Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 08:45 PM)
The point here is that Indiana University did not do anything wrong.

Yeah, but whether you like it or not, if the coach messes up, the school is gonna take the fall with him. As an employee of Indiana University, Sampson is representing the university with his actions. They're not just gonna be able to fire him and lessen the penalty that much. It may be less, but it will still hurt the program.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
That moronic thug is the reason Lawson has been out. I'm hoping he gets suspended for the year.

I agree that he's a moronic thug, but it's not like he grabbed the ball intending to hurt Lawson. He was fighting for a loose ball and Lawson's leg got caught. I also agree that he should be suspended. The kids an embarrassment, there's no reason Vaughn should be playing behind him.

I really hope Ham is gone after this year as well, but it won't happen.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 10:27 PM)
Unfortunately they made the first wrong move the day they hired Sampson.

His Cheating ways at OU seemed to be treated as "no big deal" when he left them behind to go to Indiana.

Now IU will have to pay the price.

Of Course the Coach, and some of his coaching staff is the problem... but

The President, Athletic Director, and Board of Trustees have to be held accountable here.

Well yes, but in the eyes of the NCAA they did nothing wrong. People should lose their jobs over this, but from the NCAA's perspective the university didn't break any rules.

To sum it up best; respondeat superior.

The employer is accountable (liable) for the wrong doings (torts) of the employee in the course of their employment.

At the end of the day, Indiana is responsible, they just cant pass the buck off because at the end of the day they were responsible for their program. They were responsible for watching the coach, they were responsible for making sure that rules were not broken, and when those rules were broken, it is Indiana's failure to stop them just as much as Sampson's actually doing them.

Yes it is unfortunate that most Indiana fans want Sampson gone and did not approve of the signing to begin with. They are the ones who did nothing wrong, they never wanted Sampson in the first place, and now they may suffer from his actions.

But the University is responsible for its employees, thats life. Sampson was a high risk hire, everyone knew this, everyone knew this was one possible scenario. I just think most people felt Sampson couldnt possibly be so stupid as to commit any violations, that he would run the cleanest program atleast until probation was lifted.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
Yeah, but whether you like it or not, if the coach messes up, the school is gonna take the fall with him. As an employee of Indiana University, Sampson is representing the university with his actions. They're not just gonna be able to fire him and lessen the penalty that much. It may be less, but it will still hurt the program.

Of course they will receive some punishment, but some have suggested it's going to major. I disagree with that. IU showed great initiative in seeking out the violations, instilling their own punishments on Sampson, and then bringing their findings to the attention of the NCAA. It's not like the NCAA caught them in a big scandal. If you look at the rare cases in which teams are banned from post season play, they are mainly paying of athletes in some way connected to the athletic department or alumni. IU's situation involved Sampson and an assistant or 2, and that's it. Like I said, I expect scholarship losses, probation, and a fine. Post-season ban is highly unlikely, if history is any judge.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 01:09 AM)
Well yes, but in the eyes of the NCAA they did nothing wrong. People should lose their jobs over this, but from the NCAA's perspective the university didn't break any rules.

Sorry but that is simply not true. If that is the case than no schools ever do anything wrong and only the coaches should be punished.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 01:22 AM)
Sorry but that is simply not true. If that is the case than no schools ever do anything wrong and only the coaches should be punished.

You're right poorly worded. IU did do something wrong, but they did not break any rules. They weren't participating in the rule violations. How "wrong" that something is is debatable. But this case is a little different. The NCAA found that Sampson "lied" and "misled" not only them, but also IU. Those statements lead me to believe that the NCAA is already viewing Sampson and Indiana University on different levels. What IU does in the coming weeks will go a long way in determining what the NCAA does.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 01:43 AM)
You're right poorly worded. IU did do something wrong, but they did not break any rules. They weren't participating in the rule violations. How "wrong" that something is is debatable. But this case is a little different. The NCAA found that Sampson "lied" and "misled" not only them, but also IU. Those statements lead me to believe that the NCAA is already viewing Sampson and Indiana University on different levels. What IU does in the coming weeks will go a long way in determining what the NCAA does.

They still benefited from it, though.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 05:50 AM)
They still benefited from it, though.

That's debatable.

What sicaffey is trying to say, I believe, is that if IU handles this properly then the penalties will be less and more manageable. It appears IU did everything right in handling this and there does not appear to be any lack of institutional control. So the penalties will be different if IU fires Sampson or if they do not and cannot change the minds of the committee on his transgressions (lying).

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 06:56 AM)
That's debatable.

What sicaffey is trying to say, I believe, is that if IU handles this properly then the penalties will be less and more manageable. It appears IU did everything right in handling this and there does not appear to be any lack of institutional control. So the penalties will be different if IU fires Sampson or if they do not and cannot change the minds of the committee on his transgressions (lying).

