Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
How was the fan's reaction to Sampson?

It was about 50-50 boos and cheers.

As for the game...I'm very sad right now. I know how Illinois fans felt last week after Butch banked in that three.

I'm also trying really hard not to grumble about the refs. I guess that's just a natural reaction after losing a game, as well as the easiest one.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 09:08 PM)
whitesoxfan99,

I wasnt sure about that and didnt really look into it (thats why I ended with a "?"), thanks for the information and based on that id say that it almost has to be a current player.

That is my thinking as well. Wouldn't make sense to cross out some HS players names while leaving others.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
SIU 2.3 secs away from knocking of Drake at the Arena. Of course Matt Shaw can't make a free throw to extend it to 4. SIU up 3. Justin should storm the floor if we win. Ha

LOL, the one man courtstorming of 2008

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 03:55 AM)
Interesting thought on the blacked out names.

The other possibility could be a player who is still in HS?

I dont know exactly.

They used Ebanks name, and he's still in High School, so I'm guessing players at IU. Or maybe Gordon if they didn't want to cause a big stir up.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 10:30 PM)

YES! Thank you god. I actually think we're better off at least for this season without Sampson. I never thought he was a good X's and O's coach. This may be the best thing to happen to IU. Not even joking. If we can snag someone like Sean Miller, a coach who actually knows how to coach, we might look back at this day (or Friday, or whenever Sampson is fired) as a good day.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 10:30 PM)

That is what I heard last night, but not from a source I trust enough to have said it. We'll see, but there is a lot of smoke on that story.

IU fans: If he's fired, what names will come up besides the obvious like Matta and Sean Miller?

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
That is what I heard last night, but not from a source I trust enough to have said it. We'll see, but there is a lot of smoke on that story.

IU fans: If he's fired, what names will come up besides the obvious like Matta and Sean Miller?

Matta isn't a choice. Alford will of course come up. Lon Krueger (UNLV) perhaps considering his Midwest ties...although it was at Illinois so that doesn't count. I pray Sean Miller wants the job.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 09:00 PM)
It was about 50-50 boos and cheers.

As for the game...I'm very sad right now. I know how Illinois fans felt last week after Butch banked in that three.

I'm also trying really hard not to grumble about the refs. I guess that's just a natural reaction after losing a game, as well as the easiest one.

Grumble about the refs?? Free throw attempts were 20 to 5 Indiana, Eric Gordon alone had twice as many free throw attempts as the entire Wisconsin team, who shot their fewest free throws in 2 years. Yeah that play late was a travel, but overall the refs helped IU more than hurt them.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
Grumble about the refs?? Free throw attempts were 20 to 5 Indiana, Eric Gordon alone had twice as many free throw attempts as the entire Wisconsin team, who shot their fewest free throws in 2 years. Yeah that play late was a travel, but overall the refs helped IU more than hurt them.

I'm not grumbling, but I thought there were a couple missed calls on DJ towards the end. One where he was shoved from behind under the basket. I thought that was missed, but the refs didn't lose the game for IU. This was a great game. Butch banks in a 3, I still can't believe he made that shot. And how IU was absolutely deflated after that, that they inbounded the ball within a couple seconds to Ellis, instead of Gordon.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)

Did you even watch the game? Wisconsin sat outside and shot threes all night long. Gordon drove to the basket constantly and got fouled many, but not all times.

Looking at the FT attemps is an assinine way to determine how the game was called. That said, while I did not like several calls that were made, my glasses were colored so I am not going to make like an Illini fan and whine about the officiating. But if you are going to make statements, how about trying to make sure they have some semblence of truth.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 10:56 PM)
Did you even watch the game? Wisconsin sat outside and shot threes all night long. Gordon drove to the basket constantly and got fouled many, but not all times.

Looking at the FT attemps is an assinine way to determine how the game was called. That said, while I did not like several calls that were made, my glasses were colored so I am not going to make like an Illini fan and whine about the officiating. But if you are going to make statements, how about trying to make sure they have some semblence of truth.

Haha, wow somebody is having a rough day. Yes I did watch the game, and if you think that a team can get shafted by the refs with a 15 shot advantage at the line, your stupid. End of story. Free throw attempts are indeed a poor way to determine officiating often times, but when it's a 20 to 5 difference, that argument goes out the window. I guess I'll let it slide though, rough day for the fanbase which can lead to silly commentary.

And true enough greasy, I think Greenspan deserves the ax just as much for hiring somebody like Sampson as Sampson does for being who he is and doing what he does.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
I got to thinking more about the whole Samscum thing.

2) If you step back and think about it, the NCAA is so jacked up. As much as I love the fact that Samscum is getting what he deserved for being a douche-bag, the fact is he made some stupid phone calls. Obviously the being unethical and lying is horrible and he should be fired, but this all came about over some phone calls. Ok, fair enough. How long has the Reggie Bush thing been going on? They pushed Samscums sanctions in like 6 months. Reggie Bush got tons of cash, probably the biggest no-no possible, and still nothing on that. Am I the only one that see's a problem with that?

That is the most intelligent thing I have seen you post in a long time.

The thing that pisses me off most about this whole thing (other than the supposed lying/misleading/failure to cooperate) is that all of this is just stupid. If Sampson had half a brain he would have been doing what every other college coach learned they could get away with. Phone calls were regulated and restricted. Text messages, until last August, were not. All the idiot had to do is freakin text these guys instead. This whole mess is because he was too stupid to figure out how to communicate "within" the rules.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 11:00 PM)
That is the most intelligent thing I have seen you post in a long time.

The thing that pisses me off most about this whole thing (other than the supposed lying/misleading/failure to cooperate) is that all of this is just stupid. If Sampson had half a brain he would have been doing what every other college coach learned they could get away with. Phone calls were regulated and restricted. Text messages, until last August, were not. All the idiot had to do is freakin text these guys instead. This whole mess is because he was too stupid to figure out how to communicate "within" the rules.

Now this is actually accurate. To make it as a college coach at a high level, you have to cheat. Everybody does it, and people who deny that everybody does it simply have no knowledge of the system and have their heads in the sand to boot. But to actually get caught multiple times at the level Sampson has, you have to not only be cheating, you have to be INCREDIBLY stupid. The NCAA has no interest in catching cheaters, or they'd spend every moment of every day catching them, so to be caught, you have to be incredibly dumb.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 10:58 PM)
Haha, wow somebody is having a rough day. Yes I did watch the game, and if you think that a team can get shafted by the refs with a 15 shot advantage at the line, your stupid. End of story. Free throw attempts are indeed a poor way to determine officiating often times, but when it's a 20 to 5 difference, that argument goes out the window. I guess I'll let it slide though, rough day for the fanbase which can lead to silly commentary.

And true enough greasy, I think Greenspan deserves the ax just as much for hiring somebody like Sampson as Sampson does for being who he is and doing what he does.

That's bulls***. This argument has nothing to do with my day at all. You say it is a poor way to determine, but then you turn around and decide it is a good way if the numbers reflect your point. Go watch that game again. The # of FT attempts had EVERYTHING to do with the way the teams played, not the officiating. In fact, Wisconsin was only whistled for two more fouls than IU.

Somedays you have good things to say. Other times you just spew out s*** that makes no sense at all. Be objective and not argumentative and tell me I'm wrong. You can't. 16-14 fouls does support your argument one iota.

Edited by Rex Hudler