Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)
Read the report; no current players are listed.

The names mentioned in the report are the following:

Devin Ebanks’ mother Yvonne Jackson, Derek Elston, Yancey Gates (Cincinnati), Evan Turner (Ohio State), Demetri McCamey (Illinois), Markieff Morris (Kansas), Marcus Morris (Kansas), Kenny Frease (Xavier), Dejuan Blair (Pittsburgh), Bud Mackey, Phillip Jurick (Tennessee), Robbie Hummel (Purdue), Scott Martin (Purdue) and William Buford (Ohio State).

this is correct. however, there are a fair amount of names blacked out of the report. not sure of the reasoning behind that.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 08:44 PM)
Why the blacked out names?

Also, I'm sure it says somewhere in there, but who provided this information? The players listed?

i don't know why names were blacked out and i've seen no explanation.

in terms of where the info came from, i'd bet phone records, discussions with the players in questions, interviews with people close to the program, etc. i also wonder if senderoff decided to return the "thrown under the bus" favor.

I'll gladly take Self. Please bring your ass over here. The man can recruit the s*** out of the country. He's better than anything I think IU will end up with. Unfortunately, if I was a betting man, Alford would be the next IU coach. The appeasement of the Knight backing alumni as well as Alford bringing some of the old Indiana tradition makes him seem like a good fit to bring IU back to what was. It's not the right fit, imo, but it appears to be on the surface. Too bad. Greenspan really f'd this one up.

Well Sampson didn't cheat to get Gordon, I can say that. He might be the only guy Sampson DIDN'T cheat to get, but part of my biterness being at Weber over the Gordon thing is Sampson didn't cheat, he just beat Bruce to the punch, at least in that case. I had heard the McCamey stuff, but I am surprised to see it actually in the list. I feel bad for the IU fans (for the most part), but I can't feel bad for the school at all. Everybody knew Sampson's reputation, but they hired him anyways due to desperation I guess. The word that's been going on for a long time was that IU knew about this and wouldn't fire Sampson until after the season though, so I'm not surprised he hasn't gone anywhere yet. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if he's fired at anytime in the next few months either.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Well Sampson didn't cheat to get Gordon, I can say that. He might be the only guy Sampson DIDN'T cheat to get, but part of my biterness being at Weber over the Gordon thing is Sampson didn't cheat, he just beat Bruce to the punch, at least in that case. I had heard the McCamey stuff, but I am surprised to see it actually in the list. I feel bad for the IU fans (for the most part), but I can't feel bad for the school at all. Everybody knew Sampson's reputation, but they hired him anyways due to desperation I guess. The word that's been going on for a long time was that IU knew about this and wouldn't fire Sampson until after the season though, so I'm not surprised he hasn't gone anywhere yet. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if he's fired at anytime in the next few months either.

Calling Jeff Meyer... misinformed poster on line 1.

Ah, Sampscum. Kharma's a b****.

And the senior Gordon, another example of the caliber of this families honor and pride:

Eric Gordon Sr., father of IU freshman standout Eric Gordon: “For the normal coach, three-way phone calls are not a major issue. Now the NCAA says they have an issue with that. If they have an issue with that, that’s not anything that’s going to change my opinion of coach Sampson or the university. Depending on how the university reacts or whatever the NCAA chooses to do in June, I’m not terribly concerned, other than I’m concerned for the kids and concerned for the coaches because this is about the kids.”

When told specifically of today’s new information, that the NCAA alleges Sampson lied and (assistant coach) Jeff Meyer’s phone calls broke NCAA rules not associated with Sampson’s previous penalties, Eric Gordon Sr. said: “It doesn’t change my thoughts. I’ve been involved with the recruiting process of student athletes, specifically my son (Eric). I know that the rules are in place, but I know that coaches do all kinds of things to make sure they get in front of the student athletes. I don’t think the Indiana University coaching staff is any different than any other university. I just don’t think they’re any different than any other school.”

Translation: "What do we care? My kid's a lottery pick and we'll be gone after this year. And there are sleazy people everywhere. I'm ok with sleaze."

