Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 12:54 AM)
If you can't tell by the caps/no caps, kind of a joke post, and Krush was there tonight, no?

There were two rows of people wearing orange in the nose bleeds, I have no idea if they were the Krush or not though. Didn't seem like anything special, opposing teams always attract about that many people coming and they were relatively quiet. The only time we actually really heard them was in the start of the game, but I had no idea what they were chanting. Needless to say, we chanted "sit down, shut up" back at them, and that was the end of that. They clapped at some other random points in time (obviously), and had maybe one or two defense chants, but we could hardly hear them.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 12:54 AM)
Furthermore, kind of hard to talk s*** as a Minnesota bball fan. First time in forever you are actually a better team than us, and you still haven't beat us in 18 (?) games. Enjoy this (whatever this is) while it lasts, I guess.

Technically (thanks to Clem!), the streak is longer than 18 and dates back to '93 I believe. Not sure how many games it is though.

If your post was a joke, then whatever. I don't read enough of the Illini posts in this thread (I tend to skip over them, since they're all so similar) to know whether or not you were being serious, and frankly, I was rather pissed at the result of tonights game, so I wasn't about to assume a post about how we got "krushed" was a joke.

Edited by Felix

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 05:29 AM)
Sampson, you're a jackass.

If this amounts to anything, can his ass. IU's better than this, and doesn't need this at all. This is pathetic.

Yeah, Jimbo wasn't kidding before when he talked about Sampson being dirty. IU dug themselves in a bit of a hole with him, and I always found his hiring curious.

i have to say it's really great watching mccamey come into his own with this team. although he didn't have a great shooting night last night he found other ways to contribute and almost had a triple-double (10 points, 10 assists, eight rebounds). he, legion, and smith should make a nice backcourt next year.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
As I said before, I'm very surprised at the hiring of Sampson. His name just isn't as attractive as the other names that we're rumored. Greenspan definitely wanted to make this his decision, and didn't really want to buy too much into what everyone else is saying.

I've got to say the things about his programs being dirty in the past scare me a lot. Indiana's never had that, and I don't want that to start with this hire. I trust Greenspan did his homework on this, and won't have any of that nonsense brought into Bloomington. He's 2 for 2 on big hires so far (with football: Hoeppner and women's basketball: Verysp).

Sampson appears to be a solid recruiter, and it'd be great to see him take some of his incoming recruits into Indiana next fall. Moving from a place where football comes first, to a place where basketball is all that matters can only help that. I hope Sampson comes in and begins recruiting the state like mad; there's no reason that we shouldn't be having those players in Indiana.

I can't say it's the guy I wanted; no one even saw this coming.

Well he f***ed us over. I'm done with Sampson and Greenspan needs to go as well, for making this hire.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 09:52 AM)
Who's kidding whom there?

:rolleyes

???

Look at the post you're quoting.

No one saw this coming = Sampson's name was not one ever heard in the mix of candidates for the IU job at the time. Him being hired over the other names was definitely a shock.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 09:57 AM)
???

Look at the post you're quoting.

No one saw this coming = Sampson's name was not one ever heard in the mix of candidates for the IU job at the time. Him being hired over the other names was definitely a shock.

I took it as they were surprised that the program got tarnished by Sampson.

My bad.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
i have to say it's really great watching mccamey come into his own with this team. although he didn't have a great shooting night last night he found other ways to contribute and almost had a triple-double (10 points, 10 assists, eight rebounds). he, legion, and smith should make a nice backcourt next year.

I agree...it's fun to see a player improve and he definitely has significantly both in terms of looking like he belongs on the court and conditioning. He's a better player than I thought he would be this year, and if he can improve his defense he really could an excellent college basketball player.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 11:41 PM)
I was actually quite impressed with Koufos on Sunday.

He'll do that, and then make you wonder what he was thinking the next game. Bar none, he needs at least one more season in college, for his own benefit, and of course the benefit of OSU having him next to Mullens.

Anyone going to Evanston tonight? Tickets are going off at 12 bucks a piece.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
He'll do that, and then make you wonder what he was thinking the next game. Bar none, he needs at least one more season in college, for his own benefit, and of course the benefit of OSU having him next to Mullens.

Anyone going to Evanston tonight? Tickets are going off at 12 bucks a piece.

mullens presence will definitely help koufos. then you can move koufos to power forward, start mullens up front and both guys are well-suited for those roles.

with that said, i do think that ohio state will have some struggles next year. they will still be painfully thin at point guard and i would not be confident with pj hill and a freshman (crater) handling that role. i do wonder if turner will play some point next year, because he does have that ability. i actually thought it would happen more this year, but butler has had a great senior year.

