fans were against it because of how terribly we've started each year under wainwright losing to bradley and because we're so young this year. I think part of the problem is the circus, but still not the type of team we should start off with.

Well, at least our black uniforms looked nice. -_-