2008 College Baseball Thread

chimpy2121

havent been following as much lately...vandy had a shot at the SEC two weeks ago but we lost our last 5 in SEC play and dropped to the 6 seed int he SEC tournament played at Regions Stadium (home of the Bham barons).....i get the SEC tourney on foxsports central, and i promise you the SEC tournament is worth watching....the games are electric adn the players are so in to it...not to mention you get the shot to see some guys who will be top 2 round picks, though beckham and his #1 ranked bulldogs were gone after 2 games

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 24, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
Alvarez made a nice barehanded play today.

nearly turned a triple play too....his defense was pretty rough a couple years ago, but hes gotten quite a bit better and it looks like he will be able to stick it over there in the majors...hes got a ++ arm

Motherf***er...Titans blew yesterdays game in the 8th (which would have clinched sole poession of the conference title) and are getting hammered today. LB State holds the tie-breaker and will get the auto bid. Not that its a major deal, Fullerton will still host a regional but I still hate losing and this loss (2 out of 3, albeit on the road to a top 25 LB State team) could impact there possibilities at hosting a Super Regional (of course they still have to win a regional and I have my doubts because I truly don't think Fullerton's pitching is even close to being good enough).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 25, 2008 -> 06:51 PM)
LSU is playing very very good right now.

EDIT: Sorry, the list I saw didn't include LSU on there. They are hosting.

I'm surprised they didn't get a regional. Don't get me wrong, I like having another ACC team host, but I don't know how NC State got one over them.

Edited by chimpy2121

ACC has the top RPI in the country so they got that going for them. Of course the ACC hasn't had a national champ since 1955 (Wake Forest) and I personally hope that draught continues. I want to say that while Michigan has some talent (see Putnam) that it is a f***ing joke that they are getting a regional. I realize the midwest needs some representation but there were some more deserving squads.

Below is the a list of the teams hosting regionals (per BA):

ACC (4): Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State

Big 12 (3): Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M

Big West (2): Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State

Pac-10 (2): Arizona State, Stanford

SEC (2): Georgia, Louisiana State

Big South (1): Coastal Carolina

Big Ten (1): Michigan

Conference USA (1): Rice

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 25, 2008 -> 05:51 PM)
LSU is playing very very good right now.

yeah theyve won like what...20 something in a row...plus a pretty impressive come from behind victory over Bama in the semis of the SEC tourney

Wow, making it tough on Miami. They get to deal with Mizzu.

Titans get UCLA/Virginia as the 2 & 3's in there conference. They've played well against the Bruins this season, but there is no doubting UCLA's talent (preseason #1).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 26, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
Wow, making it tough on Miami. They get to deal with Mizzu.

Titans get UCLA/Virginia as the 2 & 3's in there conference. They've played well against the Bruins this season, but there is no doubting UCLA's talent (preseason #1).

they still havent posted the bracket online...im not by a tv, can you tell me where vandy ended up if you saw it or remember

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 26, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
they still havent posted the bracket online...im not by a tv, can you tell me where vandy ended up if you saw it or remember

I don't remember, but they were a 2 and had a tough #1 seed in there bracket IIRC.

Jesus, Mizzu/Miss, two of the best rotations in the country. Going to be a rough run for Miami as the overall #1.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 26, 2008 -> 09:51 AM)
Kyle Pederson names top 5 pitchers to watch and Aaron Crow not one of them. Wow. Great analysis. Yes, I am a homer, but he is a top 10 pick and he picks Andrew Oliver from OK State over Crow.

I was stunned not to see Crow. Than again, they listed top hitters and you didn't see Pedro Alvarez in there (although that could be because statistically he isn't). Crow is 12-0 though and I sure as hell wouldn't want to face him or Matsuz.

we play arizona state....they absolutely whipped us in the 3rd game of the year...but hopefully we will seek revenge...

wallace went yard twice last time we played em including a grand slam...alvarez vs. wallace...some pretty good 3b in that regional

QUOTE (knightni @ May 25, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
How was Notre Dame this year?

33-21, 16-10 in the Big East. Not bad, but that's not gonna ever get in the tourney. Big East was only a 2-bid league this year and Louisville only got in because they won the conference tournament.

Aaron Crow is doing his thing in what is probably his last start as a Mizzou Tiger. 7-0 Mizzou mid 8 right now with Crow mowing down the Rebels. Mizzou probably won't win another game this regional.

7-0 Tigers win. 2 years in a row Crow has thrown a complete game for the Friday regional game, but this time it's a shutout. 10 K, 5 BB, 3 hits. Not his best control, but he walked 2 in the last 2 innings once his pitch count got over 100. I really hope it wasn't the last outing of his career, but he's toast for the regional and I'm almost 100% sure Mizzou can't win this regional (especially considering I don't think they will win another game).

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 30, 2008 -> 07:44 PM)
Aaron Crow is doing his thing in what is probably his last start as a Mizzou Tiger. 7-0 Mizzou mid 8 right now with Crow mowing down the Rebels. Mizzou probably won't win another game this regional.

7-0 Tigers win. 2 years in a row Crow has thrown a complete game for the Friday regional game, but this time it's a shutout. 10 K, 5 BB, 3 hits. Not his best control, but he walked 2 in the last 2 innings once his pitch count got over 100. I really hope it wasn't the last outing of his career, but he's toast for the regional and I'm almost 100% sure Mizzou can't win this regional (especially considering I don't think they will win another game).

I made mention in the minor league draft thread about how bad of an announcer Brian Jordan is. Crow's slider was unhittable today. If I was the Rays, I'd draft him first and go with a possible rotation of Kazmir/Shields/Price/Garza/Crow, and then use other pitchers to get position players.