Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 02:45 AM)
DePaul barely beat northwestern. I need the headshake smiley back.

At least this is supposed to be a "down" year for DePaul. Marquette is struggling with teams that (probably) aren't a whole lot better than Northwestern.

I honestly fear Chaminade on Monday. Has the top seed ever lost its opening game at Maui? If not, the stage is set.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 02:15 AM)
I have come to the conclusion that Calipari has ruined Rose. Sad.

How's that? I was very impressed with the way Rose was being used. Two other comments: First, Michael Beasley is putting up absolutely insane statistics so far. He's close to averaging 30 and 20. Also, Ramar Smith, who shot 67 pct on FT last year, was 0-12 last night.

SIU beats NIU 88-68. Nice to see a lot of the young guys and bench players step up. Still it was against NIU, and giving up 68 to team that didn't score in the first 10 minutes in unacceptable. I expect CLo to give them hell because they completely gave up on D in the second half! Were not Floorburn U because we give up 68 to a s*** team! Still, it's a W and we need to DO WORK in the Tourney next week to meet up with USC and put this "RPI killer" of NIU away.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 03:56 AM)
How's that? I was very impressed with the way Rose was being used.

I said a few pages back that I thought Rose would finally be the one to come into Memphis and change their pull-up-and-shoot offense. He hasn't done that, he's just fit in. Rose has 11 turnovers and 4 assists(.36 a/to ratio) over his last few games with a lot of points in between. Calipari has certainly changed the unselfish, pure-point perception I had of Derrick.

Arizona vs. Virginia is on CSN for anyone who wants to watch.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
At least this is supposed to be a "down" year for DePaul. Marquette is struggling with teams that (probably) aren't a whole lot better than Northwestern.

I honestly fear Chaminade on Monday. Has the top seed ever lost its opening game at Maui? If not, the stage is set.

Chaminade beat Ralph Sampson's UVA. If I'm not mistaken, they were not just the top seed but they were ranked #1. Not sure about that, but it was a huge upset.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 09:35 PM)
SIU beats NIU 88-68. Nice to see a lot of the young guys and bench players step up. Still it was against NIU, and giving up 68 to team that didn't score in the first 10 minutes in unacceptable. I expect CLo to give them hell because they completely gave up on D in the second half! Were not Floorburn U because we give up 68 to a s*** team! Still, it's a W and we need to DO WORK in the Tourney next week to meet up with USC and put this "RPI killer" of NIU away.

Most of the points given up in the second half were given up with the starters on the bench. I think the score at the half(43-21) is a pretty good indication of what the starters were able to do. Even then, most of the starters were coming out late in the first half

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 08:35 AM)
Most of the points given up in the second half were given up with the starters on the bench. I think the score at the half(43-21) is a pretty good indication of what the starters were able to do. Even then, most of the starters were coming out late in the first half

True, but they were brought here to play shut down defense at all times.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
I wonder how long it will be before America realizes just how good Beasley is. He's got a chance to be a better Kevin Durant.

Didn't he have like 22 rebounds last game?

Observations...

1. Lance Stemler does a lot of little things well, but he cannot finish near the basket at all.

2. Jordan Crawford finishes at the basket very well, although some of the mid-range shots he made today he won't against big time competition.

3. Six players in double figures is nice

4. Jamarcus, not one of those six, finishes with 9 points, 11 rebounds and five assists. I am liking his contributions more every time I see him.

5. While DJ White does a lot of good things, he just has really bad feet and that makes me wonder if he will ever be able to play in the NBA. He doesn't run the floor well and his feet are slow. It's like he is carrying 20 extra pounds from the knees down. Watch his feet compared to DeAndre Thomas to see what I mean.

6. Armon Bassett is very good. He had a solid freshman season and was somewhat overshadowed by OSU's Mike Conley last year. This year he may get overshadowed by Eric Gordon, but do not underestimate his ability to push the tempo, hit shots and finish around the rim.

7. Let's get these first few games out of the way without any injuries and get to the next stretch which includes GA Tech, SIU and Kentucky. Then we will truly know what this team will be capable of.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
Observations...

5. While DJ White does a lot of good things, he just has really bad feet and that makes me wonder if he will ever be able to play in the NBA. He doesn't run the floor well and his feet are slow. It's like he is carrying 20 extra pounds from the knees down. Watch his feet compared to DeAndre Thomas to see what I mean.

What?! He's already a lock as a lottery pick!

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
4. Jamarcus, not one of those six, finishes with 9 points, 11 rebounds and five assists. I am liking his contributions more every time I see him.

I'll agree, I was impressed with Ellis today. I also think DeAndre looked better today, especially near the basket. Gordon's shot was off some in the first half, but he regained it in the second.

McCamey is going to be a good one, I wish Illinois would do what I suggested in June and start Frazier and McCamey at the guard spots. Yes neither is a true 2, but the motion offense looks much more fluid with 2 creators on the floor like that. It was nice to see them get a comeback win on the road though, and people have had trouble at Hawaii in the past. Defense has to be way better if Illinois wants to beat Arizona State tonight though. Also, Brock looks like a nice bench option, I think Alexander will be fine as the starting 3, Davis and Tisdale should have redshirted, and Randle HAS to stay out of foul trouble, but I see no reason to believe he's capable of doing that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:12 AM)
McCamey is going to be a good one, I wish Illinois would do what I suggested in June and start Frazier and McCamey at the guard spots. Yes neither is a true 2, but the motion offense looks much more fluid with 2 creators on the floor like that. It was nice to see them get a comeback win on the road though, and people have had trouble at Hawaii in the past. Defense has to be way better if Illinois wants to beat Arizona State tonight though. Also, Brock looks like a nice bench option, I think Alexander will be fine as the starting 3, Davis and Tisdale should have redshirted, and Randle HAS to stay out of foul trouble, but I see no reason to believe he's capable of doing that.

I'm really impressed with McCamey, definitely agree with you there. He can play.

Fun day for College Basketball fans today, games on tv basically all day.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
Yeah, I was impressed with what I heard (I listened online). What's the word on this Nikola Baran guy? He redshirted last year, but is starting this year. That seems like an odd combo to me, is he supposed to be good?

Thompson sounded solid. I knew he'd be a decent player eventually, but I didn't envision him as a starter his freshman year. I was surprised because I saw him his junior year in high school and I was not impressed.

I know, late response, but Baran sucks. He took it right at Lopez like 4 times and got stuff on each of them. He didn't do any better against DePaul either. What's worse is it seems like he thinks he can score, so he's going to keep trying it. If we're lucky, he might be the next Vince Scott. :huh: