2008 College Baseball Thread

chimpy2121

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fullerton got spanked. IT comes down to the fact that there pitching is not good and that doesn't bode well in post-season play. Offensively they are as good as any past Titan team (same Titan offensive style too) but the rotation just doesn't have any aces.

UCLA is in a real good spot now.

What a stellar start by Arisbo. Titans now get the Bruins in another 30 minutes or so. There backs are to the wall, but the complete game definately helped. I assume Renken will get the nod in the game vs the Bruins.

Come on Titans, find a way to pull out two more wins this regional!!!!

Whooo, too late for me to post last night, but freaking sweet. Titans storm back and win and are hosting the Stanford Cardinals this upcoming weekend in the Super's.

Hell of a job. Stanford swept the Titans in Palo Alto to open the season and have dominated the Titans the past couple years. Here's to hoping the Titans put an end to that domination and start a nice streak of there own!!!!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
Mizzu freaking choked.

Gibson choked. He lost both the regional games and had a blown save in the 9th of a Big 12 Tournament game that would have locked up a spot in the championship game for Mizzou.

Someone needs to teach that kid a moving fastball. He gets lit up when he sees guys that can catch up to it. I think a lot of guys have realized they need to look fastball every pitch. His slider is sick, but if his fastball is a straight arrow, he's not going to be a good pro.

Also, that Ole Miss closer, Bittle, was freaking awful. Sure he struck out a guy for every out, but Mizzou has a terrible offense and he struggled. 1/2 his pitches were in the dirt, he walked a few, gave up a few hits and a couple runs that should have ended Ole Miss' season. Pro hitters would stare at his junk in the dirt and then he would be in trouble.

Oh, and Jason, I said Mizzou would lose the next 2 games. Gibson decided to suck the last month plus for the most part and the bullpen couldn't get a guy out all season. Therefore, Mizzou was a one man team (Crow). A lot of wasted talent on that team this year.

Haha, man I've been here. I'm just waiting for everything to go wrong. I'll tell you, Sunday and Mondays game were two of most exciting I've ever been too here. I got my tix for every game of the SR. Luckily they're under the roof so I can avoid the sun with 2:00, 12:00 and 1:00 starts.

IF we win, we have all tough ass matchup with Miami, CSF/Stanford, and NCSt/UGA.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 06:49 PM)
I dont know much about Missouri but was Gibson a starter at some point in the season?

Yeah, he got moved to the pen a few weeks ago because the bullpen was so bad and he had some time as closer last year. He wasn't doing all that great as a starter anyway.

Dan, thats exactly why I love Gibson. He has a tremendous arm, a plus secondary pitch and with a proper pitching coach I think you can turn him into a pretty good pro. He also has a great build. Plus, I don't think he'll end up going in the first round or two, which means there is a chance that he turns into a very good value pick (since guys with his arm/build don't usually grow on trees).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:56 PM)
Dan, thats exactly why I love Gibson. He has a tremendous arm, a plus secondary pitch and with a proper pitching coach I think you can turn him into a pretty good pro. He also has a great build. Plus, I don't think he'll end up going in the first round or two, which means there is a chance that he turns into a very good value pick (since guys with his arm/build don't usually grow on trees).

Well, he did own at the Cape last summer, only Crow did better. If he does well there again and has a good season next year (doesn't even have to be dominant), he'll be a first rounder. Missouri is beginning to earn a reputation of developing pitchers so I think his issues might be different than a good pitching coach. He is projectable, but right now he has velocity and one plus pitch. His fastball is freaking terrible right now. He needs to gain weight, but he sure as hell is trying from what I hear. He is on a 5,000 calorie diet or something stupid (2k being typical for most people, 3k for athletes) and can't add to his frame.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 01:39 AM)
Well, he did own at the Cape last summer, only Crow did better. If he does well there again and has a good season next year (doesn't even have to be dominant), he'll be a first rounder. Missouri is beginning to earn a reputation of developing pitchers so I think his issues might be different than a good pitching coach. He is projectable, but right now he has velocity and one plus pitch. His fastball is freaking terrible right now. He needs to gain weight, but he sure as hell is trying from what I hear. He is on a 5,000 calorie diet or something stupid (2k being typical for most people, 3k for athletes) and can't add to his frame.

Hey, same as me :)

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
Haha, man I've been here. I'm just waiting for everything to go wrong. I'll tell you, Sunday and Mondays game were two of most exciting I've ever been too here. I got my tix for every game of the SR. Luckily they're under the roof so I can avoid the sun with 2:00, 12:00 and 1:00 starts.

IF we win, we have all tough ass matchup with Miami, CSF/Stanford, and NCSt/UGA.

damn, youre going to roast in that heat. have fun.

Gonna go to tomorrow's Titans game. Hopefully I'll be seeing them go for a super regional win. Come on Titans, lets snap the funk we've had against those pesky Trees and kick some super regional ass!!!

Christian Colon and Brown are what I call super freshman too!!!

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
Tough loss today to the MVC, chimpy!

Yeah, it was a tough loss to the fighting Kenny Williams, but oh well; can't expect to win when your pitchers give 5 free passes out (a lot of them with 2 outs). The pitching just flat out sucked. Hopefully Fairel can give us a good outing tomorrow and then you all can see Strauss on Sunday.

just got back home. Really frustrated that we lost to Arizona last night. 1-12? or something like that with RISP. But those two relievers were awesome. I really like the closer more than the guy who threw 96-97. The closer reminded me of Jenks.

see what happens today.

nice win by FSU today. It'll be interesting to see them in the CWS if they win tomorrow b/c I dont think they have a true ace to match other's aces. But they can mash anyone's number two and threes.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
nice win by FSU today. It'll be interesting to see them in the CWS if they win tomorrow b/c I dont think they have a true ace to match other's aces. But they can mash anyone's number two and threes.

Yeah, it frustrating to not have that dominant starter. Fairel has looked pretty good this season outside of the game against you guys (well, really up til that 10 run 5th). Elih Villanueva has been inconsistent, and the same with Parker.

Questionable call my Martin already for tomorrow...he's sending out freshman Geoff Parker for the start instead of senior Ryan Strauss (Sox draftee). Parker has been good for the majority of the season, but he had arm issues for the ACC Tourney and didn't start. He also got rocked by Bucknell. I would much rather see Strauss start who has been extremely solid this year no matter what the situation.

My Titans have there backs to the wall. They had a couple spots in yesterdays game that could have gotten them the extra run or two they would have needed to pull out the win. Now they got to win 2 straight against a good Cardinal squad.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
My Titans have there backs to the wall. They had a couple spots in yesterdays game that could have gotten them the extra run or two they would have needed to pull out the win. Now they got to win 2 straight against a good Cardinal squad.

Ratliff's homers last night = bomb

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
Ratliff's homers last night = bomb

Yep, Castro hit a HR too. The guy pitching for Stanford looked very good (seemed to really mix his pitches in and had a nasty breaking ball). Yanks took him in the supplemental and he looks like that prototypical lefty.