Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

i think it's presumptive to say skiles can or can't recruit, since he hasn't been in that role. i can, however, see both sides. on one hand, he's clearly a my way or the highway guy, and i have a hard time seeing him enjoying being buddy buddy and catering to the wants and needs of a 16-year-old high school junior. on the other hand, he can walk into someone's living room and give them a damn good idea of what it takes to play in the nba, from both a coach and a player's perspective. how many coaches could make a similar pitch?

in all, i think skiles would be a good hire for indiana. his basketball i.q. is unquestioned, and he's a guy with a lot of integrity, which i'm certain would be appealing to the hoosier fanbase.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 04:09 PM)
I can't remember who said it on Gameday, but I don't think there will be an IU post-season ban because this has nothing to do with the players. In fact, I don't even know if this should garner a scholarship loss, although I know it probably will. This should be a coaching ban on Sampson and whatever assistants are caught. The entire coaching staff should be replaced, the AD should be fired, and Sampson shouldn't be allowed to coach for however long the NCAA determines.

As much as I dislike Indiana, the players shouldn't be punished, the coaches should.

The program is going to take some kind of hit, that is a given and necessary. Scholarship reductions will be involved, we just do not now to what degree yet. IU has already taken away a scholarship for the 2008-2009 season. Remember when everybody thought this was a non-punishment because they lost recruit Bud Mackey late this year after he got into trouble? It was immediately assumed that it was this season they were reducing the scholarships, but that was not correct.

My guess is they extend the scholarship reduction to two years and possibly by one more scholarship. They will likely keep or place restrictions on allowable recruiting contacts for the next year or two.

The key is how they handle Sampson. Assistant Rob Senderoff is already gone. Assistant Jeff Meyer had a very minor role in this (a coupla calls and a t-shirt). I would think IU will discipline him in some way and allow the new coach to bring in his own assistants, which will probably mean Meyer will be gone. But Meyer has a long history as an NCAA coach including as a Head Coach at Liberty with no problems with the NCAA. I don't think firing him at this point is necessary.

I see Dan Dakich being named Interim Head Coach, with McCallum and Meyer being retained for the rest of the season. The new head coach, whoever that will be, shall handle the changeover of the staff from there. Personally, I'd keep Dakich who has experience with the program and McCallum. McCallum is from Indiana and is a former Head Coach (Ball St), and has a son who is a sophomore who will most likely be a Top 50 player in the country. If a guy is qualified, has in-state ties and experience, and was not named in any of the allegations, I see no reason to force him out.

apparently there was some ugliness between uab fans and memphis players during saturday's game. dorsey had to be restrained, and apparently a player believed to be tiger reserve pierre niles slapped a uab fan. here are some photos of the incident. look to the far right and LOL.

memphis.jpg

memphis1.jpg

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
5 guys for Duke, all the starters, fouled out tonight.

For once, it's Duke getting the shaft and not their opponent. If they get screwed like they did tonight, every game, for the next decade or so, they it'd be close to even.

And for the IU coaching search, what about Scott Drew from Baylor? He has ties to the Hoosier state, and he cleaned up a mess far worse than the Kelvin Sampson phonegate when he got to Baylor, not to mention Baylor has no history of anything in basketball before their really good season this year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 10:16 PM)
And for the IU coaching search, what about Scott Drew from Baylor? He has ties to the Hoosier state, and he cleaned up a mess far worse than the Kelvin Sampson phonegate when he got to Baylor, not to mention Baylor has no history of anything in basketball before their really good season this year.

That's who I'm interested in.

UCLA gets USC back with a 56-46 win at the outstanding Galen Center. But the real story is O.J. Mayo's outstanding performance in defeat. 2-8 from the field, 0-4 from 3 point range, 4 points, 9 rebounds, 3 dimes, 10 turnovers. Missed the double double by only 1 rebound. USC also used a deep bench, playing 6 players, 4 of them for 40 minutes, one for 32, and one for 8.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
Looks like #1 Memphis vs. #2 Tennessee. Go Tennessee :-).

:headbang

I can't wait for this weekend! I was going to go to Memphis for the game, but I have to work. Oh well. It will still be just as great watching 1 vs. 2, and Tennessee becoming the new #1 next week!

QUOTE(gbuk @ Feb 18, 2008 -> 07:11 PM)
How can the Big Ten be overrated when everyone knows it sucks?

he was referring to a few big ten teams being more highly rated in the polls then they deserve (i.e. michigan state, indiana, wisconsin, purdue, etc.).

