Pizza, have you tried every style

Texsox

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
I'll take any of those over the crap that is here in ann arbor. Seriously, who thinks that Pizza Hut is quality pizza??? Only Michiganders can make a great food horrible.

Anybody ever have Nancy's stuffed over in Elmhurst? Whenever I go back I always get some of that, mmmhmmm!!

Ya, I live about 2 minutes from there and Ive gotten it from time to time. Theres a Lous in downtown Elmhurst too so when I want deep dish I normally go with that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
I thought the show was awesome until the end when the taste-testers showed up. I thought the history behind the brands in each city was really interesting, especially all the different naming rights issues and stolen crust recipes.

But once those firefighters sat down, the show certainly did suck. What they needed to do was find some completely neutral participants and test it that way. I dont know, maybe some guys in Idaho or Washington or somewhere that those types of pizza arent readily available

Problem is no matter where they test it, it isn't the same. I don't care if you ship it in frozen or try and replicate it locally, I guarantee you that neither type of pizza is as good as if you were buying it in the restaurant. I buy half baked pizzas from a local Chicago-style joint down and finish them at home. But it is still not as good as when it is brought to your table piping hot.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
I'll take any of those over the crap that is here in ann arbor. Seriously, who thinks that Pizza Hut is quality pizza??? Only Michiganders can make a great food horrible.

Anybody ever have Nancy's stuffed over in Elmhurst? Whenever I go back I always get some of that, mmmhmmm!!

Don't they have "Pizza House" in AA? Pretty decent for Chicago style when its not in Chicago.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
Problem is no matter where they test it, it isn't the same. I don't care if you ship it in frozen or try and replicate it locally, I guarantee you that neither type of pizza is as good as if you were buying it in the restaurant. I buy half baked pizzas from a local Chicago-style joint down and finish them at home. But it is still not as good as when it is brought to your table piping hot.

I agree, but the creators of the show probably didnt want to risk bringing dirty New York firefighters to Chicago ;)

And it didnt matter anyways. Those guys all decided before the pizza was put on the table that they didnt like it, and they werent going to like it even if they tried it. It was rather embarrassing to watch them critique the pizza, kind of like asking a 7 year old to critique a meal at Mortons steakhouse.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
How does gas station pizza even come into a real conversation about pizza???

Because it's actually pizza. And yeah, it's nowhere in the same league as most of the places people are talking about, but after a long night at the bar. A slice from Casey's is pretty damn good.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 07:17 PM)
Because it's actually pizza. And yeah, it's nowhere in the same league as most of the places people are talking about, but after a long night at the bar. A slice from Casey's is pretty damn good.

White Castle tastes good after a long night at the bar, but that does not mean it belongs in a discussion about good eats.

There is a Barnaby's off Dundee Rd by the Highway in Northbrook.

And Lou's is good, but I like the real Uno's or Edwardos better, Giardono's probably as well.

I like NY style as well, they are just 2 different tastes so its really no use to compare them. As for NY style, I used to love this place back in Madison called Ian's, they are supposed to be creating one in Lincoln Park, but we will see.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 11:26 PM)

And Lou's is good, but I like the real Uno's or Edwardos better, Giardono's probably as well.

I like NY style as well, they are just 2 different tastes so its really no use to compare them. As for NY style, I used to love this place back in Madison called Ian's, they are supposed to be creating one in Lincoln Park, but we will see.

Not a fan?

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)

We go up to the Barnaby's in Schaumburg on Golf rd about once a month or so for a family get together. I like the pizza

There are only 2 times I can remember going to Barnaby's

1) For the end of the year baseball party (the pizza seemed good enough but I was about 12 years old)

2) Being in the parking lot of the one in Northbrook and getting in a huge fight with my ex-gf about what I wanted to do for my birthday and then it turning out that she had gotten Sox/Cubs tickets for my birthday thats why she didnt want to do what I did.

Hence why I didnt give it a rating.

:D

Ach N Lou's in Aurora. Every time I go home, I make sure we go there at least once. It's thin crust, but oh, it's sooooooooooooo good.

I also have a soft spot for Home Run Inn.

I will occasionally have deep dish (usually when entertaining out of town guests), but it's usually far too heavy for me.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
How do you know Pat's Pizza?! In Grayslake? Excellent pizza. I love the Devil's Revenge

I don't know if it's the same owners, but I was thinking of the Pat's on Sheffield just south of Belmont by the Vic Theatre. Mmmmm.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 18, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
I don't know if it's the same owners, but I was thinking of the Pat's on Sheffield just south of Belmont by the Vic Theatre. Mmmmm.

Nope, different owner. They both have been around for a long time.

I guess I'm weird with pizza, as for me it all depends on the day. Somedays I need a deep dish, and somedays it needs to be a Lou's. Other days it needs to be a Rosatti's.

Somedays I need thin crust. Somedays it needs to be from Red's, somedays it needs to be from another place.

I don't have an ideal pizza style, or place. Most days I prefer the thin crust though. But usually I like to make my own. Still testing different crust recipes out, and still experimenting with my own sauce. Pizza's more fun when you make it yourself. IMO.

But then there are those days you just need a Little Caesar or Tombstone.