Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 18, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
Which goes entirely against your argument that the Big 10 has no national title contenders.

That is exactly my argument by the way, that the Big 10 teams are good and but nothing spectacular. Because they are all good solid teams that play hard defense, they have a legitimate chance because if one of those contenders goes up against Purdue and has an off night, than maybe Purdue beats them...

For being the head and shoulders best team, how have they lost to K-State and Texas? Head and shoulders to me means that they dont lose. I agree they are the most talented and have the most potential, but I think they have to prove that they are the best TEAM. That means winning games like Texas and K-State, as they do not play Texas again this year so they might have lost their chance at a Big 12 title.

UCLA beat MSU...

Both Indiana and Wisconsin have been ranked higher than MSU this season. The reason why MSU was ranked so highly is because the "experts" put Indiana and MSU very high on the rankings to start the season and left Wisconsin completely off.

As for it being a "bad thing" no, it just disproves your point that no team in the Big 10 has a chance to win. If MSU, the team that will most likely finish 4th in the Big 10, only lost to a national contender by 6, perhaps the 3 other Big 10 teams may have a shot at beating them...

Well thats actually not true.

Right now Wisconsin has played 25 games:

13 IC

12 OC

Of the IC games:

Michigan x2, Iowax2, Ill, PSU, NU, Purdue x2, Indiana, Minnesota

You said that Iowa isnt dangerous (strange they beat MSU), but Ill go with your words:

So far Wisconsin has only played 7 games against the teams at the bottom.

7/25= 28%

Is 28% now the majority?

What math are we talking here?

What math? 13 in conference games 7 against the bottom. 54% a slight majority. That is why the bottom half being horses*** is a major factor for overall league strength. Any team being able to win on a given night does not go against my argument. I said that the Big 10 have 4 second level teams with a punchers chance to get the crown, they do not have any legit top contenders. Their bottom half are terrible and not dangerous (1 win by the bottom5 against the top 4 all year, wow danger ) In a one and done tournament every team is on the edge nightly. To run through the whole enchilada the top contenders have buch better odds, but no guarentees. I'm a Tarheel fan and if Ty Lawson does not get back 100% they are not a contender for the national title. They will be capable of knocking teams off and have a punchers chance, but a legit title contender, no. Impossible to win and not being a legit threat are different things to me. Villanova and N.C. State were not legit contenders either, but they pulled the Buster Douglass and got the title. It is not impossible, just unlikely. The 4 top Big 10 squads are good and any team can lose to them, none are top notch as the Big 10 is accustomed to having, and that bottom half is as bad as it gets for a top level league.

Go Purdue tonight!!!! by the way :headbang

Edited by JuiceCruz16

It's misleading when you point to some of the losses the Big Ten has had this season particularly Purdue and Indiana. Both of these teams are very young teams, and anyone not expecting them to struggling at times in the early going were fooling themselves. Purdue right now, is a much better team that lost to teams like Iowa St. early in the season. IU's drubbing of MSU without DJ White doesn't necessarily show how much MSU is overrated more than how much IU has progressed. You can see clear improvements in both PU and IU as the season has progressed. These progressions should continue.

So, here's Fathom's 1st and 2nd team All-Americans so far, as well as Freshman All-American and underrated All-American

1st team AA / 2nd team AA / Frosh AA / Underrated

G D.J. Augustin / J. Bayless / Bayless / S. Gaines

G C. D-Roberts / E. Gordon / Gordon / D. Downey

C T. Hansbrough / K. Love / Love / J. Varnado

F R. Anderson / D.J. White / D. Greene / Tyler Smith

F M. Beasley / L. Harangody / Beasley / D. James

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 10:01 AM)
It's misleading when you point to some of the losses the Big Ten has had this season particularly Purdue and Indiana. Both of these teams are very young teams, and anyone not expecting them to struggling at times in the early going were fooling themselves. Purdue right now, is a much better team that lost to teams like Iowa St. early in the season. IU's drubbing of MSU without DJ White doesn't necessarily show how much MSU is overrated more than how much IU has progressed. You can see clear improvements in both PU and IU as the season has progressed. These progressions should continue.

