Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)
don't get me wrong. i'm not criticizing your enthusiasm. indiana clearly has a great team and some nice players. some perspective would be nice is all. from a basketball standpoint, there are more than a few teams that are much deeper and more well-rounded than indiana is, imo.

How's this for perspective?

Indiana has a game-changing guard who can take over a game like few other players. Indiana has an excellenct college big man in DJ White. They have a very good all-around player in small forward Jamarcus Ellis. Sophomore Armon Bassett is very talented, but still young and unproven in big time games. Freshman PG Jordan Crawford is talented, but as most freshman go, he'll be up and down. They have some solid role players in Lance Stemler, Mike White and DeAndre Thomas. They shoot well from 3pt range. They shoot FT's extremely well. They have a chance to be a very good team.

That said, they are unproven at this point. Their interior defense, while better since the Xavier fiasco, needs big time improvement. Their depth inside is shaky at the moment. Hopefully some of the younger players will develop and earn time in the rotation and White and Thomas will become and stay consistent. Their guards have a tendency to go into one-on-one mode that creates turnovers and bad shots. That will have to change. We have no idea what kind of contribution we will get from AJ Ratliff when back from his suspension. He could be a huge addition or a problem, not fitting into the current rotation and negatively affecting chemistry. They have the ability to defend on the perimiter, but lose focus at times, a sign of young players. It takes discipline to play defense throughout the entire shot clock. Rebounding is decent but needs to get better.

The ingredients are there if certain players improve and provide consistent play. But they are not there yet, regardless of what they have done so far. At this point they could become a Final Four team or finish fourth in the Big Ten. So you could see a 2-seed in the Big Dance or a 7-seed. Time will tell.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
I changed my mind on choosing what college to go to many times. First it was DePaul, then Butler, and finally I chose Indiana. (Just like EJ) I would imagine the choice would be much much harder if I was the best basketball player in the country. Lay off him and stop being jealous because we're going to win it all this year.

Edit: I should add that you can't be mad at Eric for taking so long to tell Illinois because I'm sure there was still a chance in his mind that he was going to end up going to U of I. I probably screwed over several kids by not telling other schools that I was not going to accept their tuition scholarships (that other students would have gotten if I didn't accept it) but that doesn't make me a bad person because I honestly did not know where I wanted to go until April.

Alright, post #805. Will bring this back up sometime in March when you are crying into your candy stripe pants.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 11:41 PM)
Alright, post #805. Will bring this back up sometime in March when you are crying into your candy stripe pants.

Please do.

No matter how our season ends up I can guarentee it will be better than the Illini who are going to be "Krushed" this year unless Jordan's son becomes his father.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 11:22 PM)
Please do.

No matter how our season ends up I can guarentee it will be better than the Illini who are going to be "Krushed" this year unless Jordan's son becomes his father.

really going out on a limb there are you?

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 11:22 PM)
Please do.

Oh, so now your goal is to be better than the Illini and not win the whole thing? Got it.

You have the mentality of a 10 year old.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:12 PM)
Poor Karl Malone. Louisiana Tech is the worst team I have ever seen. They have 13 points in the game with 11 minutes to go...

in the 2nd half.

Texas Tech 56-13 so far.

Ouch. I thought it was bad when we held them to like 13 points in the first half last season.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
Oh, so now your goal is to be better than the Illini and not win the whole thing? Got it.

You have the mentality of a 10 year old.

What? I never reverted my guarentee, I was just pointing out that even if we don't win it all (this being the point in time when you bring back my post in March/April) we will (most likely) still have gone further than your beloved Illini. Sorry for not explaning my tacit statement because I failed to recognize your ten year old intelligence.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
What? I never reverted my guarentee, I was just pointing out that even if we don't win it all (this being the point in time when you bring back my post in March/April) we will (most likely) still have gone further than your beloved Illini. Sorry for not explaning my tacit statement because I failed to recognize your ten year old intelligence.

I'd expect nothing less from a IU homer. Guaranteeing a championship, gotta love it.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 07:30 PM)
I'm sitting here baffled at how anyone could be predicting a NC for an Indiana team that was humbled on a neutral court against a mid-major. They may very well be contenders come March, but not? Certainly not.

Xavier is pretty good and IU played about as bad as they could. Now, I don't think they're going to win the NC but that reasoning has nothing to do with the loss to Xavier. That's not a bad loss at all.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 07:54 PM)
I'd expect nothing less from a IU homer. Guaranteeing a championship, gotta love it.

And I'd expect nothing less than criticism from a U of I homer whose username on a White Sox message board is related to Illinois basketball. If you had our team you would be saying the same thing.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
I changed my mind on choosing what college to go to many times. First it was DePaul, then Butler, and finally I chose Indiana. (Just like EJ) I would imagine the choice would be much much harder if I was the best basketball player in the country. Lay off him and stop being jealous because we're going to win it all this year.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
And I'd expect nothing less than criticism from a U of I homer whose username on a White Sox message board is related to Illinois basketball. If you had our team you would be saying the same thing.

Really?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 03:01 AM)
Xavier is pretty good and IU played about as bad as they could. Now, I don't think they're going to win the NC but that reasoning has nothing to do with the loss to Xavier. That's not a bad loss at all.

Xavier is decent, possibly good, not great. We'll see if they'll be able to beat more quality teams and not lose to teams like Miami Ohio, who is fairly average. Regardless, IU should not be losing to them by 15 in Chicago, especially if they're "going to win it all this year".

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 05:00 AM)

There are a lot of IU fans on this site, and every single one of them seems more rational than you.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
Xavier is decent, possibly good, not great. We'll see if they'll be able to beat more quality teams and not lose to teams like Miami Ohio, who is fairly average.

You should check some of the games Miami has had. Not that they are a great team, but they have taken great teams down to the wire pretty regularly.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 06:21 AM)
You should check some of the games Miami has had. Not that they are a great team, but they have taken great teams down to the wire pretty regularly.

Yeah, I'm familar with them. Their 3rd place Anaheim finish got my interest. Probably the best the MAC has to offer again. Kent State may be decent though.

Miami is real good at limiting possessions, they know what they're doing out there. I'm not going to argue on Xavier, if you're not sold on them yet then I can understand that, however, imo they're an extremely good team. I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)

I had a team in 05 much more talented than this IU team and never guaranteed a NC or a Final Four or anything of the sort. To do so is foolish. If you call "criticism" saying a team won't win the NC, then yes, I am criticizing IU for sure.

Edited by IlliniKrush