Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 01:49 AM)
Saying he's not a really good person seems over the top -- maybe you know something about him I don't. He changed his mind about which University he wanted to attend. It's not a big deal -- other people do the same thing all the time. Athletes transfer and it's no big deal.

Sure, he should have told UI as soon as he knew he wasn't coming. But that's a pretty minor misdeed, I think. And even if he had, you know that people would still be seething over being jilted. The hatred is really just about choosing Indiana over Illinois.

Edit: Actually -- looking at the UI Scout board, there's really almost no posts wishing Gordon ill. I think I'll not look at IB and just be happy with that.

Everybody I know that has worked with or know EJ, say he is a very level headed good kid! He changed his mind about a school after there was a coaching change, numerous other guys did this as well, and it is commonplace in football. this in NO WAY makes him a bad person. It's just sour grapes and jealousy by those who besmerch his character because he chose IU. I can not stand IU, by the way and would have much prefered him to be at Illinois my self. He is a solid kid though.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 10:36 AM)
He changed his mind about a school after there was a coaching change, numerous other guys did this as well, and it is commonplace in football. this in NO WAY makes him a bad person.

I agree that the kid is probably a good guy, but that doesn't mean Illini fans should forgive him for f***ing over Illinois by waiting forever to announce he was de-committing. I don't see a problem if the fans want to root against the kid. That's fine as long as they're not wishing the kid to get hurt or something to that degree.

As for this happening a lot, now that's just not true. This happens a lot when the school that a player is committed to fires its coach. Very rarely do you see a guy who is committed for 11 months (or whatever it was) change his mind b/c a different school that was recruiting him changes their coach.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 01:49 AM)
Saying he's not a really good person seems over the top -- maybe you know something about him I don't. He changed his mind about which University he wanted to attend. It's not a big deal -- other people do the same thing all the time. Athletes transfer and it's no big deal.

Sure, he should have told UI as soon as he knew he wasn't coming. But that's a pretty minor misdeed, I think. And even if he had, you know that people would still be seething over being jilted. The hatred is really just about choosing Indiana over Illinois.

Not with me. The fact he chose Indiana is fine, but the fact he lied to the Illinois staff about it for several months and in part (admittedly, along with ignorance by the staff, but it's not ALL their fault) cost them a chance to replace Gordon, along with the fact that's he's just generally not a good dude, does make him a bad person. Doesn't mean I'm bitter towards him (I'm still mad at Bruce, he lost him and then didn't have a backup plan in case Gordon did leave, which seemed possible the whole time since he kept beating around the bush) or that he's not a great player, but he's still a bad person, although that's a seperate issue.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I changed my mind on choosing what college to go to many times. First it was DePaul, then Butler, and finally I chose Indiana. (Just like EJ) I would imagine the choice would be much much harder if I was the best basketball player in the country. Lay off him and stop being jealous because we're going to win it all this year.

Edit: I should add that you can't be mad at Eric for taking so long to tell Illinois because I'm sure there was still a chance in his mind that he was going to end up going to U of I. I probably screwed over several kids by not telling other schools that I was not going to accept their tuition scholarships (that other students would have gotten if I didn't accept it) but that doesn't make me a bad person because I honestly did not know where I wanted to go until April.

Edited by whitesoxin'

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
I changed my mind on choosing what college to go to many times. First it was DePaul, then Butler, and finally I chose Indiana. (Just like EJ) I would imagine the choice would be much much harder if I was the best basketball player in the country. Lay off him and stop being jealous because we're going to win it all this year.

Indiana isn't even the best team in the worst Big 10 I've ever seen, not sure how they plan on winning it all. Anyways, changing your mind is fine, but don't verbally commit to a basketball program as their crown jewel recruit, lie that you have no interest in Indiana for 7 months, then "re-open" your recruitment for 3 months when you actually, it turns out, verballed to Indiana without telling anybody at Illinois.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)
Indiana isn't even the best team in the worst Big 10 I've ever seen, not sure how they plan on winning it all. Anyways, changing your mind is fine, but don't verbally commit to a basketball program as their crown jewel recruit, lie that you have no interest in Indiana for 7 months, then "re-open" your recruitment for 3 months when you actually, it turns out, verballed to Indiana without telling anybody at Illinois.

And proceed to lie to the coaching staff throughout the entire process. I would have been pissed regardless, but that is what really got me about the whole situation. And lol at comparing changing your mind about what college to attend to an athlete who outright lied to coaches he had a relationship with for 4 years during the entire process. A far closer comparison would be a guy telling his girl they are going to get married on a certain date. Then cheating on her without her finding out. Then when she believes there is some evidence he lies to her face and on the eve of the wedding after all everything has been paid he breaks off the wedding and marries the girl he has been banging on the side who also has a history of cheating :). Is the fiance at fault for continually believing the guy? Yes, but that doesn't mean he isn't an asshole.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)

You think a team that loses to D-II teams is better than IU? We're on a 22 game home winning streak and play 19 at home this year. We were only the 4th team to win in Carbondale in the last 6 years. We have the best inside-outside duo arguably in America and great depth. I'm not going to argue with a bitter Illini fan though, I'll let our play do the talking.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
You think a team that loses to D-II teams is better than IU? We're on a 22 game home winning streak and play 19 at home this year. We were only the 4th team to win in Carbondale in the last 6 years. We have the best inside-outside duo arguably in America and great depth. I'm not going to argue with a bitter Illini fan though, I'll let our play do the talking.

so, indiana is better than michigan state because the spartans lost a preseason game to a d-2 team?

ok.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
so, indiana is better than michigan state because the spartans lost a preseason game to a d-2 team?

ok.