Yeah that. I think IU is looking to receive or give themselves something very similar to what Oklahoma gave themselves (probation, loss of 3 scholarships one year, 2 scholarships the next, loss of practice time, etc.). Sampson on the other, I think will carry with him much more serious penalties. I don't think Sampson is likely to coach anywhere anytime soon.

Edited by sircaffey

I will be at the Purdue/ N'western game Saturday. I'll also be sticking around to see the high school matchups at Welsh-Ryan, mainly to root on my E.C. Central Cardinals that evening. Any N'western alum/students who have some suggestions for a place to grab a drink or two and a quick meal while I'm near the arena.

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
I will be at the Purdue/ N'western game Saturday. I'll also be sticking around to see the high school matchups at Welsh-Ryan, mainly to root on my E.C. Central Cardinals that evening. Any N'western alum/students who have some suggestions for a place to grab a drink or two and a quick meal while I'm near the arena.

I'm going to Welsh Ryan Sat night as well. The match ups aren't as big as they have been in the past but usually a fun event none the less.

Haha supposedly Bob Kravitz of the IndyStar is claiming Bobby Knight would be interested in coming back to IU, because the people who fired him are not here now.

I find the idea to be amusing, but I hope that's all that ever comes of it.

The only way I could support it, is if Sampson got fired before the year ended, and Knight was interim coach or something of the nature. But all of that is too insane to become reality.

Also, another idea is having him return to IU in an administrative role.

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)

There aren't really a whole lot of places close to the stadium, it's a mostly residential area of town outside of some shops on Central. You really only have two options near the stadium. The first is Bluestone at 1932 Central (maybe 6 blocks from the stadium, other side of the train tracks), which is basically upscale bar food. It gets REALLY packed on game days, but it might not be as bad for an afternoon game. The other is Mustard's Last Stand right by the stadium, which is basically just a hole in the wall with your fast food staples (not exactly cheap for what it is either). You might want to consider hitting downtown Evanston for food before hand, there are far more dining options there.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
There aren't really a whole lot of places close to the stadium, it's a mostly residential area of town outside of some shops on Central. You really only have two options near the stadium. The first is Bluestone at 1932 Central (maybe 6 blocks from the stadium, other side of the train tracks), which is basically upscale bar food. It gets REALLY packed on game days, but it might not be as bad for an afternoon game. The other is Mustard's Last Stand right by the stadium, which is basically just a hole in the wall with your fast food staples (not exactly cheap for what it is either). You might want to consider hitting downtown Evanston for food before hand, there are far more dining options there.

Thanks. I'm sure I'll be OK a couple of cold ones and a burger will do me just fine.

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
Thanks. I'm sure I'll be OK a couple of cold ones and a burger will do me just fine.

Bluestone should work as a one-stop place then. I'd recommend going at like noon before the NU game or going well after the NU game though, whenever we go anywhere close to game time it's hard to find a spot at the bar and there can be 30 minute to hour waits for tables at times. The place is pretty small, luckily they're moving to a new, bigger location closer to the stadium some time this year.

Bluestone is good, I went there.

If you want just greasy food, Id recommend Buffalo Joe's. I dont think its really close to the stadium (its more by the Movie Theatre/El) but they have good wings, cheese burgers (they use the same cheddar cheese that Weiner Circle and Michaels have), waffle fries, etc.

Back when I was in Evanston more I used to eat a lot of their food.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)

If you want just greasy food, Id recommend Buffalo Joe's. I dont think its really close to the stadium (its more by the Movie Theatre/El) but they have good wings, cheese burgers (they use the same cheddar cheese that Weiner Circle and Michaels have), waffle fries, etc.

Yeah, Buffalo Joe's is in downtown Evanston on Clark St between Benson and Sherman. That place is lengendary, but it's not really close to the stadium (according to Mapquest it's about 1.5 miles, probably a 5-10 minute drive). It's doable, it'd just require moving your car. There are a bunch of good options in that general area, Merles is one of my favorites for some barbeque and Las Palmas is a pretty solid Mexican place that's a few blocks down, and that's just a small sampling of places in that general area.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)

good wings at Joe's. If you like those you would also like Birds Nest on southport in lincoln park. Those are my two faves.

Gotta love it, this just must not be UNC's year, and I'm never going to question recruiting over players again.

UNC's injury list now.

Frasor: out for season

Lawson: out with ankle

Thompson: questionable with hyper-extended knee

Green: questionable with flu

Ginyard: ankle injury, limited in play

Hansbrough: turf toe, limited in play

Quentin Thomas: back spasms, limited in play

UNC's injured team could kick UNC's healthy teams butt.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
Gotta love it, this just must not be UNC's year, and I'm never going to question recruiting over players again.

UNC's injury list now.

Frasor: out for season

Lawson: out with ankle

Thompson: questionable with hyper-extended knee

Green: questionable with flu

Ginyard: ankle injury, limited in play

Hansbrough: turf toe, limited in play

Quentin Thomas: back spasms, limited in play

UNC's injured team could kick UNC's healthy teams butt.

let the JV guys get a few games in to let the regulars rest up