Really make no sense to me why such a top-class program would hire such a sleeze bag? Say what you will about Mike Davis and not being a great coach, he was clean, at least. So many good coaches out there and IU picked the worst possible one. Now, he is gonna leave their program in shambles when they possibly get post-season sanctions, losses of scholarships, Gordon will certainly go pro now. IU did this to themselves unfortunately.

Doesn't surprise me in the least. Most of my dislike for Indiana comes from them having Sampson as their head coach, and his handling of the Gordon situation. Regardless of how you feel about the program, they are one of the best historically and it's sad to see this happen. They should bring back Knight... :ph34r:

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
Doesn't surprise me in the least. Most of my dislike for Indiana comes from them having Sampson as their head coach, and his handling of the Gordon situation. Regardless of how you feel about the program, they are one of the best historically and it's sad to see this happen. They should bring back Knight... :ph34r:

He would just quit on them if they were not going to make the tournament (I'm tired of it, but I might coach again somewhere). Sampson will be gone, but Knight will be the LAST guy they consider. My dislike for Indiana comes from having Knight there, so toss both the assholes aside and start over IU. I would like to see Dakich the region boy get the gig, but I doubt that he will.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
Cmon IU, come take Self from us...please !!!!

Nope, you're stuck with him and his first weekend tourney losses!!!

:ph34r: :lol:

Should be interesting to see if Gordon's name comes up. It's probably more than one recruit, but it would be interesting.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)

Nope, you're stuck with him and his first weekend tourney losses!!!

:ph34r: :lol:

Should be interesting to see if Gordon's name comes up. It's probably more than one recruit, but it would be interesting.

he isn't mentioned in the report. mccamey is, though.

I don't want anybody that has coached in the Big 12 this season (Self, McDermott, Knight); this former Big 12 coach has f***ed us over enough.

-----

I can't believe he's still our coach.

I don't know if the reception tonight will be really anything noteworthy, as I guarantee people are stupid and not everyone will know of this yet.

However, this does not bode well. Though I believe none of what Sampson has done wrong has resulted in any of the players or anything we have on our current team, anything we do in March will be tainted. However, with this cloud over our heads, we're not going to be doing anything worthwhile anyways.

Indiana needs to fire Sampson and Greenspan ASAP; that is the only way to begin purging ourselves of this mess.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
I don't want anybody that has coached in the Big 12 this season (Self, McDermott, Knight); this former Big 12 coach has f***ed us over enough.

-----

I don't know if the reception tonight will be really anything noteworthy, as I guarantee people are stupid and not everyone will know of this yet.

However, this does not bode well. Though I believe none of what Sampson has done wrong has resulted in any of the players or anything we have on our current team, anything we do in March will be tainted. However, with this cloud over our heads, we're not going to be doing anything worthwhile anyways.

Indiana needs to fire Sampson and Greenspan ASAP; that is the only way to begin purging ourselves of this mess.

You'll hear Alford's name again.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)

-----

So you don't think he made illegal phone calls to players like Gordon or Crawford?

Only to the players who didn't come to IU?

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
So you don't think he made illegal phone calls to players like Gordon or Crawford?

Only to the players who didn't come to IU?

Read the report; no current players are listed.

The names mentioned in the report are the following:

Devin Ebanks’ mother Yvonne Jackson, Derek Elston, Yancey Gates (Cincinnati), Evan Turner (Ohio State), Demetri McCamey (Illinois), Markieff Morris (Kansas), Marcus Morris (Kansas), Kenny Frease (Xavier), Dejuan Blair (Pittsburgh), Bud Mackey, Phillip Jurick (Tennessee), Robbie Hummel (Purdue), Scott Martin (Purdue) and William Buford (Ohio State).

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
Read the report; no current players are listed.

The names mentioned in the report are the following:

Devin Ebanks’ mother Yvonne Jackson, Derek Elston, Yancey Gates (Cincinnati), Evan Turner (Ohio State), Demetri McCamey (Illinois), Markieff Morris (Kansas), Marcus Morris (Kansas), Kenny Frease (Xavier), Dejuan Blair (Pittsburgh), Bud Mackey, Phillip Jurick (Tennessee), Robbie Hummel (Purdue), Scott Martin (Purdue) and William Buford (Ohio State).

Just like Sammy Sosa's name being left off the Mitchell Report.

Just because the name isn't in the report doesn't mean things are squeaky clean.

Sorry but IMO anything associated with Sampson is tainted.