How can the Big 10 be over rated:

Wisconsin:

Losses: @ Duke (ranked #2), vs Marquette (24), @/vs Purdue (15)

Wins: vs/@ Indiana (ranked 14), @ Texas (7)

MSU:

Losses: UCLA (6), Purdue (15), Indiana (14), @ Iowa (unranked), @ PSU (unranked)

Wins: Purdue (15), Texas (7)

Indiana:

Losses: @ Xavier (12), Uconn (13), @/vs Wisconsin (10)

Wins: MSU (17), Kentucky

Purdue:

Losses: @ Clemson, @ Missouri, Wofford, ISU, @ MSU (17) ( 4 of those losses are 3 points or less)

Wins: @/vs Wisconsin (10), MSU (17)

Outside of Indiana, every one of those 4 teams has 2 wins against top 15 teams (Wisconsin has 3).

Texas has only lost 4 times, the only loss at home its suffered is to Wisconsin. Texas is ranked #7 ahead of both Wisconsin/MSU, but has lost to both of them.

Texas has beaten UCLA, KU, and Tenn, yet is 0-2 versus the Big 10. I guess the Big 10 sucks though...

So I guess in the end:

Texas sucks (it lost both big 10 games it faced.)

KU sucks (lost to texas who cant beat the Big 10)

Tenn sucks (lost to Texas only beat OSU by 5 @ home for comparison OSU lost by 9 away to Purdue and 6 at MSU)

UCLA is average (lost to Texas, but beat MSU)

Butler (would be fighting for 5th in the Big 10 for example Bulter was taken to OT by UWM, Wisconsin beat them 61-39 and Marquette beat them 100-65)

Stanford (lost to Sienna, have they beaten an OOC team in the top 15?)

Georgetown (have they beaten an OOC team in the top 15?)

Xavier (beat Indiana)

Uconn (beat Indiana)

Vandy (have they beaten an ooc team in the top 15?)

When you actually look at what the teams have done, its hard to take the opinion the "Big 10 sucks"

Wisconsin and MSU both have OOC top 10 victories, checking through the other top 10 teams:

Memphis (1 arguable top 10 ooc victory over georgetown)

Tenn (0 top 10 ooc victories)

UNC (0 top 10 ooc victories)

Duke (1 top 10 ooc victory versus Wisconsin must not count because big 10 sucks)

Kansas (0 top 10 ooc victories, 0 top 20 ic victories)

UCLA (0 top 10 ooc victories)

Texas (2 top 10 OOC victories, versus UCLA and Tenn)

Butler (0 top 10 OOC victories, have not even played ranked opponent)

Stanford (0 top 10 OOC victories, has not even played OOC ranked opponent)

So my question is, how can the Big 10 be over rated?

The Big 10 owns 2 victories over Texas, who has beaten the top Big 12 team, the top Pac 10 team and the top SEC team.

If anything based on the information that I can find, the Big 10 is actually under rated, as its hard to understand how Wisconsin can be ranked lower than Butler, Stanford, or Texas.

But lets not let the actual results of this season get in the way:

Big 10 sucks, they never beat anyone. Not one of their teams has a top 10 victory!!!!

BOOOOO@!

aren't any good with the exception of Purdue

Actually I disagree with that.

This is the type of season where the Big 10 gets a bunch of teams deep in the tourney. Last year Florida was quoted as saying that Purdue played them the toughest of anyone in the entire tourney (they also had to beat OSU mind you).

I just watch a lot of college basketball and I feel that almost every conference is vastly over rated outside of the Big 10. Of couse im biased towards the big 10, but I also feel like I call them like I see it. At the beginning of the season I said Wisconsin would be a title contender, but at the same time I completely missed the mark on Purdue.

But as the season progressed and I watched Purdue more you can see me changing my tune and saying that Purdue may win the rest of the Big 10 games.

The reason why the games are played is because they have to mean something.

I just dont understand how a team that is ranked 10 in the nation, only has lost to top 25 teams, and has beat a top 10 team, is over rated?

It just isnt true.

Now if you want to argue there are more "TALENTED" teams, go ahead. No one will say that Wisconsin with 1 5 star recruit is the most talented team in the nation. But rankings depend on what youve done this season, not what your talent/potential is.

And this season the Big 10 teams have earned the rankings that they have received, unless there are a bunch of other teams with 20+ wins and top ten ooc victories?