Edit: Oops, forgot to cite the source: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...TTER03/80213045

Edited by Jenksismybitch

I am also curious about what the reception from the fans will be tonight. Personally, I think the fitting response from IU fans would be total silence when Sampson is announced (IF they announce him). I'd rather not see boos, but dead silence would send the proper message.

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
He would just quit on them if they were not going to make the tournament (I'm tired of it, but I might coach again somewhere). Sampson will be gone, but Knight will be the LAST guy they consider. My dislike for Indiana comes from having Knight there, so toss both the assholes aside and start over IU. I would like to see Dakich the region boy get the gig, but I doubt that he will.

I was more or less kidding. I personally still think Knight is a great coach, but Indiana would never bring back Knight.

Edited by dasox24

I got to thinking more about the whole Samscum thing.

1) IU's next coach should be Steve Lavin if they can get him away from ESPN. He was a good coach and a good recruiter who just happened to coach at UCLA with ridiculous expectations. He started in the Big Ten so he'd be a great addition.

2) If you step back and think about it, the NCAA is so jacked up. As much as I love the fact that Samscum is getting what he deserved for being a douche-bag, the fact is he made some stupid phone calls. Obviously the being unethical and lying is horrible and he should be fired, but this all came about over some phone calls. Ok, fair enough. How long has the Reggie Bush thing been going on? They pushed Samscums sanctions in like 6 months. Reggie Bush got tons of cash, probably the biggest no-no possible, and still nothing on that. Am I the only one that see's a problem with that?

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 05:05 PM)
2) If you step back and think about it, the NCAA is so jacked up. As much as I love the fact that Samscum is getting what he deserved for being a douche-bag, the fact is he made some stupid phone calls. Obviously the being unethical and lying is horrible and he should be fired, but this all came about over some phone calls. Ok, fair enough. How long has the Reggie Bush thing been going on? They pushed Samscums sanctions in like 6 months. Reggie Bush got tons of cash, probably the biggest no-no possible, and still nothing on that. Am I the only one that see's a problem with that?

FWIW, the Reggie Bush matter is in the legal system black hole right now, and it's actually producing some odd stuff, like Bush's chief accuser walking out of the courtroom yesterday because there was an armed man at the deposition from Bush's side.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
I got to thinking more about the whole Samscum thing.

1) IU's next coach should be Steve Lavin if they can get him away from ESPN. He was a good coach and a good recruiter who just happened to coach at UCLA with ridiculous expectations. He started in the Big Ten so he'd be a great addition.

The reason Sampson and IU are in so much trouble over this is because Sampson had already gotten in trouble for the same thing. Of course a repeat offender is going to get in a lot of trouble when it is clear that their pattern of behavior is to blatantly ignore and break the rules that the NCAA sets forth. And the NCAA is even more upset and I would be as well that Sampson basically completely ignored the sanctions that they set up for him based on his last violation.

I think Crawford is 5 right?

He gets really up and down for Indiana, he cant just quit on a play when it doesnt go as planned. This isnt the first time ive seen this either.

(I havent noticed anything negative towards Sampson during the game in terms of Indiana fans. Im not sure if they showed his introduction or not, but my guess is no booing or the like)

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 08:04 PM)
:hands that win to Illinois:

Gordon got you guys on a bank shot and tonight Butch just got one for Wisconsin.

Wow.

That was awesome.

Edit: DJ White has really stepped up his game this year. I didn't watch all of the 2nd half, was there a reason IU went away from him?

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
How was the fan's reaction to Sampson?

There were some boos, but nothing major. I think it's just because people are stupid, and not everyone at the game knew about it yet (if that's even possible). Saturday will be worse, if he's still the coach.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
Why the blacked out names?

Also, I'm sure it says somewhere in there, but who provided this information? The players listed?

I'd have to assume that the names blacked out are those of current student-athletes at IU. The notice of allegations was provided by Indiana University, so I assume that while it's not an issue for non-students, they have a right to protect their own students by not disclosing their names on the report.

Oh, and if anyone would like to read it, here it is:

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/pdf/080213...allegations.pdf

Edited by dasox24