TidBit: Ozuna is fully healed and feeling strong

Kalapse

Since we really haven't heard much on Ozuna's recovery from the broken fibula I thought I'd post this:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...oxnt18.article#

White Sox in Brief: Fields refuses to get caught up in 3B hype

February 18, 2008

BY JOE COWLEY [email protected]

TUCSON, Ariz. -- ''Dumb'' suits third baseman Josh Fields just fine for now.

Arriving at spring training five days early Sunday, Fields saw the media flock around him to discuss the highly anticipated spring battle between him and veteran Joe Crede.

Manager Ozzie Guillen has Fields atop the depth chart simply because Crede is coming off season-ending back surgery and is a trade possibility because of his contract status. But Fields was saying all the right things anyway.

''I think you just stay off the Internet and stay away from the papers and stuff,'' he said of the hype. ''Try to do the best you can. Everyone is going to show up to the park to answer questions every day -- Ozzie, myself and Joe, too. Both have to prepare as if we're going to be the starter. If not for the White Sox, then someplace.''

Easier said than done for Fields?

''I don't think so because I'm young,'' he said. ''Still kind of naive and dumb. I'm just coming in and hoping for the best. I know nothing is set in stone, and I could still be back in [Class AAA] Charlotte. If that's the worst-case scenario I'm looking at, then it's really not a bad situation.''

Nasty boy

The hope is that right-handed reliever Mike MacDougal's dismal 2-5 record and 6.80 ERA from 2007 are behind him. If Sunday was any indication, they are.

Guillen said MacDougal opened up some eyes in his first bullpen session.

''Sometimes you wonder why this kid gets hit,'' Guillen said. ''I wish he could talk to a hitter and ask him because I don't think he believes what we tell him. His stuff is nasty. I don't think he believes what he has. I was behind the plate, watching him throw the ball, and sometimes you shake your head and wonder, 'How can you do that?'''

Up and running

Versatile infielder Pablo Ozuna also arrived at camp Sunday and said the right fibula he broke last May 27 is completely healed.

Ozuna said he got about 100 at-bats in winter ball and felt strong playing mostly second base.

''I can do the same drills that everyone else is doing,'' he said.

He'll get a chance to win the second-base job, but Guillen said he more likely will be a key reserve.

Channeling his best Hawk voice ... I love Pablo.

On a side note, It would be nice if Mike McD remembered how to pitch.

Didn't Pablo hit a game winning HR against Guardardo (sorry if I didn't spell it right) in '06? I just remember the call:

PABLOOOOOOO... OZUNA!!!

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Feb 18, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
Didn't Pablo hit a game winning HR against Guardardo (sorry if I didn't spell it right) in '06? I just remember the call:

PABLOOOOOOO... OZUNA!!!

no, the sox were down by one in the 9th. 2 outs and pablo hit a hr to tie it. so unexpected obviously. sox won the game. i remember, it was great :)

QUOTE(kjshoe04 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 12:35 AM)
I love pablo. I'll never forget his walk off bunt single to win the game in Frank's first game back at the cell. I missed watching pablo for most of 2007.

That was one of the best plays of '06. Perfect bunt.

May 22

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/multimedia...s&ym=200605

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
no, the sox were down by one in the 9th. 2 outs and pablo hit a hr to tie it. so unexpected obviously. sox won the game. i remember, it was great :)

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)
That was one of the best plays of '06. Perfect bunt.

May 22

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/multimedia...s&ym=200605

I was there... watchin' the squirrel. :)

Solid game.