On-line versus real life

Texsox

I very close friends of mine was lurking in a few threads and she commented that I have a completely different personality online than I do in "real life". Thinking over the past couple years of face to face conversations, and excluding my lying, cheating, ex-wife I have been in a total of one argument where I even raised my voice. Most people in real life will say I have the patience of a Saint.

Usually I am the jester in the corner egging people on and telling jokes.

So I'm starting to wonder, are online forums and such a chance to act out in ways you would not face to face, are they an outlet for areas in your life you can not otherwise express, are some people just bad at written communications?

In other words, why am I the angry asshole on the boards and a sweetheart in real life, including on the telephone?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
I very close friends of mine was lurking in a few threads and she commented that I have a completely different personality online than I do in "real life". Thinking over the past couple years of face to face conversations, and excluding my lying, cheating, ex-wife I have been in a total of one argument where I even raised my voice. Most people in real life will say I have the patience of a Saint.

So I'm starting to wonder, are online forums and such a chance to act out in ways you would not face to face, are they an outlet for areas in your life you can not otherwise express, are some people just bad at written communications?

In other words, why am I the angry asshole on the boards and a sweetheart in real life, including on the telephone?

I think there's just a lot of our personalities that don't translate well to our "e-life". First of all, I would guess that a lot of physical traits would alter the interactions here... aside from our resident sped, gp , I think most people would stop and listen to each other, espcially to the elder individuals and respect what you have to say. I'm sure there'd be some level of sarcasm, but not to the levels we see here.

I would guess that also that anonymity draws out extreme behaviors. People here are more willing to say big things that I would bet if the person they were calling out were standing right in front of them.

And lastly, for the sake of discussion, I for one take more extreme positions to read people's responses. I'm not saying I egg people on or bait them, but I'm not nearly as fundementalist as I might come off to people. I just like challenging.

We're all a subset of some larger group, because we're willing to participate in this online community and share a bit of ourselves. Not everyone is comfortable with that or have a desire to discuss/learn/argue, etc.

anyway, just my buck three fifty.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)

Personally, I like the angry asshole that you are. Gives me a nice target. :D

Maybe this is untrue for you, but I think we are constantly discussing pretty heated things in here that would draw those reactions. I think it's easier to discuss these topics on computer because you can argue but also just walk away by clicking. You don't have to deal with the awkwardness of a political debate with a friend face to face.

I think a lot of people use the forums as a tool to portray themselves a certain way with no consequences. Ive never met anyone from any of these forums before so its hard to gage how some people are in real life but theres that occasional ass hat that you know is full of s***

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 05:11 PM)
I think a lot of people use the forums as a tool to portray themselves a certain way with no consequences. Ive never met anyone from any of these forums before so its hard to gage how some people are in real life but theres that occasional ass hat that you know is full of s***

In person is totally different. I can't wait to get back up to Dallas to see Kap. I'll bet crooked BMW salespeople and stupid consumers will never be mentioned :lol:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
In person is totally different. I can't wait to get back up to Dallas to see Kap. I'll bet crooked BMW salespeople and stupid consumers will never be mentioned :lol:

Oh now you went and done it. I have to go find a crooked BMW dealer that will sell me my first Beamer for $100K with no money down and take you for a ride when you come back up here. :lolhitting

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 08:45 PM)
Oh now you went and done it. I have to go find a crooked BMW dealer that will sell me my first Beamer for $100K with no money down and take you for a ride when you come back up here. :lolhitting

But you can afford it, you have to find someone to sell you a $500,000 car, and then I can go kick his ass :cheers

Then we head to Mexico and find the %#()$ tattoo artist who gave me the Israel4Ever Tat

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
But you can afford it, you have to find someone to sell you a $500,000 car, and then I can go kick his ass :cheers

Then we head to Mexico and find the %#()$ tattoo artist who gave me the Israel4Ever Tat

You are an idiot. :lolhitting And a damn funny one at that. :lolhitting

My Maserati Gran Tourismo is in the driveway now, and damn was that salesman a real snake in the grass. :D

I use this place pretty much as almost a testing ground for opinions, see what I can get away with saying/thinking and what I can't, which is a nice thing to be able to do somewhere without consequence as a journalism major. The only side of my "internet personality" that is anything like me in real life is White Sox related stuff, as the actually do piss me off that much. However, beyond that, I'm nothing like I am here in real life.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 05:11 PM)

Ive met a couple of people from here, pretty much the same people.