Very true, especially in Purdues' case. For IU that Mich. St. win is their first good win. I like their team and they look very dangerous (with EJ &DJ 100%), but their non confrence schedule had no big wins, and they didn't beat anybody in league worth a damn to that point before Mich. St. ( got Purdue for the first time tonight, lost to Wis. twice) Feb. is a total differnt animal then Nov./Dec. though. UCONN and Louisville look like totally different teams at this point as well.

Like Pitino said after last nights win, you don't cash your tickets at the Kentucky Derby after the first 6 furlongs. It's in Febuary leading to the finish line in March that is important.

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)
Very true, especially in Purdues' case. For IU that Mich. St. win is their first good win. I like their team and they look very dangerous (with EJ &DJ 100%), but their non confrence schedule had no big wins, and they didn't beat anybody in league worth a damn to that point before Mich. St. ( got Purdue for the first time tonight, lost to Wis. twice) Feb. is a total differnt animal then Nov./Dec. though. UCONN and Louisville look like totally different teams at this point as well.

Like Pitino said after last nights win, you don't cash your tickets at the Kentucky Derby after the first 6 furlongs. It's in Febuary leading to the finish line in March that is important.

No s***..rock choke jayhawk.

:(

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
So, here's Fathom's 1st and 2nd team All-Americans so far, as well as Freshman All-American and underrated All-American

From you? I'm surprised -- you usually have "over" before "rated", not "under".

I've really come to appreciate his defense this season. He's the best on-the-ball defender we have -- better than McNeal. His vision and passing ability are top-notch as well. Still a 'meh' shooter, but he's been making better decisions this season.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)

I've really come to appreciate his defense this season. He's the best on-the-ball defender we have -- better than McNeal. His vision and passing ability are top-notch as well. Still a 'meh' shooter, but he's been making better decisions this season.

Id put Darnell Jackson in all underrated team.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)

I would say Jamont Gordon is probably an all american let alone getting a mention here, and Gransbury from S. Florida is a beast nobody knows about. I agree with Ryan Anderson getting some props.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 12:07 PM)

Hard to really argue with that. I'd put Gordon on 1st team over Augustin but everything else i'd agree with. Here is my underrated team (im putting 6 on here)

Underrated

G A.J. Price

G S. Curry

G S. Singletary

F K. Gransberry

F R. Williams

F D. James

Oh, and PoY would be Beasley for me

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 05:25 PM)

Hate to break it to you, but I meant Damion James on Texas.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 05:27 PM)
Id put Darnell Jackson in all underrated team.

The thing with Jackson is that every game, people say how underrated he is. It's almost to the point he's become an overrated, underrated player. However, nothing is more sickening than watching Lville games now. David Padgett is praised so much...I'm not kidding when I say they were even complimenting him for running to the bench when he got pulled.

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 05:28 PM)
I would say Jamont Gordon is probably an all american let alone getting a mention here, and Gransbury from S. Florida is a beast nobody knows about. I agree with Ryan Anderson getting some props.

FWIW, Gordon, Shan Foster, and Chalmers were the 3 players I considered before placing Gordon on the 2nd team.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 12:02 PM)
The thing with Jackson is that every game, people say how underrated he is. It's almost to the point he's become an overrated, underrated player. However, nothing is more sickening than watching Lville games now. David Padgett is praised so much...I'm not kidding when I say they were even complimenting him for running to the bench when he got pulled.

