Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 10:13 AM)
Really? I would of been pretty disappointed if SIU lost to King last night in an exhibition game.

Let me clarify.... I'd have been disappointed to if it were IU (or Evansville - they won theirs by 37). But to me it's not something to get worked up over or something that will have any effect on how good a team they can be. Anytime you are playing a lot of young guys in an exhibition game, you never know what you are going to get.

I also wouldn't consider it fodder for opposing fanbases to get too worked up over. Especially in basketball, where getting upset isn't as big a deal with so many games in a season.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 03:12 PM)
Well they already beat USU this exhibition season, good luck.

74-63 win, which I suppose isn't too bad. We played without Jiri Hubalek (starting C) and Rahshon Clark (starting SF), and, again, without the guy that was projected to be our starting SG heading into this year.

Wesley Johnson is a straight up stud. 18 points, 10 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 assists, 1 block, 0 turnovers. Brackins dropped in 17.

I hate Alex Thompson.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
I know it's early and the games don't matter, but Indiana is far and away the best team I've seen during these exhibition games on the Big 10 Network.

I agree -- I think they'll easily win the Big Ten and they're my pick to win the NCAA tournament as well. They have at least 4 legit NBA players on the roster and an excellent coach. Eric Gordon chose well.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 08:36 PM)
Oh god.

What does that mean? Maybe Sampson is sleazy, but it's hard to deny he can coach college basketball. Maybe "great" was the wrong word -- I wouldn't want him coaching a team I liked but he clearly is good at winning games. And maybe I'm overrating IU's talent, but Gordon, Crawford, White, and Ellis are all talented enough to play in the League IMO. Gordon has a legit shot at winning a national title this year at IU. Given that he would not have had that at Illinois, I don't think it's a stretch to say he made a good choice for his career.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 03:58 AM)
What does that mean? Maybe Sampson is sleazy, but it's hard to deny he can coach college basketball. Maybe "great" was the wrong word -- I wouldn't want him coaching a team I liked but he clearly is good at winning games. And maybe I'm overrating IU's talent, but Gordon, Crawford, White, and Ellis are all talented enough to play in the League IMO. Gordon has a legit shot at winning a national title this year at IU. Given that he would not have had that at Illinois, I don't think it's a stretch to say he made a good choice for his career.

It meant it was a pathetic attempt at stealth trolling.

Ok, first 20 minutes of seeing Derrick Rose, and I honestly feel like there's not a better player in college basketball. Can't be. He's absolutely amazing. Great size, great passing, great defense and hustle, no showboating. If he can shoot at all then look out college basketball.

This years crop of frosh guards is absolutely amazing with Rose, Mayo, and Gordon leading the way.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 12:58 AM)
Ok, first 20 minutes of seeing Derrick Rose, and I honestly feel like there's not a better player in college basketball. Can't be. He's absolutely amazing. Great size, great passing, great defense and hustle, no showboating. If he can shoot at all then look out college basketball.

This years crop of frosh guards is absolutely amazing with Rose, Mayo, and Gordon leading the way.

Rose can't shoot a lick though, so he'll struggle when the opposition slows the pace down. I've always thought he's behind Gordon and Mayo.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 07:00 PM)
Rose can't shoot a lick though, so he'll struggle when the opposition slows the pace down. I've always thought he's behind Gordon and Mayo.

Ha. I saw Derrick Rose play multiple times live in high school. He is a good shooter. He doesn't have to score and can be a great floor general but if he wants to turn it on, he will. When exhibition is done and the real games start, he'll turn it on.