Well I will agree with you that the big conference teams, as a whole, are down this year. College basketball in fact is watered down as a whole, which is why it wouldn't surprise me if George Mason part 2 happens this year (non BCS team goes to the final 4, and no Memphis doesn't count if they do). I'll actually even agree that every league, outside of the PAC 10, is overrated in terms of BCS leagues. But I can't talk positive about the Big 10, my eyes tell me this is the worst I've ever seen it, and conference RPI tells me it's the worst I've ever seen it (The Big 10 is, rightfully, dead last in conference RPI among the BCS leagues). The one league that is close is the SEC, but even Vandy and Tennessee are both far better than anything in the Big 10, even Purdue. And speaking of which, God bless Purdue, but there is a reason Purdue is almost a revolution in the Big 10 in that they are winning playing a bunch of freshman in that the Big 10 usually has a lot of good upperclassmen to kick the freshman's butt. But not this year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

The Big 10 is, rightfully, dead last in conference RPI among the BCS leagues

Yeah but who cares:

Wisconsin is 13

MSU is 14

Indiana is 23

Purdue is 28

That is 2 teams top 15 in RPI (for comparison:

RPI Top 15:

BE 3

ACC 2

Big 12 2

Big 10 2

Sec 2

Pac 10 1

MVC 1

CUSA 1

A10 1

So really in comparison, the Big 10 only trails BE in terms of its top 15 placement (and its 2 top RPI teams are also 2 of its highest rpi teams)

The one league that is close is the SEC, but even Vandy and Tennessee are both far better than anything in the Big 10, even Purdue.

Disagree, Tenn hasnt really beaten anyone, either has Vandy. Just because you look good beating cupcakes doesnt mean that they could beat top teams. Tenn will play Memphis, so we shall see.

even Purdue. And speaking of which, God bless Purdue, but there is a reason Purdue is almost a revolution in the Big 10 in that they are winning playing a bunch of freshman in that the Big 10 usually has a lot of good upperclassmen to kick the freshman's butt. But not this year.

This right here is odd. You act like Purdue is head and shoulders above the Big 10, when Wisconsin played them really close (they shot ridiculous in the second meeting and the first one at Purdue came down to a blocked shot). MSU beat Purdue 1 time and Indiana has not even had their shot at them.

As for this being the worst big 10 youve seen, ive already posted how thats just not true as almost every team outside of OSU is better than last year, especially in the top 4.

08 Purdue > 07 Purdue

08 MSU > 07 MSU

08 Indiana > 07 Indiana

08 Wisconsin > 07 Wisconsin

The teams that have declined are:

OSU and Illinois.

The rest of the teams were not NCAA tourney contenders last year, but some of them have seen drastic improvements. (Minnesota)

The only argument I could perhaps understand is that the Big 10 is lacking a true "elite" team like OSU, but last years OSU was beat by Wisconsin, and the Wisconsin team this year is better than last years, so its really just a hard argument to make.

The Big ten from top to bottom is the last of the big leagues and rightfully so. You mention the 4 top 30 teams in RPI, none are top 5 type teams, and the bottom half of the league is woeful. The ACC is weak this year as well, and they spanked the big 10 in the head to head matchups. Ohio State as the 5th team is not going to make the NCAA you watch. Four teams will go with nobody over a 3 seed, maybe nobody over a 4/5 seed. That is not a good year for a "top league." ACC, BIg 12, Pac 10, Big East, all have legit national champion contenders at the top, and the other teams going would fit into the Big 10's represenatives. Pac 10 & Big East are head and shoulders above the rest, but the big 10 is running last in that field!

Edited by JuiceCruz16

First of all, Purdue swept Wisconsin, including beating them at Madison in a game they led and controlled almost the entire 40 minutes, so please. Second of all, there is a reason the Big 10 RPI is so low, and that is the majority of the league is like, mid major bad. As a result, the decent teams look a lot better, even look really good, since a lot of time is spent by them beating on the bad teams in the league. Then of course, you get to best out of conference wins:

Indiana: Didn't beat a single NCAA tournament team out of league play, Illinois State is perhaps the closest, or maybe even Kentucky :lolhitting

Purdue: Nice win against Louisville (although they weren't nearly the same team then as now), but the losses to very bad Iowa State, Missouri, and Wofford teams wash that out and then some.

Wisconsin: The Texas win was incredible in Austin, but they were embarassed by Duke, lost to what turns out to be an overrated Marquette team at home, and their second best OOC win is indistinguishable.

Michigan State: The exception to this rule, as Sparty in addition to also beating Texas, beat BYU in Salt Lake City, got a decent true road win at Bradley, even beat NC State when they were ranked and gave a not overrated UCLA a very good game.

Also, the Missouri Valley, CUSA, and Atlantic 10 have top 12 RPI teams, which the Big 10 doesn't.

Edited by whitesoxfan101