Padgett is a horse's ass, what a little wuss.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
Hard to really argue with that. I'd put Gordon on 1st team over Augustin but everything else i'd agree with. Here is my underrated team (im putting 6 on here)

Underrated

G A.J. Price

G S. Curry

G S. Singletary

F K. Gransberry

F R. Williams

F D. James

Oh, and PoY would be Beasley for me

Stephen (spelling?) Curry from Davidson is a great call for underrated. I forgot about him for a second. I like the big kid from BYU also, Trent Plaistad? Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)

Augustin? Really? I didn't catch last night's game, but he's been really up and down this year.

I saw Oden and Durant play ISU last year, and Beasley this year. He was by far the most impressive of the three. He good.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
Augustin? Really? I didn't catch last night's game, but he's been really up and down this year.

I saw Oden and Durant play ISU last year, and Beasley this year. He was by far the most impressive of the three. He good.

Even when Augustin is missing shots he can still control the game. That's what makes him so effective.

If it wasn't for Beasley's questionable attitude, and I realize that he's one of the youngest freshmen in the nation, then I could safely state that he's the best NBA prospect since Lebron.

He's not missing much if he matures with age.

6'9 with muscle, length, athleticism, shooting touch, defensive ability/desire. The only question skillwise right now is his ballhandling, and it's about average.

Great rebounder, very good shooter at 55% FG, 42% 3PT, and 74% FT. Even averages 1.5 steals and 1.6 blocks a game.

I'm dying for the Heat to get to draft him.

Another frosh PG candidate is Nick Calathes, averaging 15.2 ppg, 5.1 rpg, and 6.1 apg.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
If it wasn't for Beasley's questionable attitude, and I realize that he's one of the youngest freshmen in the nation, then I could safely state that he's the best NBA prospect since Lebron.

He's not missing much if he matures with age.

6'9 with muscle, length, athleticism, shooting touch, defensive ability/desire. The only question skillwise right now is his ballhandling, and it's about average.

Great rebounder, very good shooter at 55% FG, 42% 3PT, and 74% FT. Even averages 1.5 steals and 1.6 blocks a game.

I'm dying for the Heat to get to draft him.

Another frosh PG candidate is Nick Calathes, averaging 15.2 ppg, 5.1 rpg, and 6.1 apg.

Beasley does have a bit of an entourage I hear. When he faced off against ND in New York, I know Luke " said he and especially his crew in the front row were by far the biggest s*** talkers he has seen. He had nothing but good things to say about Walker though.

Calathes is the real deal as well. The first time I heard him get BIG TIME status praised up was during AAU ball when he torched E'twaun in a game. There may be better guards, but he clearly had the respect of "Schmooge" and has a great all around game which more then a few guys raved about when I saw them that summer.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
Hate to break it to you, but I meant Damion James on Texas.

//middle finger

Clarity, fathom -- clarity! I thought we could have a nice post (or two) long discussion about our favorite point guard before the topic of Big Ten overratedness, Kansas/Self bashing or Iowa State talk restaked it's claim.

David Padgett is praised so much...I'm not kidding when I say they were even complimenting him for running to the bench when he got pulled.

I think I've heard four times in the past month (from four different people) that Padgett is the best "facilitator" in the nation.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(gbuk @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
Even when Augustin is missing shots he can still control the game. That's what makes him so effective.

I guess the three times I've actually watched him play for an extended amount of time were @ Mizzou, @ Iowa State and @ Baylor.

I've always thought he's just about the dumbest person in sports media, but Zach Zaidman is announcing the DePaul/UCONN game on 560 am tonight. He's the worst announcer I've ever heard. He honestly yells about every play as if it was a last second shot. Do yourself a favor and put the game on if you get a chance.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
I've always thought he's just about the dumbest person in sports media, but Zach Zaidman is announcing the DePaul/UCONN game on 560 am tonight. He's the worst announcer I've ever heard. He honestly yells about every play as if it was a last second shot. Do yourself a favor and put the game on if you get a chance.

Yeah, I heard him a few weeks ago (and then saw him on his way out of the building), he's not exactly a PBP guy.