It doesn't matter if it's pre-season or not. If you're supposed to be the 8th best team in the country and win the Big Ten you should blow any D-II team out of the water no matter what. I find it shocking that someone can argue that.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
It doesn't matter if it's pre-season or not. If you're supposed to be the 8th best team in the country and win the Big Ten you should blow any D-II team out of the water no matter what. I find it shocking that someone can argue that.

well, then be shocked. exhibition games don't mean a damn thing. coaches aren't using their regular rotations, starters aren't playing normal minutes and the game itself means little or nothing. if you want to use that logic, how can you predict with a straight face that indiana will win it all when they got b****-slapped by xavier by 15.

indiana may or may not be better than michigan state. i'm not saying either way. but citing a preseason game as your argument is weak.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
well, then be shocked. exhibition games don't mean a damn thing. coaches aren't using their regular rotations, starters aren't playing normal minutes and the game itself means little or nothing. if you want to use that logic, how can you predict with a straight face that indiana will win it all when they got b****-slapped by xavier by 15.

indiana may or may not be better than michigan state. i'm not saying either way. but citing a preseason game as your argument is weak.

If we shoot 6.7% from behind the arc (like we did against Xavier) again against any decent D-I school we will have a pretty decent chance of losing. Xavier is a ranked team now. They were receiving a lot of votes before they beat us. With that said, I can predict with a face straighter than a ruler that we will win it all. I've seen all games except for the Xavier and Illinois St. (because I was at home and didn't have BTN) and when we play like we are capable of we are one of the best in the country.

By the way, Izzo kicked his team out of the locker room after their loss, try telling him the game itself means little or nothing. And besides, MSU's reserves should be way better than GVSU's best players.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)
"Arguably" being the key word. Oh, I forgot. White is going to be a lottery pick right? :headbang

He's gotten progressively better in every game this year. He put up 29 and 13 last night. I never said he'd be a lottery pick, and I don't think he will be. That being said, March ends up being a huge factor in the draft and if IU makes a run, he might sneak into the lottery. Bryce Drew shot his way into the lottery and I doubt if Florida didn't win a title that Noah, Horford, and Brewer are all drafted in the top 9. Also, DJ White was the Big Ten player of the week last week before his career best game last night and Eric Gordon was the National Player of the Week. There's not much to argue about in my opinion, but my opinion doesn't matter.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)
If we shoot 6.7% from behind the arc (like we did against Xavier) again against any decent D-I school we will have a pretty decent chance of losing. Xavier is a ranked team now. They were receiving a lot of votes before they beat us. With that said, I can predict with a face straighter than a ruler that we will win it all. I've seen all games except for the Xavier and Illinois St. (because I was at home and didn't have BTN) and when we play like we are capable of we are one of the best in the country.

By the way, Izzo kicked his team out of the locker room after their loss, try telling him the game itself means little or nothing. And besides, MSU's reserves should be way better than GVSU's best players.

it's great that you've seen all your games. i don't doubt it because there's no question you're a huge homer. nothing wrong with that, it is what it is.

and of course izzo was pissed. he should be. but there's a difference between it mattering on the night of the game to the coach and it mattering in the grand scheme of the season.

but fine. indiana will win it all. best inside-outside combination in the country. no one can touch those guys. got it.

I'd be the first to admit my bias. My excitement for this team is through the roof, and I don't think I should be criticized for it. And I never said they actually do have the best inside-outside combo, even though I believe they do (obviously I'm going to think that) and it is debatable for "experts". If I had to pick a second favorite team in the Big Ten it would be MSU without a doubt, but I just see them as a team that is always over-hyped and never lives up to expectations since the Mateen and Mo Pete days.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:43 AM)
I'd be the first to admit my bias. My excitement for this team is through the roof, and I don't think I should be criticized for it. And I never said they actually do have the best inside-outside combo, even though I believe they do (obviously I'm going to think that) and it is debatable for "experts". If I had to pick a second favorite team in the Big Ten it would be MSU without a doubt, but I just see them as a team that is always over-hyped and never lives up to expectations since the Mateen and Mo Pete days.

don't get me wrong. i'm not criticizing your enthusiasm. indiana clearly has a great team and some nice players. some perspective would be nice is all. from a basketball standpoint, there are more than a few teams that are much deeper and more well-rounded than indiana is, imo.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)
don't get me wrong. i'm not criticizing your enthusiasm. indiana clearly has a great team and some nice players. some perspective would be nice is all. from a basketball standpoint, there are more than a few teams that are much deeper and more well-rounded than indiana is, imo.

The big ten is pretty weak this year.