If you thought the subprime mortgage crisis was bad...

StrangeSox

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 06:00 AM)
But, at the end of the day, if this woman had an ounce of self-control, this whole situation wouldn't have happened.

You know, I did some thinking about this while biking home last night. Specifically a bit of the math. Now, I can't testify to the rest of her debt situation, I don't know what her mortgage payment is, how many kids she's supporting, etc. But it seems to me, if I was in a situation where my income was about to jump to $6000 a month, and I genuinely believed that, I could easily have afforded this car in a reasonable time frame if that's how I wanted to spend my money.

A $6000 a year position would pay $72,000 a year. If she's paying, oh, let's say, $2000 a month for housing, that knocks off 1/3 of that amount. That still leaves about $40,000 after taxes available for the rest of her expenses. If she had $30,000 as the down payment...and the purchase decision on the car was the only major purchase she made, there's no reason why she couldn't afford that car, especially if she took out the loan over 5 or 6 years, if her income was actually going to go back up to $6000/month. Heck, my income is a lot lower than that, but I did the math last night, and if I wanted to, I could have afforded that car. I'm not stupid enough to buy that car, but just as a matter of math, I could if I wanted to.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here, just doing my part to help.

The salesman was a scumbag.

QFT

Winnar!

Yeah that

I agree

Damn, this may take a while to get to 100.

+1

^^^

Yep. He was a scumbag

You hit the nail on the head

I should have stayed home and kept doing this. Bowling SUCKED! I picked up a 4-7-10, a 6-7-10 and a 5-10 tonight, but chopped 5 easy pickups and missed a 5 pin! Glad my team is still in forst, because I sure didn't help the cause tonight.

ok, 11 more tonight. I'll give you more tomorrow. I have to pull up carpet in anticipation of new flooring going in on Monday, but I am sure I will need a break and can come back here and give you a few more.