College lecture halls

Texsox

Yesterday, I was listening to some students discuss where to sit in class. At first I thought it was distasteful gallows humor. After listening I realized they were seriously discussing it and concerned for their own safety. There are thousands of colleges and tens of thousands of lecture halls, hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of classrooms. The odds are so small we would ever be around a gunman.

Sad that the conversation did make sense.

I sit up front. Probably always will.

when i was at u of i i had quite a few classes in foellinger auditorium, which was a big building at the head of the quad. the room itself was massive, and it did have a balcony as well. usually where i sat was dictated by the class. i had a roman mythology course with a really great professor who was very into it. for his class i always tried to be up front. for econ, which i loathed, i was usually up top in the balcony.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
when i was at u of i i had quite a few classes in foellinger auditorium, which was a big building at the head of the quad. the room itself was massive, and it did have a balcony as well. usually where i sat was dictated by the class. i had a roman mythology course with a really great professor who was very into it. for his class i always tried to be up front. for econ, which i loathed, i was usually up top in the balcony.

gottheil?

At SIU, i had lots of my pre-major classes in the big lecture halls. there were never any assigned seats but usually people sat in the same spots. I was usually two-thirds the way back, middle section on the aisle in case i felt like bailing quickly and quietly......

...not that i ever did mind you....yup....stayed the whole time for the whole lecture....even took notes...yup.....lots of notes....

:lolhitting

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
exactly. dude was a trip. is he still around?

his class was perfect for foellinger because it was part class, part performance.

*click*

eskimos, canada......

yessir he is, i had him freshmen year and still teaches those classes.

The majority of people on this campus had to go through the legend that is gottheil.

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
*click*

eskimos, canada......

The majority of people on this campus had to go through the legend that is gottheil.

good for him. i'd kind of figured he'd have retired now since he seemed older when i had him back in 91. he did seem to have boundless energy, though.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
good for him. i'd kind of figured he'd have retired now since he seemed older when i had him back in 91. he did seem to have boundless energy, though.

I don't think that was his name, unless I'm thinking of a different class. Oh crap, what was his name! Wasn't it Tymchyshyn or something like that? And Doc, I think I was in that class.

ok, i just checked the school site and gottheil was actually an econ prof. somehow i was confusing him with the classic civilization professor who taught mythology.

but seeing gottheil's photo reminded me of him as well. he was good and made a subject i loathed tolerable. although i don't think i had him until my sophomore or junior year, 92 or 93.

now it's going to bother me on the mythology prof.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
ok, i just checked the school site and gottheil was actually an econ prof. somehow i was confusing him with the classic civilization professor who taught mythology.

but seeing gottheil's photo reminded me of him as well. he was good and made a subject i loathed tolerable. although i don't think i had him until my sophomore or junior year, 92 or 93.

now it's going to bother me on the mythology prof.

Please refer to post above yours...

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
exactly. dude was a trip. is he still around?

his class was perfect for foellinger because it was part class, part performance.

Several dorm mates of mine had that class and said it was a hoot. I think I took a film class instead the year everybody took that.

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
*click*

eskimos, canada......

I had doc's post highlighted and was going to post *click*, then went to page 2.

The thing with Gottheil was his test was nothing like what he taught, it was all application and figuring s*** out on the actual test. Didn't like half the class get a C or worse for him usually? Or a very high number fail? I remember hearing something like that.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 12:32 AM)
I had doc's post highlighted and was going to post *click*, then went to page 2.

The thing with Gottheil was his test was nothing like what he taught, it was all application and figuring s*** out on the actual test. Didn't like half the class get a C or worse for him usually? Or a very high number fail? I remember hearing something like that.

yeah, i can guarantee i got a C or worse. econ was not my thing. probably explains my inability to keep my personal finances in order...

and lol and SnB and Krush bringing up *click*. that is just awesome. you guys have taken me back today.