2008 College Baseball Thread

chimpy2121

just about finally sobered up from my trip to nashville to see vandy vs. south carolina....

unbelievable game friday night as SC scored in the top of the 9th to go ahead, and then Ryan Flaherty (who if is available when the sox pick in the third round I would love for them to take) tied it with a bomb with two outs in the ninth and won it in the 12th or 13th with a base hit...we then exchanged back to back blowouts and won the series...

I wished I had gotten to see the much anticipated Alvarez vs. Smoke matchup... when we get pedro back it should give our O a mighty boost...

Smoke looked way bigger than i remember him looking. I had seen him once before and thought he had a grady sizemore type build, but this guy is much bigger, more of a younger jason giambi type body....that said id love for him to fall to us at 8...the guy is a special hitter, doesnt have the quick hands pedro does, but he seemed a bit more of a natural hitter...not as much effort in the swing...probably a bit more contact

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
No. 4 mizzou swept no. 14 Baylor. Mizzou's starting pitching 25 inn, 0 ER. Crow, Gibson and Berger are like 13-0 with a combined ERA on 1.00 ish.

Yeah, disgusting.

Friday: Crow 9 IP, 0 R, 10 K, 3 BB, 3 hits on 109 pitches. He also k'd the last 5 he faced and the 3 guys in the 9th k'd on 9 pitches combined.

Saturday: Ian Berger 7 IP, 0 R, 8 K, 3 BB, 1 hit (freshman prospect Nick Tepesch got through the 8th and 9th in order to hold the Bears to a 1-hitter).

Sunday: Kyle Gibson 7 IP, 2 R (0 ER), 9 K, 2 BB, 4 hits (Mizzou run-ruled the Bears after 7).

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 09:08 PM)
FSU is doing good so far too, but of course we're losing to the Gators who we always seem to suck against.

glad we both hate UF.

Miami smoked Wake 17-3, 23-2 and was up 9-1 in the 4th before the game being called.

QUOTE(zenryan @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
glad we both hate UF.

Miami smoked Wake 17-3, 23-2 and was up 9-1 in the 4th before the game being called.

Yeah man, I can't stand them. Miami I don't mind unless we're playing them as there fans are nowhere near as obnoxious as Gator fans. I can't wait for our games at the end of April.

We swept Va Tech improving our ACC record to 9-0. We did have some close cames though and our pitching still sucks, but I'd be shocked if Dennis Guinn doesn't get player of the week again. He hit 3 homers, 5 doubles and had 10 RBI in the series(2 Hr, 2 Doubles, 5 RBI today). He is now batting .429 on the season with a OPS of 1.453.

Edited by chimpy2121

Geez...ASU played FIVE GAMES over the weekend. How the heck is that possible?!? They sustained their first loss of the season against Northern Colorado?!?...but bounced back to pound No. 7 UC Irvine 11-3. Leake went the distance to go 5-0. They open the Pac 10 this week against USC. They did receive a blow last week when reliever Jason Jarvis was ruled ineligible.

We had a fun game tonight where we are currently leading Stetson 19-2 in the 9th, with 13 scored in the first 3 innings.

Wake Forest sucks, I'm going to be pissed if we lose one to them. It is currently 14-2 FSU in the 6th inning.

Edited by chimpy2121

Aaron Crow is officially not going to be available by the time the White Sox pick unless he gets some absurd signing demands. Tonight at Texas Tech: 8 IP, 0 R, 9 K, 4 BB, 2 hits. That's 33 straight scoreless innings, 17 of which came against Big 12 opponents.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 09:17 PM)
Aaron Crow is officially not going to be available by the time the White Sox pick unless he gets some absurd signing demands. Tonight at Texas Tech: 8 IP, 0 R, 9 K, 4 BB, 2 hits. That's 33 straight scoreless innings, 17 of which came against Big 12 opponents.

Crow's #s on the year: 6-0, 0.84 ERA, 43.0 innings, 28 hits, 11 BBs and 60 Ks. To put into perspective what Crow is doing, Mark Prior's final year at USC, he put up a line of this: 15-1, 1.70 ERA, 138.0 innings, 100 hits, 18 BBs and 202 Ks. AlthoughPrior edges Crow in the K/9inn, BB/9inn, Crow's ERA is better. Crow is lock for the top 2 now unless his demands are outrageous like previously said. Also, I have heard from a good source that Crow wants to go the KC or TB and also will likely not sign until the last minute with whomever he signs. Also, I think his agent is the same agent as Roger Clemens' kid and not Boras like some have mentioned.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
Ugh, I'm a jinx. After putting up 3 TDs last night (21-2), we only score 2 runs today and lose 4-2.

It's frustrating scoring 90 runs in our last 6 games, then putting only putting up 2 against a crappy school.

Haha! That's baseball.

Beat the Gators 10-2 tonight in Jacksonville.

Buster Posey, the latest Nole ACC POW, hit another HR. Aaron Fitt over at Baseball America thinks Posey is going top 10 now.

So far he's only hitting .456 with 8 homers, 34 rbi, a 3:1 BB to K ratio, and more 2B than Ks. He also has a 0.00 era with 3 saves and 4 Ks in 4 apperances (4 ip).

Edited by chimpy2121

Aaron Crow continues to be the best pitcher in the country. 9 IP, 0 R, 7 K, 0 BB, 8 hits. He got a shot to his bicep in his throwing arm off a comebacker to the 1st batter, but it didn't phase him much. 42.2 scoreless inning streak.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
Aaron Crow continues to be the best pitcher in the country. 9 IP, 0 R, 7 K, 0 BB, 8 hits. He got a shot to his bicep in his throwing arm off a comebacker to the 1st batter, but it didn't phase him much. 42.2 scoreless inning streak.

That is sick, especially given aluminum bats in college.

Titans beat #5 UCI today (Gorgen too, who is there Ace).

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)

yeah, he didn't have his "A" stuff tonight, it looked like and still posted a shutout against a real good offensive team. Apparently, he didn't break the consecutive streak like people were saying. Eddie Bane of ASU from the early '70s has it at 43 innings. Still though, the man is amazing.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Apr 5, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
yeah, he didn't have his "A" stuff tonight, it looked like and still posted a shutout against a real good offensive team. Apparently, he didn't break the consecutive streak like people were saying. Eddie Bane of ASU from the early '70s has it at 43 innings. Still though, the man is amazing.

He had the best control I've seen in a couple starts from him though. Not to say he's had bad control, but he was ahead of every batter it seemed and no walks is obviously a good indicator.

Titans blew the lead in extras and lost the game. Rubber game tomorrow and I'll be there. I'd love to take two of three at UCI. Titans got a young squad and the past week a couple of there super freshman seemed to start to pick things up (rotation has been shaky though and they still haven't really found a closer).